Rutgers Post

Drroogh

30 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

How many losses in a row do we have to reach before you concede there is at least some concern? Don't get me wrong, I'd say I was on the back half of "questioning" or whatever you want to call it. For the record, I can't say I'm calling for any heads...but I will definitely settle into apathy/less concern caring about IU basketball until we can at least make it back into the tournament. You can say I'm not being a good fan, but this fanbase will dwindle to about 20-30% of what it has been if we continue to be this irrelevant. 

I am no better if I don't question Archie this season the same way I did when Tom Crean missed the tourney with Noah Vonleh. Very similar situation IMO and I have to judge accordingly. 

Uh no.....that team also had a McD AA PG in Yogi.

And Crean was in his 6th season, so had no excuse for having crap for supporting cast. 

They aren't really the same thing. Freshman rarely are that good, even 5* ones. UK has shown that even with a bunch of them, a team can struggle.

This squad has glaring weaknesses and holes you could drive a truck through.

I think we are looking at a lot of turnover and a rebuild starting next year with a couple good returning pieces, and not much else

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He said in that tweet the team wasn’t comfortable, not just Justin. The how of that tweet was wrong, the why was wrong, but the what may have some validity. 

I agree but to some extent we must have a large number of prima donas because idc if it’s a fricken pick up game you show more heart as a player than what we’ve seen. Idc if you hate your coach, hate your teammate(s), your girlfriend just dumped you, etc, you are a fricken D 1 athlete. Go compete in your sport. Show at least a LITTLE heart to just get a dang rebound or show some pride in stopping someone. 

These boys are gonna work for bosses they don’t like someday, they’re gonna have co-workers they lack chemistry with, grow a pair, sac up and be a bit more of a MAN than what you’re acting like.

substitutions, X’s and O’s, etc...sure let’s talk coaching...lack of passion on the court...sorry that’s up to you as an athlete to bring and if you can’t find that consistently go play intramural sports.

The worst thing about this is that there is absolutely no indicator that things are going to turn around any time soon.  If you play and lose a nip-n-tuck, back and forth, game on the road, you can take some positives from it.  When you give up a 22-0 run less than a week after giving up a 17-0 run, then whatever your issues may be, they are not getting better.  Saturday has the potential to be the most embarrassing one of the bunch.  

16 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I think you mean well. But he was killing it in practice? That sounds like Tom Crean speak honestly. I think any team with two NBA players should make the NCAA tournament. And neither of those players has gotten hurt. 

Juwan Morgan is not an NBA player. Are there any mock drafts that say he is? I've never seen one.

On a pure talent basis we probably have enough that we should be a tournament team. But, our talent does not fit together. We have no shooters. Our one real big man (I'm not counting Fitzer) hasn't been healthy all season. That's not how you dream up a team. 

Hard to say the future looks gloomy when Archie doesn’t even have a full roster of players who he actually handpicked himself to come play for him and fit his system. A few years from now we won’t have any players on the sidelines with Diet Coke stains on their jerseys, and if at that point we look like we do now then it’d be safe to say it’s on Archie. Right now he’s playing the hand he was dealt and doing what he can. I don’t care how good a coach his, if you have players on the team who are soft and don’t give a crap about showing any type of pitbull fierceness and grit, that’s just who they are and they’re gonna be that way. Archie wouldn’t have recruited the players Crean got on this team. We need shooters, we need players who have attitude, heart, passion, grit, fight, you name it...Archie is trying to get it out of them and they are acting like they don’t want to have to do it.

I feel like there’s definitely some type of internal issue going on with the players, but won’t get into what all that could be. I’m sure nothing will come out about it until the season is over. Ever since the Justin Smith dad tweet, this team has gone half-a**.

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Not to be mean to a Morgan and Romeo butnif we had two all big ten players on our team we wouldn’t be in the middle of a 7 game skid. If this keeps up no one on our team deserves individual awards. If you’re two of five players on the court in a sport and you’re good then you can pull your team better than this. There are guys in the NBA who score a lot of points who are on bad teams and don’t become all stars for a reason. On bad teams someone has to still score. It isn’t about stats it’s about stats AFTER team success. As of now neither Morgan NOR Romeo deserve much of anything in the line of awards.

Well Morgan was voted second team All Big Ten last season by both media and coaches. So calling him an All Big Ten level player is not really an opinion, it's just the truth. If you don't believe Romeo is a top 15 player in the Big Ten, you have the right to your opinion but I would disagree.

My point was that the current losing streak is not explained by a lack of talent on the roster.

17 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

And Crean was in his 6th season, so had no excuse for having crap for supporting cast. 

They aren't really the same thing. Freshman rarely are that good, even 5* ones. UK has shown that even with a bunch of them, a team can struggle.

I think we are looking at a lot of turnover and a rebuild starting next year with a couple good returning pieces, and not much else

That team was full of misfits too. The way I see it Romeo + Juwan = Noah + Yogi, plus some pieces that you could pull together to get something going. I mean we wiped the floor with Marquette at home who is now ranked #10 and we can't beat ANYONE now. 

Only point I think we can agree on is Crean was in his sixth year when it happened so I'll give some leeway there. All else, I disagree.

I don't care if they were Crean's guys or Archie's guys.  These are 4 and 5 star kids who were being recruited by allot of schools.  They were either really good scorers, defenders, or very athletic with potential to be recruited.   These guys should be able to run an offensive.  Play defense.  Make good passes.  Set screens.  Hustle back on defense.  Block out. 

The excuse that CAM shouldn't be held responsible for this season is a cop out.

And I know he can't control the injuries.  But we played allot better than this earlier on with more injuries than now

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

For everyone that keeps saying none of this is Archie's fault, defend his decision to take Al out of the game right after he scores 5 straight and should have been at the line for 2 more after getting mauled on a non-call.  Defend it.  I'm listening.

Al is one of the few players that brings intensity every game regardless of how he or the team is playing. Smith gives us nothing yet never comes out, and Moore/Forrester both continue to give solid minutes even though they barely get in the game. Anyone that doesn't think this is at least a little bit about Archie's stubbornness to change is delusional.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nope. Easy to be the “pile on” guy. 

Don’t think that they got “destroyed “.

Hyperbole much?

He's just giving his opinion on the garbage we've had to take in over the last 7 games.

By the way, they were down 14 points in the middle of the second half against Rutgers, that is 100% getting destroyed.

1 hour ago, twenty02 said:

Haven't we been rebuilding the last 2 years? I mean how long is it going to take to get to the darn tournament.

With regards to this game, I actually like our rotations for the first 8-10 minutes.  Some different guys got some playing time, and brought a little energy.

Then they got bad.  Not sure if it was foul trouble or what, but we had a couple lineups that might not average a total of 10 points a game.

Hopefully moving forward Archie will figure out those lineups a little better, but at least guys got in the regular rotation for the first time all year.

Too much Romeo and not enough team. Way to easy to guard..... its really that simple. I wish this team would just come out and shoot about 30 threes a game, it would be better then coming out in the second half and turning the ball over 5 times in a row trying to force it inside when it is not there. 

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

With regards to this game, I actually like our rotations for the first 8-10 minutes.  Some different guys got some playing time, and brought a little energy.

Then they got bad.  Not sure if it was foul trouble or what, but we had a couple lineups that might not average a total of 10 points a game.

Hopefully moving forward Archie will figure out those lineups a little better, but at least guys got in the regular rotation for the first time all year.

I think the foul trouble of Juan and Romeo really hurt the back half of the first.  Archie was forced to play more bench players at the same time than he likely wanted.

18 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Too much Romeo and not enough team. Way to easy to guard..... its really that simple. I wish this team would just come out and shoot about 30 threes a game, it would be better then coming out in the second half and turning the ball over 5 times in a row trying to force it inside when it is not there. 

Sounds great to me, let a team that can't shoot, take 30 three's.

8 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

We can officially put a fork in this season.  For reasons unknown to the public, this team has chosen to mail the season in.  The last 2 L's especially have been the most jejune performances of a BB team since CTC's last year.  I've now moved on to apathy.  I won't be driving down for any more games--just give my tickets away.  I can't believe IU charges for attendance.  After all with the product on the floor who would pay money for such performances.  I will not hold CAM completely responsible yet.  He still gets 3yr before I believe his position is in jeopardy.  Unfortunately, I don't expect much next year either.  The glaring weaknesses of this team seem unaddressed at this point.  The questions I have are the following:

1.  Shooting is atrocious.  Which players can Shoot not Score the ball and who are we recruiting

2.  Bigs--We have real problems competing with some of the Bigs in the BIG.  I see only forwards.  No true Centers.  How do we address this deficiency

3.  MOST IMPORTANT:  NO GRIT.  NO DETERMINATION.  NO WILL TO WIN.  NO FIGHT.  NO EDGE.  I don't care about the descriptor.  Who grows a pair and becomes a leader and demands excellence of himself and his teammates

It sickens me to think and write my thoughts.  This team has become an laughing stock and embarrassment to themselves and the fans.  They bear the responsibility. I have lost faith in them for the season.  It is to weep that they have fallen so far and for no explicable reason!

great great points

Archived