When Morgan Flexes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind it, but I think it does provide insight into what is wrong with this team.  When a player flexes after their own accomplishment it screams "ME!!!!" 

But if those same players don't show that same emotion when things aren't going well for the team, especially a senior co-captain, well.....

Collin Hartman regularly says that Yogi Ferrell was a leader and got in your face and held everyone accountable.  Ferrell also celebrated his three-pointers.  It can be both, but without the leadership part, the rest seems kind of selfish to me.

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I don't mind it, but I think it does provide insight into what is wrong with this team.  When a player flexes after their own accomplishment it screams "ME!!!!" 

But if those same players don't show that same emotion when things aren't going well for the team, especially a senior co-captain, well.....

Collin Hartman regularly says that Yogi Ferrell was a leader and got in your face and held everyone accountable.  Ferrell also celebrated his three-pointers.  It can be both, but without the leadership part, the rest seems kind of selfish to me.

One year we had a team with too much ME. Half way through year we bought new practice gear with only the letters INAM. on the shorts and jerseys. It's not about me. Surprisingly something so trivial when pointed out was all that was needed.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

All I'll say about flexin' is you'd better be winnin'!

Will Sheehee flexing during a beatdown at Mackey was epic, but I'd bench a kid for flexing while the team was losing. 

Smack is for winners just like coffee is for closers!

Sprinkles are for winners!

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

I see your point but I feel like the emotion can help spark a momentum change. The rally your team type. Also, it sometimes fires up the home crowd which snowballs into communication problems for the opposing team. 

I dunno. I’m Just rambling at 2am

I want players with emotion but I hate it in football when some one catches a pass for a first down then they get up and act liked they did something huge.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want players with emotion but I hate it in football when some one catches a pass for a first down then they get up and act liked they did something huge.

I agree but with this team we look like the walking dead any form of excitement or emotion is welcomed from me. If we can get a guy to hit 2 3pt shots in a row I would applauded the whole team team doing cartwheels down the floor. Some any sign of life would be greay

I interpret this a little differently, at least in Juwan's case.

Here's an undersized guy who is doing his best inside against players often multiple inches taller, and usually tens of pounds heavier. He is trying to out muscle to hold his position offensively, and to move his guy off his spot defensively. It has to be taking a toll on him both mentally and physically.

So, when Juwan beats his guy either with quickness, nifty footwork, or a power move, I see his flexing as a way to say to his opponents, "you might be bigger than me, but I ain't backing down....there's more fight in this dog!"

May be wrong on this, but if I am Juwan, I am doing what I can to get in my opponent's head, and let him know that at least one guy is not going down without a fight.

A friend of mine was a spot/relief pitcher for a small Christian college.  One afternoon, they were getting pummeled and he was sent in for mop-up duty.  He's my size, so he didn't have a real strong arm.  Rarely threw a fastball because decent hitters would tee off on him if he did.

Anyway, big kid comes up, and he's throwing his typical junk trying to fool the guy.  Guy rocks back and blasts one out of the park.  Looks at my buddy and says "Get that sh*t out of here."  We both enjoyed a good laugh as he was telling me about it.  He was such a straight arrow and that made him telling the story that much more hilarious. 

I fully approve of smack like that and flexing when you have a reason, but when you're getting thumped, you aren't backing it up and should shut up and hustle until you're in the game.  Emotion is fine, but there's a big difference between emotion and smack.  Save the smack for winning time...JMO.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A friend of mine was a spot/relief pitcher for a small Christian college.  One afternoon, they per getting pummeled and he was sent in for mop-up duty.  He's my size, so he didn't have a real strong arm.  Rarely threw a fastball because decent hitters would tee off on him if he did.

Anyway, big kid comes up, and he's throwing his typical junk trying to fool the guy.  Guy rocks back and blasts one out of the park.  Looks at my buddy and says "Get that sh*t out of here."  We both enjoyed a good laugh as he was telling me about it.  He was such a straight arrow and that made him telling the story that much more hilarious. 

I fully approve of smack like that and flexing when you have a reason, but when you're getting thumped, you aren't backing it up and should shut up and hustle until you're in the game.  Emotion is fine, but there's a big difference between emotion and smack.  Save the smack for winning time...JMO.

Yep.  As I posted above..... a time and place for everything. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Again. Complete opposite in my camp. I want fun, emotion....as much as possible. If that's what it takes to lift the walking dead that we've been for a few weeks so be it. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

A friend of mine was a spot/relief pitcher for a small Christian college.  One afternoon, they were getting pummeled and he was sent in for mop-up duty.  He's my size, so he didn't have a real strong arm.  Rarely threw a fastball because decent hitters would tee off on him if he did.

Well when me and my  friends would play pickup ball there was plenty of trash talk.  Even when I played in church league we would talk a little and one time when I started a game hitting my first 4 3's I went by the bench and told them to put someone else on me because the guy guarding me couldn't stop me.  Just saying this if the trash talk is just in for fun it is fine but when it goes over the line when it is bad.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Again. Complete opposite in my camp. I want fun, emotion....as much as possible. If that's what it takes to lift the walking dead that we've been for a few weeks so be it. 

The worst for me was the Colts whenever they intercepted a pass they would go to the other end of the field to pose for a picture.  That is alright if you are winning but when they did that down 17 against the Patriots I was not a fan of it.

I 100% agree that enthusiasm is a very positive thing to have.  I like players pumping each other up.  The chemistry and camaraderie that you feel when you're playing well together is contagious and hard to find elsewhere.  It's one of the best, if not the best, aspect about playing team sports.  

This team lacks enthusiasm among other things.

The flex is benign these days inasmuch as pretty much every team has guys doing it.  I personally think there are better ways to celebrate, normally in a team context, but that's me.  A chest bump, etc.  Do our guys even high five?  They are solemn and grim.  They are lucky to be able to be playing high level sports, something most sports fans wish they could do but cannot.  It should be fun, uplifting, and something you can grow from as a person.

And I agree with the idea that you look like you're an idiot when you're down double digits late and flexing.  Horrible optics. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The worst for me was the Colts whenever they intercepted a pass they would go to the other end of the field to pose for a picture.  That is alright if you are winning but when they did that down 17 against the Patriots I was not a fan of it.

Every pro football team does that.

Until a year or so ago, NFL stood for No Fun League. You would hope that college kids would get the same latitude to have fun and act like...kids 

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I interpret this a little differently, at least in Juwan's case.

Here's an undersized guy who is doing his best inside against players often multiple inches taller, and usually tens of pounds heavier. He is trying to out muscle to hold his position offensively, and to move his guy off his spot defensively. It has to be taking a toll on him both mentally and physically.

So, when Juwan beats his guy either with quickness, nifty footwork, or a power move, I see his flexing as a way to say to his opponents, "you might be bigger than me, but I ain't backing down....there's more fight in this dog!"

May be wrong on this, but if I am Juwan, I am doing what I can to get in my opponent's head, and let him know that at least one guy is not going down without a fight.

This times a thousand. Well stated. Juwan fights like a junkyard dog on offense and defense. He's played through injuries and proved his mettle. He competes for every rebound. To me, his flexing is as much about frustration and competitiveness as it is ego. We're lucky to have at least one player with his tenacity. 

With that being said, I hope he uses that alpha status to get his teammates refocused on the singular priority of winning as a team. Whether it's done in public or private, getting everyone to follow his lead could be the biggest legacy he leaves from his time at IU. Some of the team may just want to borrow some of his confidence and fight until they get theirs back.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I should probably expose a tad of my past. Even though I was raised in Chicago I hated Notre Dame and everything it stood for. My first college football game (or any game for that matter) was the Orange Bowl and the Canes in 1983. Something always stuck with me about the arrogance and cockiness of those Canes teams. Hit stick and talk sh-- was the slogan. Loved it. Reminded me of what IU Hoops was growing up. We had so much confidence and we lost our way. 

I'm not saying IU needs to go full Canes mode.....but I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of emotion from the guys. Goes without saying when down 20 it looks foolish.....point is don't get down 20. 

Let's not forget Juwan's multiple shoulder injuries.  And his surgery.  When he  was not able to flex.   Man.... I love four year guys. Who stick it out through the tough times.  Juwan has come a long way since his freshman year.   To me, he is IU basketball.  No different than D.J. White.

Archived