Rutgers Pregame Thread

rbkl

Owners of 6th straight losses, Indiana comes to the crossroads of a must win game against Rutgers in Piscataway.

This is eerily becoming similar to the football season when compared to Purdue. Not to bring up bad memories, but there was a hot start for Indiana, cold start for Purdue. As we enter the back half of the season, those roles seemed to flip after a Purdue win against Ohio State in football and now a Purdue win against Michigan State. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my prediction for the game in painful detail. 

We lose the opening tip. 

Both teams have empty possessions the first three minutes of the game. 

Rutgers breaks the scoring drought prior to the under 16 timeout and we go to that break down 6-0.  We look lost and disorganized  

After the timeout some guy for Rutgers who shoots about 22% from 3 pt range starts shooting like Steph Curry and by the under 12 break we are down 14-5. 

At this point Al finally comes in for McRoberts and gives us a quick four points to make it 14-9.  

Two more threes from Baby Steph, down 20-7. Both of those come after Smith loses him twice and can’t close out in time  

Juwan goes to the bench with his second foul. Moore comes in and gives us 2 points on a put back, a rebound, and one altered shot. He promptly goes back to the bench after losing his man on defense and is not heard from again. 

After somewhat getting it together we make a run and close the halftime deficit to four, 30-26. 

We get the ball to start the second and promptly turn it over. Baby Steph hitsba three starting a 7-0 run to start the half for Rutgers we are now down 11. 

We eventually fall behind by 15. We claw back but can never break the four point barrier. 

I stress eat too many M & Ms during the game  

In the game thread I like posts from an, “Archie needs time guy,” and an, “I’m starting to have some worries,” guy because I can identify with both. 

At least two posts in the game thread make me spit out my water. 

No one will actually make it through this entire post. 

25 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We lose the opening tip. 

Rutgers breaks the scoring drought prior to the under 16 timeout and we go to that break down 6-0.  We look lost and disorganized  

After the timeout some guy for Rutgers who shoots about 22% from 3 pt range starts shooting like Steph Curry and by the under 12 break we are down 14-5. 

At this point Al finally comes in for McRoberts and gives us a quick four points to make it 14-9.  

Two more threes from Baby Steph, down 20-7. Both of those come after Smith loses him twice and can’t close out in time  

Juwan goes to the bench with his second foul. Moore comes in and gives us 2 points on a put back, a rebound, and one altered shot. He promptly goes back to the bench after losing his man on defense and is not heard from again. 

After somewhat getting it together we make a run and close the halftime deficit to four, 30-26. 

We get the ball to start the second and promptly turn it over. Baby Steph hitsba three starting a 7-0 run to start the half for Rutgers we are now down 11. 

We eventually fall behind by 15. We claw back but can never break the four point barrier. 

In the game thread I like posts from an, “Archie needs time guy,” and an, “I’m starting to have some worries,” guy because I can identify with both. 

This might be the most well constructed post i have ever read.  And i honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if this is exactly how the game goes

Not sure that a team I've been a fan of has needed a win more than this IU team @ Rutgers. I don't expect it. 

This is my expectation: That we play inspired basketball. That the only people that want to play inspired basketball get to play. That Archie shakes things up a bit, and someone (cough, cough, Cliff) who hasn't been getting minutes, gets extended minutes. If this happens, then it shows me the players are still in it, and it shows me that Archie is doing everything he can.

IF we don't play inspired basketball, then we may not win another game all year. 

1 hour ago, Riverrat said:

How do we keep losing the tip if justin really has a 48" vertical? I have seen him get out jumped by guys who arent that much taller that cant jump over a pop can.

48" overall vertical, which means he gets to take more than one step i think.  I don't remember what his standing vertical was but i think it might be like 14 or something.  He can't seem to get off the floor unless he is running

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

48" overall vertical, which means he gets to take more than one step i think.  I don't remember what his standing vertical was but i think it might be like 14 or something.  He can't seem to get off the floor unless he is running

I get that it's a max vert but I still do not see how Justin can jump that high with his size and not be better on jump balls, rebounding, blocking shots, etc... 

48" has him in extremely rare air and I just do not see it on the court. Zion Williamson shows that type of ability, vince Carter did, but I do not see it out of any of our players that all supposedly have 40"+ verticals.

8 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

I get that it's a max vert but I still do not see how Justin can jump that high with his size and not be better on jump balls, rebounding, blocking shots, etc... 

48" has him in extremely rare air and I just do not see it on the court. Zion Williamson shows that type of ability, vince Carter did, but I do not see it out of any of our players that all supposedly have 40"+ verticals.

Oladipo was one of those guys that could really elevate. I still remember his greatest missed dunk of all time again to Michigan. He could fly. I don't see anything like that from Smith. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but he usually just lays it in around the rim instead of trying to dunk everything.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Oladipo was one of those guys that could really elevate. I still remember his greatest missed dunk of all time again to Michigan. He could fly. I don't see anything like that from Smith. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but he usually just lays it in around the rim instead of trying to dunk everything.

my favorite missed dunk of all time

2 hours ago, Riverrat said:

How do we keep losing the tip if justin really has a 48" vertical? I have seen him get out jumped by guys who arent that much taller that cant jump over a pop can.

One could argue that winning the tip is more about timing and length rather than jumping ability.  However, to your point, he sure doesn’t play like he has a 48” vertical.  IMO, he should be playing like Vince Carter did at his time at UNC.  Dude literally tried to dunk everything and on everyone.

17 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We lose the opening tip. 

Read it all the way through, amazing!:jumprope:

I would like to see plays to get Al, RP, Fitz, and Anderson open shots.  We all know they can shoot, keep giving them the ball and get them going.  The team has to make outside shots and free up the lane for Juan and Romeo.

Use the bench more!  I don’t expect Race, Moore, or Jake to play earth shattering minutes, but give them some time!  More than one sub.  Allow them to show what they can do good or bad because you can’t get much worse than what the others are giving you.  In particular Moore who has played more inspired than a couple starters.

Time to get a win so I think it would be nice to see Archie press more, change a few things on offense, or anything he feels will work to get it done.  He is the coach so it’s in his hands but the exact same game plan won’t cut it.

6 hours ago, Riverrat said:

All I got to say is shame...shame on the IU video/media dept for hyping us up all offseason. First I thought we had some shooters on this team then I thought the whole team was ripped and we’re going to out physical everyone and finally I thought we had athleticism that would translate to a big season for some of our guys....I won’t forget this when next season starts to roll around and the Twitter vids start up again. Won’t fool me twice!!

21 hours ago, rbkl said:

This is eerily becoming similar to the football season when compared to Purdue. Not to bring up bad memories, but there was a hot start for Indiana, cold start for Purdue. As we enter the back half of the season, those roles seemed to flip after a Purdue win against Ohio State in football and now a Purdue win against Michigan State. 

Hopefully the trend continues and they collapse at the end of the season like their football team did.

Archived