Rutgers Pregame Thread

rbkl

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm surprised that so many favor Devonte over Al.  Forget the suspension for a moment, but Al's shooting from the field (both from 2 and 3) is better.  

I think Al us the more consistant player for the most part, but i think Green, if he can get things going right again offers more upside and can do things Al cant.  Not a knock ok Al in the least bit.  If "bad Green" shows up, Al is a better option.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I think Al us the more consistant player for the most part, but i think Green, if he can get things going right again offers more upside and can do things Al cant.  Not a knock ok Al in the least bit.  If "bad Green" shows up, Al is a better option.

Give me Al all day everyday. He's one of the few guys on the team that brings consistent effort right now. You always know what you're going to get out of him.

3 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Give me Al all day everyday. He's one of the few guys on the team that brings consistent effort right now. You always know what you're going to get out of him.

Its really hard for me to argue with that.  It goes back to Troy Williams;  "good Troy" was great!  He could do things that nobody else in the gym could do.  "Bad Troy" made you wonder if he had ever seen a basketball before.

That is not a direct comparison between the 2 players (Green/Troy)....but if he is on, Green gives you more than Al.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My prediction—

The polar vortex will thaw the Hoosiers out, we shoot over 55% from the field and 80% from the charity stripe, and win going away—

IU 82

RU 68

I know hell is getting ready to freeze over n all....but we arent shooting 80% from the freethrow line.

2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Its really hard for me to argue with that.  It goes back to Troy Williams;  "good Troy" was great!  He could do things that nobody else in the gym could do.  "Bad Troy" made you wonder if he had ever seen a basketball before.

That is not a direct comparison between the 2 players (Green/Troy)....but if he is on, Green gives you more than Al.

Good Troy visited us a lot more often than Good Devonte does.  

3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Agree. Again, Al is much, much more consistent. But when on, Green can create offense. Al can knock down open shots and occasionally get to the basket and draw a foul, but Green can take a couple dribbles on his defender and then knock down a 3, he can create offense for others as well. But he's got to be on and unfortunately that hasn't happened much. I just picked Green because this offense needs more creators. 

But again, I'd like to see that lineup with each of them at the 2. 

8 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Outside of OSU last year I'm not seeing where all of this "good Devonte" talk comes from. Sure he's got talent, but he's in the middle of his junior year. At some point he just is what he is.

This is essentially a tournament game for IU.  Lose this, and then lose Saturday, you're 3-8 in conference, with 10 overall losses.  No recovering from that unless you win the Big Ten tournament.

I'll allow IU 13 losses to make the NCAA tournament

• The 8 we currently have
  • 1 in the Big Ten Tournament
  • Saturday at MSU
  • Home against MSU
  • At Minnesota
  • At Iowa

That would make us 10-10 in conference. 

Everything else is an elimination game.

1 hour ago, Officer Obie said:

My prediction - 

It's gonna be cold in Piscataway Wednesday night.

So wear a jacket or something. And maybe even a hat.

Yes, for those attending the game, they're anticipating about 16 degrees at opening tip with wind gusts north of 30 mph, with an overnight low of 5.   It's not too far a walk from the lots, but the pathways close to the RAC can get a bit icy (which is an annual gripe from our fanbase).

21 minutes ago, RUChoppin said:

Yes, for those attending the game, they're anticipating about 16 degrees at opening tip with wind gusts north of 30 mph, with an overnight low of 5.   It's not too far a walk from the lots, but the pathways close to the RAC can get a bit icy (which is an annual gripe from our fanbase).

Thank goodness, we're not playing Minnesota.  :P 45 below wind chill factor predicted there. 

Regardless.  Stay safe IU fans going to the game.  Thanks to you for cheering our Hoosiers to victory !

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is essentially a tournament game for IU.  Lose this, and then lose Saturday, you're 3-8 in conference, with 10 overall losses.  No recovering from that unless you win the Big Ten tournament.

I'll allow IU 13 losses to make the NCAA tournament

• The 8 we currently have
  • 1 in the Big Ten Tournament
  • Saturday at MSU
  • Home against MSU
  • At Minnesota
  • At Iowa

That would make us 10-10 in conference. 

Everything else is an elimination game.

Nice breakdown, but I think we could go 9-11 in conference (18-13 overall) and still sneak in even with a first round BTT loss.  Go 1-1 in the BTT and I’d be pretty confident that we could get in with an 18-13 regular season record.  

Even so, it’s hard to picture us going 6-5 down the stretch here...

20 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Can the Hoosiers stop the 6 game slide? We have everything you need to know, from game day essentials, statistical comparisons and the keys to victory.

Interesting that they're anticipating Shaq Carter and Eugene Omoruyi starting together.  That's unlikely, I'd think, and has never happened before - and neither Carter/Omoruyi are wings.  More likely starting five is Baker/Mathis/Harper/Omoruyi/Doorson, though Johnson might get the nod over Doorson.

This really looks like a game that our 7-0 center Shaquille Doorson isn't going to get much burn - he's big and a fairly strong defender against other centers, but he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend against someone like Morgan.  Might see him when Moore or Fitzner is in the game, but I don't know if we'd leave him in very long if you guys are playing two PFs.  Johnson is a bit more mobile than Doorson, and we'll probably see him get 25+ min at the 5. 

As for not being able to guard Morgan on the perimeter, that's going to come down to Omoruyi.  He's probably the only one of our bigs who can guard him both underneath and outside.  Look for him to try to draw Morgan into a charge (or two) - especially if Morgan finds himself against a slower defender and looks to drive from the outside, with Omoruyi sliding in to take contact.  But if the block/charge calls go against Omoruyi, he can run into foul trouble and then Morgan would have a lot freer hand on offense.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Sad, is that a month ago I would have guaranteed a victory against bottom feeder Rutgers. Now I feel we are the underdog!, I really feel we get beat! 

Hard to win on the road especially when we have been playing so bad and Rutgers is riding a wave for them anyway 

Archived