Knight on Miller

46 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

Is that a recent quote or one made immediately after the hire.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, Fiveoutofsix said:

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

Thanks for posting that.  Like a good fan, I remember him saying Archie can coach, but forgot (ignored) the part about patience and it not happening in a year.

23 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

That is a quote we need to have pinned at the top. RMK is NOT going to praise anything for IU easily that’s for certain.

I dont think necessarily it was praise for IU,but more so the fans for getting a coach who he thought would do a good job....i thought RMK knew Archies Dad from the coaching circles and had respect for him as a coach.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is Bob Knight still in tune enough with the way today's game is played to know what an effective coach is and what an effective coach isn't?

Regardless of the way the game is played, Knight knew how to motivate kids... whether his tactics were appropriate is up for discussion, but he could get kids to play hard 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Is Bob Knight still in tune enough with the way today's game is played to know what an effective coach is and what an effective coach isn't?

If he were speaking how how to coach today’s kids I might consider that, but his quote seems to be speaking about Archie’s coaching IQ and ability to build a winner. I’d trust Knight on that assessment and any advice he’d have on hunting and fishing.

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I dont think necessarily it was praise for IU,but more so the fans for getting a coach who he thought would do a good job....i thought RMK knew Archies Dad from the coaching circles and had respect for him as a coach.

I certainly didn’t think he was praising IU as an institution by any means. But it’s hard enough for Knight to praise anything even associated with IU. And that would include CAM

33 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Check out @MarchiePriller’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarchiePriller/status/1090443914551660544?s=09

Dan is a piece of work!

Dan is well Dan.  I respect the work he did at IU.  I was trying to find a press conference when his team loss to Penn State before the Big Ten Tourney.  This is the same dude that played the kids he kicked off before he was canned.  Same kids that didnt showup for practice the day after he was named interim.  The only guy that showed up was Gordon.  

Anyhow, I do beleive that he wants IU to win.  However, one has to question why Miller is hardly on his radio show.  

34 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Check out @MarchiePriller’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarchiePriller/status/1090443914551660544?s=09

Dan is a piece of work!

Dan= Tool. Can’t stand him. Will never listen to any of his shows. Saw he was doing the game last night and I quickly switched to something else. He is a Complete joke. I don’t care if he has anything nice to say about Indiana In the near future. You can't erase all the BS he has spread over the years. 

13 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Dan is well Dan.  I respect the work he did at IU.  I was trying to find a press conference when his team loss to Penn State before the Big Ten Tourney.  This is the same dude that played the kids he kicked off before he was canned.  Same kids that didnt showup for practice the day after he was named interim.  The only guy that showed up was Gordon.  

Anyhow, I do beleive that he wants IU to win.  However, one has to question why Miller is hardly on his radio show.  

Just to clarify. Six players did blow off practice.

However there were seven players that showed up, including Gordon.

Dakich coaching practice

As far as Miller not being on Dakich's show.... Dakich trashed Miller and his staff, after the Nebraska loss. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just to clarify. Six players did blow off practice.

However there were seven players that showed up, including Gordon.

Dakich coaching practice

As far as Miller not being on Dakich's show.... Dakich trashed Miller and his staff, after the Nebraska loss. 

I think the majority did not show including DJ.  DJ ended up trying to be a leader; however was a no show at the first practice.  The story changed for media purposes.  

Earlier in the season Miller was on his show.  It stopped - butler and purdue coaches are on what seems like every week.

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I think the majority did not show including DJ.  DJ ended up trying to be a leader; however was a no show at the first practice.  The story changed for media purposes.  

Earlier in the season Miller was on his show.  It stopped - butler and purdue coaches are on what seems like every week.

Sampson was very well liked by the players. Regarding Dakich, his personality changed when he became head coach for those 5 games...Maybe a power trip.  There's a reason why that team bowed out so early in the tournament -- which ultimately resulted in Dan not getting the head coaching gig permanently

Here are some quotes found.  Not far off of what Miller is saying.

This is after first loss to MSU - 

"They played great and we did not and that's my fault," Dakich
said. "If I'm going to be the guy that everybody pats on the back
when things go well, then I'm going to be the guy that accepts it
when things don't."

Indiana (24-5, 13-3 Big Ten) won its first two games with Dakich
in charge following Kelvin Sampson's resignation amid NCAA
allegations of major rule infractions.

"These kids have been through a lot, but it's been 10 days and
that's no excuse," Dakich said. "We have to be better.

"I don't know that I've seen a team shoot that well, but we
gave them too many easy looks and I take the blame for that."

And then he playes DeAndre who was a thorn in his side - and says this;

Then, in the first half (vs. Minnesota) DeAndre (Thomas) was really good. So I thought he deserved a chance to play. So it's more who we think can help us win this particular game and, quite frankly, it is a spot that is incredibly important in this game. It's a spot where that position, once it got productive in the Minnesota game in the tournament, helped us turn the game around. You have to have that because if you look at good teams, every good team has a four-man that is doing something. You have to get something out of that spot and in that spot I am simply going to play the guys that play best. So this week in practice, whoever we start will be a function of who played the best in today, tomorrow , Wednesday, Thursday practice sessions."

Here we go after 2008 loss to Penn State before big ten tourney.  Playinh the Knight vs Miller Press conference was an absolute joke.  Ready DD press conference and make your own conclusions.  Maybe DD should play this clip when comparing press conferences:

Head Coach Dan Dakitch 

"I always start out by saying what a great job the other team did. I mean they are playing with out Cormley and Claxton. They controlled the tempo of the game. I mean they are tough when they need to be tough. They got a three point play by Jackson to tie the basketball game. Morrissey starts to happen with a three and looked good doing it. They were tough and that enabled them to win the basketball game, but they were tough all day."

Q. Down the stretch there seems to be a lot of shots that were pretty early. Did you get the offensive possession that you wanted in OT?

A. I'll have to take a look. We got down four. We ran a play for Eric (Gordan) down three that I thought was a really good look. We practice that all the time and got a really good look, but we probably shot a little too quick. I just trust Armon (Bassett) to get the ball and shoot when it's in his hands.

Q. What led to that?

A. They were doing a good job of getting around D.J and keeping them out and I think our guys missed it truthfully. D.J was open a few times. We had a chance to, but we didn't.

Q. 15 offensive rebounds. Was that a key?

A. We talked about that and it was key. We wanted to make sure we dominated the backboard, and we didn't do that. We didn't do a good job rebounding

What was the biggest change without Jamarcus (Ellis)?

He's a really good player. He covers a lot of players. We were a little out of sink, but we should have been able to play better. His situation is his situation.

Q. Penn State was a surprise today, were you prepared?

A. There is always an upset in the last game, always. Last night we showed them film and tried to tell them and that's something we tried to fight as hard as we could as coaches. My hats off to Eddie (DeChellis) on a great win today.

I think I said this is another thread, but I'll say it again, I hate to criticize Dakich on this because he's put his blood, sweat and tears into the IU program, and comparatively I'm an absolute nobody in terms of IU basketball. 

With that said, I can't take him seriously at all, even when he makes somewhat valid points, because he is clearly biased and extremely upset that Alford didn't even get a sniff for the job. He simply cannot objectively judge Archie Miller. Heck, he's harder on Miller now then he was on Crean in year 9. He comes of like a bitter joke when discussing IU right now. 

Agree with you BGleas. Dakich is a disgrace. Indiana men’s basketball will continue to improve over the next few seasons. Dakich on the other hand should go ahead and have a good look in the mirror as he has reached the pinnacle of his career. Yep Dan, that’s as good as it gets.

Disgusting 

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Dakich will say whatever he feels will get him the most attention at the time. That is it! He probably doesn't even believe most of the crap he says, but knows it will get him attention. 

As long as he isn't going overboard and making it personal, Archie doesn't seem thin skinned enough to avoid Dan just because he was talking down about the team. 

Archived