2021 / Damon's Record

I rally have a hard time believing that a guy that scores 36 a game would not have a spot at Indiana. I know all the arguments etc... its still 36 a game. Almost what we as a team are averaging during this losing streak.   Maybe my memory is way off but Todd Leary was not the most athletic guy in the building by any stretch. I watched him a couple times shoot us back to life. We do not have anyone that can do that. If this kid flirts with the record you would have to think he can play at this level.  maybe I am way off on this but 36 a game are you kidding me.

I got to coach against the Graves boys, Brody Boyd, Colt Ryan, Michael Menser and Bryant McIntosh  and heard a lot of people say they were not IU worthy, but I believe there were spots for each of them. If this kid continues to play like this and we don't offer I guarantee he will beat us at some point in his career. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I rally have a hard time believing that a guy that scores 36 a game would not have a spot at Indiana. I know all the arguments etc... its still 36 a game. Almost what we as a team are averaging during this losing streak.   Maybe my memory is way off but Todd Leary was not the most athletic guy in the building by any stretch. I watched him a couple times shoot us back to life. We do not have anyone that can do that. If this kid flirts with the record you would have to think he can play at this level.  maybe I am way off on this but 36 a game are you kidding me.

I got to coach against the Graves boys, Brody Boyd, Colt Ryan, Michael Menser and Bryant McIntosh  and heard a lot of people say they were not IU worthy, but I believe there were spots for each of them. If this kid continues to play like this and we don't offer I guarantee he will beat us at some point in his career. 

Those names you threw out are great examples of who Brown seems to fall in line with.  The interesting thing is that I don't think there is that much separation between the kind of guys we are talking about and a Damon Bailey or Jordy Hulls.  Sometimes the will to win and work ethic can bridge the gap substantially.  My gut says Brown won't end up at a top tier Big Ten school, but there is a long way to go obviously.

23 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Prepare for disappointment

Just a guess or you know something, if IU is the "dream" school and the kid scores 36  game by the time he's a senior there will be schools on him,preferably the Hoosiers...but i can prepare for disappointment, been doing it for about 17 yrs now.

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Those names you threw out are great examples of who Brown seems to fall in line with.  The interesting thing is that I don't think there is that much separation between the kind of guys we are talking about and a Damon Bailey or Jordy Hulls.  Sometimes the will to win and work ethic can bridge the gap substantially.  My gut says Brown won't end up at a top tier Big Ten school, but there is a long way to go obviously.

Well said. Most of those guys would have given the left testicle to play at IU. Those are the guys I want. I would have done anything to have been good enough to play at IU. CBK cold have kicked me everyday if he wanted. I loved this school so much I went there instead of playing somewhere else. If given the opportunity those in state kids that just arent athletic enough to come here seem to just kill us.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Well said. Most of those guys would have given the left testicle to play at IU. Those are the guys I want. I would have done anything to have been good enough to play at IU. CBK cold have kicked me everyday if he wanted. I loved this school so much I went there instead of playing somewhere else. If given the opportunity those in state kids that just arent athletic enough to come here seem to just kill us.

To many people get caught up with the number of stars beside players names,those you named off were good players..McIntosh was a very fine Big Ten player.. Indiana needs to mix in the Browns with the Brooks and maybe things on the court will start producing better results.

I get the feel that they guys we have coming in truly want to be Hoosiers and they just happen to also be highly rated. You cannot put a grade on desire and heart. Things like being a winner and doing whatever it takes to get the win. I have talked with many out of state kids and high school basketball is just a way to pass time until AAU gets there. Its all about exposure not winning a title for many kids. Whether it a 1A or 4A title winning it in Indiana means something and those kids Like Yogi and Blueitt who have done it have that and I see many kids that just don't get it. that is hard for me to fathom.

54 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Just a guess or you know something, if IU is the "dream" school and the kid scores 36  game by the time he's a senior there will be schools on him,preferably the Hoosiers...but i can prepare for disappointment, been doing it for about 17 yrs now.

Just from what I have read from the supposed experts, he's not even close to high D1 talent. 

Sau what you will about Crean, as the majority if deserved, but he walked in and offered a short, kinda athletic guard a scholorship on the spot when I don't think he was getting a whole lot of high D1 offers.  Now i get that Hulls was better than anyone on the baseball team we had playing at the time, but a fringe big 6 player with the ability to score at a high level that will run through a brick wall if the coach asks him to thats going to play for 4 years is better than an uber athletic player still learning how to play thats only going to be here for a year.

1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Wonder what people would think if Archie came out and said "Luke Brown is better then any guard we have,I don't mean potentially better,I mean better right now"..😁

Well if he mentions him by name right now to the media then it would be an NCAA violation

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Sau what you will about Crean, as the majority if deserved, but he walked in and offered a short, kinda athletic guard a scholorship on the spot when I don't think he was getting a whole lot of high D1 offers.  Now i get that Hulls was better than anyone on the baseball team we had playing at the time, but a fringe big 6 player with the ability to score at a high level that will run through a brick wall if the coach asks him to thats going to play for 4 years is better than an uber athletic player still learning how to play thats only going to be here for a year.

I thought Hulls was already committed before Crean was hired? Maybe I’m off on that?

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I thought Hulls was already committed before Crean was hired? Maybe I’m off on that?

I thought the story went that he called the Hulls family in at like midnight or something like that(it was probably 7:30 but has fish storried its way to midnight) and met with them at The Hall and offered him on the spot.

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Hulls wasn't a fringe big-6 player. He was a top 150 recruit (109 on Rivals). He was higher ranked than several scholarship players on today's roster (Green, Durham, Forrester and Moore). He was ranked right around, and better on some services, Morgan, Phinisee and Damezi Anderson. 

2 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Wonder what people would think if Archie came out and said "Luke Brown is better then any guard we have,I don't mean potentially better,I mean better right now"..😁

That would give me a combination of cold chills, anger and laughter.  I'm not sure I could feel more conflicted about such a statement.

I know what those "in the know" have said about Brown and regardless of how he develops, I'm going to enjoy following this Hoosier baller.  I'd love to see him develop to the point where Archie felt he was a must-have and offered.  That would be a special story.  Regardless of where he ends up, I'll be following his story until it's all told.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hulls wasn't a fringe big-6 player. He was a top 150 recruit (109 on Rivals). He was higher ranked than several scholarship players on today's roster (Green, Durham, Forrester and Moore). He was ranked right around, and better on some services, Morgan, Phinisee and Damezi Anderson. 

My appologies sir.  I didn't realize he was ranked that high.  Well that kinda shoots my whole narrative in the @$$.  

I don’t see a Damon Bailey there...but this is about scoring more than him. (Visit the Ethan Morton thread If you want a Damon Bailey type kid) What Jalen is going against higher level competition should be noted. I love how he can catch and shoot, step back and shoot, shoot on the move, and yes finishes ok in the lane. He isn’t a big guard that Archie likes but dang that kid is in range as soon as he steps in the gym. I can’t help but think with this team and all the driving and scoring in the paint could really use a guy to kick it out to like Jalen to knock down shots...and even though he isn’t as long as other guards he has enough quickness to hold his own on defense.

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get the feel that they guys we have coming in truly want to be Hoosiers and they just happen to also be highly rated. You cannot put a grade on desire and heart. Things like being a winner and doing whatever it takes to get the win. I have talked with many out of state kids and high school basketball is just a way to pass time until AAU gets there. Its all about exposure not winning a title for many kids. Whether it a 1A or 4A title winning it in Indiana means something and those kids Like Yogi and Blueitt who have done it have that and I see many kids that just don't get it. that is hard for me to fathom.

Bluiett, Yogi, etc. played a harder schedule and ALSO....played and performes well at the highest level of AAU.  Luke Brown hasn’t done that.  There are kids that have averaged high points per game and still don’t make it to high major...Luke Bumbalough from New Castle is going to Ball State.  Ozzie Johnson will end up at a mid major most likely.  Jalen Moore averaged like 38 ppg and isn’t even playing D1.  

5 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I thought the story went that he called the Hulls family in at like midnight or something like that(it was probably 7:30 but has fish storried its way to midnight) and met with them at The Hall and offered him on the spot.

My family was very close to the Hulls I went to Jordy’s wedding and his brothers and JC,his dad, trained me in basketball and our mothers were best friends and still are. That story is correct and it was more like 10-10:30 and they met and before he left crean told him that he needed him and offered him on the spot

8 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

My family was very close to the Hulls I went to Jordy’s wedding and his brothers and JC,his dad, trained me in basketball and our mothers were best friends and still are. That story is correct and it was more like 10-10:30 and they met and before he left crean told him that he needed him and offered him on the spot

Ok, well at least i wasnt totally wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Archived