Internal issues or not?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was at Cook hall at 9 am this morning Juwan already working. With a few other guys. Juwan was the only one I could see. 

Juwan is what we hope for in an IU player.  Unfortunately, his career is not going to bring about the level of team success that his hard work as an individual player deserves.  

Saw an article that said “Archie’s teams at Dayton would have eaten this team for lunch, and then come back for another meal two hours later....Archie built a team and turned them into something mean. Something ferocious. The Hoosiers have a better roster than Dayton ever had but they’re not mean. They’re not ferocious.”

I think this is spot on. I think Archie is trying to turn this roster he inherited into the mean ferocious basketball players he wants, and they aren’t responding. Most of them don’t want to have to do it. They aren’t playing with any fight at all and that’s not on Archie at all. Them being soft and scared is the LAST thing Archie would want in a basketball team. Only the players themselves can dictate their own effort and toughness on the floor, and unfortunately for Archie, I think they have given up and don’t want to buy what Archie is selling anymore. 

6 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Saw an article that said “Archie’s teams at Dayton would have eaten this team for lunch, and then come back for another meal two hours later....Archie built a team and turned them into something mean. Something ferocious. The Hoosiers have a better roster than Dayton ever had but they’re not mean. They’re not ferocious.”

I think this is spot on. I think Archie is trying to turn this roster he inherited into the mean ferocious basketball players he wants, and they aren’t responding. Most of them don’t want to have to do it. They aren’t playing with any fight at all and that’s not on Archie at all. Them being soft and scared is the LAST thing Archie would want in a basketball team. Only the players themselves can dictate their own effort and toughness on the floor, and unfortunately for Archie, I think they have given up and don’t want to buy what Archie is selling anymore. 

Archie's own recruits, at least the ones we've seen (Romeo, Rob, Jake, Fitzner, Damezi) aren't exactly mean and ferocious either.  Let's not put all the blame for that on the Crean recruits.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Archie's own recruits, at least the ones we've seen (Romeo, Rob, Jake, Fitzner, Damezi) aren't exactly mean and ferocious either.  Let's not put all the blame for that on the Crean recruits.  

Agreed, a handful of those guys definitely aren’t, but it makes you wonder if they would be if there wasn’t some other overall issue going on with everyone else. Idk, just trying to think of answers the best I can. I’m just waiting on seasons end when a bunch of news breaks about the team and different things happening makes us go “Ahh, so that’s what was going on.”

9 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Agreed, a handful of those guys definitely aren’t, but it makes you wonder if they would be if there wasn’t some other overall issue going on with everyone else. Idk, just trying to think of answers the best I can. I’m just waiting on seasons end when a bunch of news breaks about the team and different things happening makes us go “Ahh, so that’s what was going on.”

Definitely interested in seeing who leaves beyond the seniors and Romeo.

That said, I just can't see a scenario where allowing Devonte back this year helps.  Braking team rules is a sign of an internal issue, regardless of what anyone thinks about that particular rule.  But, Archie has used phrases, like "when he gets back", so we will see.

This is just my opinion but I don’t think it is internal issues. We can’t hardly score 60 points anymore. The big Ten is a tough league and these teams have our number. They are saying beat us from outside. We can’t do it. I am sorry but how many times were we blocked at the rim last night. It’s so congested in the paint we can’t get a clean shot. Are a offensive rebound put back. Teams guards are so sure we will miss from outside they take off for the other end as soon as we shoot. 

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not so sure about Damezi....he looked ready to throw down with that guy from rutgers toward the end of the game.  He might not be the biggest dog our dog house, but i gota feeling he might be the first (maybe only) one to bite.

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

Perhaps because that roster was full of hard nosed kids who got passed over by OSU, Xavier, and Cincy and all the big programs. They always had to fight for everything they got...didn’t grow up coddled. Perhaps our Indiana and high 4 and 5* kids are just soft. Where are the Tom Coverdales, Dane Fifes, AJ Moyes and Will Sheeheys. We don’t have to have a full locker room of them but dang we need a couple dogs and a few less cats on this team to quote a famous football coach lol.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Perhaps because that roster was full of hard nosed kids who got passed over by OSU, Xavier, and Cincy and all the big programs. They always had to fight for everything they got...didn’t grow up coddled. Perhaps our Indiana and high 4 and 5* kids are just soft. Where are the Tom Coverdales, Dane Fifes, AJ Moyes and Will Sheeheys. We don’t have to have a full locker room of them but dang we need a couple dogs and a few less cats on this team to quote a famous football coach lol.

I get your point. But Dane Fife was a burger boy. We need 5 stars like Dane Fife, Cody Zeller, DJ White, Eric Gordon etc....all those players cared, and cared a lot.  I get the sense (and I'm not pointing to Romeo cause he's a five star) but that this team overall not only lacks talent, but just doesn't care either - an awful combo. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I get your point. But Dane Fife was a burger boy. We need 5 stars like Dane Fife, Cody Zeller, DJ White, Eric Gordon etc....all those players cared, and cared a lot.  I get the sense (and I'm not pointing to Romeo cause he's a five star) but that this team overall not only lacks talent, but just doesn't care either - an awful combo. 

I think there is a lot of talent on the team...much more than on NW, NEB, Rutgers, and arguably Purdue...but that isn’t translating to playing winning basketball. All I’m saying is I hope there is more to the kids we are bringing in than just a high ranking..I hope they have an edge..a competitiveness. Just not seeing the fight sorry to say.

Yep, I’m hoping from here on out we get players that are the pitbull refuse to lose type of players. Archie has every right to call the team soft and scared. He’s sees them a lot more than we do. His Dayton teams were fun to watch because their effort and toughness was always on full display. This year’s team acts like they just don’t care. They may know something we don’t that’ll come out at the end of the season, and then like I said before, we could be seeing a roster overhaul next season. Dayton fans even to this day with our struggles can’t say enough good things about Archie and are 100% convinced that he will get IU back on top...he just needs time to get his system/culture in place with a roster full of guys who WANT to 100% buy in and play for him. 

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Not so sure about Damezi....he looked ready to throw down with that guy from rutgers toward the end of the game.  He might not be the biggest dog our dog house, but i gota feeling he might be the first (maybe only) one to bite.

I can't like this post enough, so I figured I'd quote you and let you know. I feel the exact samed way about Anderson. Once he gets a hang of it and quite getting confused on both ends (I think he's genuinely trying) he'll be a damn goid player!!

So I was talking to a guy at work today about the team, and was asking him what he thought the problem is.  He talks to a guy who is an alum and season ticket holder, and that guy told him that all the team wants to do is party.  Not every person, but most of the team.  Said that guys have even showed up hung over to practice.  I'm not starting rumors, just passing along what I heard today.  It sounds like we just have an immature group on our hands.

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

So I was talking to a guy at work today about the team, and was asking him what he thought the problem is.  He talks to a guy who is an alum and season ticket holder, and that guy told him that all the team wants to do is party.  Not every person, but most of the team.  Said that guys have even showed up hung over to practice.  I'm not starting rumors, just passing along what I heard today.  It sounds like we just have an immature group on our hands.

The only thing that surprises me about this is that, if true, Archie has not done anything about it.  

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The only thing that surprises me about this is that, if true, Archie has not done anything about it.  

Well, if true, and it’s wide spread, are you going to not play the majority of the team and potentially forfeit games?  If it’s as wide spread as he let on, sounds like we wouldn’t have many players to play with.

39 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Bingo - As I've said on several occasions...It seems like there's no leadership, several prima donnas, and they just don't seem to care....

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Well, if true, and it’s wide spread, are you going to not play the majority of the team and potentially forfeit games?  If it’s as wide spread as he let on, sounds like we wouldn’t have many players to play with.

Run their asses off in practice.  And then, carve the violators into three groups.

Bench A, B, & C for game 1

Bench D, E, & F for Game 2

Bench G, H, & I for Game 3

And publicly announce that they are being disciplined.  

4 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Ted Kitchel is one of my favorites. Not just as a player, but as an ex-player doing color commentary and now whenever he’s giving his observations. 

He was on with Kent Sterling this week.  Kent made a reference to what is was like at Nick’s when Ted played.  Ted pointedly corrected the premise of the question by clarifying that neither he nor his teammates were at Nick’s during the season. 

He won a national championship, an NIT and three Big Ten championships.  

Archived