Internal issues or not?

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ted Kitchel is one of my favorites. Not just as a player, but as an ex-player doing color commentary and now whenever he’s giving his observations. 

He was on with Kent Sterling this week.  Kent made a reference to what is was like at Nick’s when Ted played.  Ted pointedly corrected the premise of the question by clarifying that neither he nor his teammates were at Nick’s during the season. 

He won a national championship, an NIT and three Big Ten championships.  

Knight had spies all over the town.  The players could not get away with that back then.  In today's world it wouldn't surprise me if the players didn't even have curfews.  that's not meant to be a knock on Archie, just an observation about today's society as a whole.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m sure that was the case.  And not every player is wired the same but Ted seemed to take umbrage at the question. I get the sense that on his own he was committed to basketball and putting partying on hold for the offseason.  Self-responsibility and motivation has to be a part of it.  

People could point to Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Lawrence Taylor, Kenny Stabler, Joe Namath and a host of others who could win while still closing bars.  But, if you don’t have that level of production, commitment to winning may require getting rest at night and staying focused.  Because if you aren’t, and the other guy is, you’re going to be toast.  

6 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

I get your point. But Dane Fife was a burger boy. We need 5 stars like Dane Fife, Cody Zeller, DJ White, Eric Gordon etc....all those players cared, and cared a lot.  I get the sense (and I'm not pointing to Romeo cause he's a five star) but that this team overall not only lacks talent, but just doesn't care either - an awful combo. 

This made me think, can you imagine AJ Moye's brain and heart in Justin Smith's body?

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

This made me think, can you imagine AJ Moye's brain and heart in Justin Smith's body?

I think it needs to be acknowledged that Justin has come a long, long way.  The fact that he is playing hard is huge.  Justin is less quick to react and to think two passes ahead.  This is evident how his jump to ball happens when the other player gets the ball.

He is kind of like Deion Sanders in Baseball - bad reads to the ball, late jumps - but speed and athletic ability makes you forget the .second before that really made the difference of making the correct play.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Knight had spies all over the town.  The players could not get away with that back then.  In today's world it wouldn't surprise me if the players didn't even have curfews.  that's not meant to be a knock on Archie, just an observation about today's society as a whole.

Legend has it that one of those spies turned Pat into Bobby, which resulted in Bobby taking Pat's car away from him.

A student that is friends with players has told me that everyone gets along.

As far as partying goes, some of you are over blowing that way too much... It's not true. Even if it was, the team partying together is much better than the team not hanging out and socializing together. These guys aren't out partying the night before games. Partying does not turn in to 22-0 runs after having complete control of the first 15 minutes. 

Archie needs to find a way to nip these looooooong droughts in the bud. Every game has one. They need to be recognized early, and we need to have a few high percentage go-to plays. Like posting Romeo. Why is it that we wait until there are 3 minutes left in the game to post him up? 

Among the lack of talent, Confidence in the face of adversity... Our strength in the first 14 games... Is the problem. It's not chemistry or partying. 

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

A student that is friends with players has told me that everyone gets along.

As far as partying goes, some of you are over blowing that way too much... It's not true. Even if it was, the team partying together is much better than the team not hanging out and socializing together. These guys aren't out partying the night before games. Partying does not turn in to 22-0 runs after having complete control of the first 15 minutes. 

Archie needs to find a way to nip these looooooong droughts in the bud. Every game has one. They need to be recognized early, and we need to have a few high percentage go-to plays. Like posting Romeo. Why is it that we wait until there are 3 minutes left in the game to post him up? 

Among the lack of talent, Confidence in the face of adversity... Our strength in the first 14 games... Is the problem. It's not chemistry or partying. 

Guy in another thread says he's been told by another IU athlete that there are problems inside this team.  That it's basically three clicks and that guys just don't like each other.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Guy in another thread says he's been told by another IU athlete that there are problems inside this team.  That it's basically three clicks and that guys just don't like each other.

Yea, just read that. Neither scenario would really surprise me, tbh. But while lack of team chemistry certainly doesn't help us...it's not the root cause for us being horrible. We play about 20 minutes of a good basketball and 20 minutes of really bad basketball.

Here’s a thought these boys need to grasp...when you sign and get a free education and the chance to be the limelight of tens of THOUSANDS of people or more, it feels SO good. It feels like “I’m the MAN!” Everyone fawns all over you and you feel the most confident you’ve ever felt in your life. I’m happy for you. Most people never feel that in their lives. Congratulations.

Now, with that “feeling” comes RESPONSIBILITY...imagine that millennials, and now the more you don’t produce, that same passion that you LOVED, now YOU have a responsibility to...now it is watching and examining EVERY move YOU make and your COACH makes. 

Its a microcosm of LIFE. Welcome to life boys, no you don’t get to eat your cake and have it too. With all the prestige you GOT for being a “stud HS athlete” now is something that watches every move you make and is trying to figure out WHY you aren’t giving what we all EXPECTED when we signed you.

this is a great LIFE lesson for these boys and these 5 star studs we are signing. You don’t get to reap all the rewards of being an up and coming STUD, and then never produce wins. Yes, mindblow, all that “talent” is supposed to DO something. You don’t get to work hard and then coast.

So as someone who totally backs Archie, I think step one isn’t backing off as fans, it’s FIRST looking at the players and coming down hard on THEM first. If Archie shows that multiple groups of kids won’t respond then it’s on him. But with his background, I’m sorry but the knee jerk should be against the PLAYERS and not the COACH.

Archie took a not so subtle shot at his non-freshmen in his presser:

"I mean, it's just the natural effect of five seniors in your first year go and you bring in five freshmen, so immediately you get a little younger. That's where you need the returners that have been a part of your program in the first year to be solid, and it's kind of like I said before, you know, we just haven't had the returners to really, really stabilize this youth, sort of our younger players."

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Archie took a not so subtle shot at his non-freshmen in his presser:

"I mean, it's just the natural effect of five seniors in your first year go and you bring in five freshmen, so immediately you get a little younger. That's where you need the returners that have been a part of your program in the first year to be solid, and it's kind of like I said before, you know, we just haven't had the returners to really, really stabilize this youth, sort of our younger players."

Juwan

Zach

Devonte

De'Ron

Al

Justin

Cliff

Not sure where to put this but can someone help me on the rules of the APR score.. if it’s about players leaving early then why doesn’t it affect duke greatly since they have so much roster turnover? If you don’t require the expected APR score do you get a postseason ban? Alex Bozich was saying this could be the reason why IU kept priller and wanted Durham, Smith, Moore to stay and protect the APR. he said it could be the reason IU didn’t end up with Wright who is tearing it up at Colorado I believe. 

53 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Not sure where to put this but can someone help me on the rules of the APR score.. if it’s about players leaving early then why doesn’t it affect duke greatly since they have so much roster turnover? If you don’t require the expected APR score do you get a postseason ban? Alex Bozich was saying this could be the reason why IU kept priller and wanted Durham, Smith, Moore to stay and protect the APR. he said it could be the reason IU didn’t end up with Wright who is tearing it up at Colorado I believe. 

Players who leave for the NBA do not affect the score from what I can tell, only those who transfer to other schools (Curtis Jones types).  When they transfer, two things are taken into account: 1) The fact they are transferring 2) Are they in good academic standing.  When they transfer, you take a hit, if they’re not in good academic standing, it’s a double whammy.  Example below:

1 - 13 players on roster and are all academically eligible = 13 * (2 of 2) = 26 of 26

2 - During or after the year, three kids transfer who are academically eligible = 3 * (1 of 2) = 3 of 6

3 - Total APR is 29 of 32 (29/32) = .90625 * 1000 = 906.25

This is how I understand it to work.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Players who leave for the NBA do not affect the score from what I can tell, only those who transfer to other schools (Curtis Jones types).  When they transfer, two things are taken into account: 1) The fact they are transferring 2) Are they in good academic standing.  When they transfer, you take a hit, if they’re not in good academic standing, it’s a double whammy.  Example below:

1 - 13 players on roster and are all academically eligible = 13 * (2 of 2) = 26 of 26

2 - During or after the year, three kids transfer who are academically eligible = 3 * (1 of 2) = 3 of 6

3 - Total APR is 29 of 32 (29/32) = .90625 * 1000 = 906.25

This is how I understand it to work.

This is how I understand it as well.  I also am aware that this APR thing at IU was due to Crean's last 4 years.  How many transfers were there?

17 minutes ago, rico said:

This is how I understand it as well.  I also am aware that this APR thing at IU was due to Crean's last 4 years.  How many transfers were there?

Off the top of my head I’m not sure.  Transfers in b-ball hurt a lot more just due to the fact there aren’t that many scholarship players compared to football per se.  

14 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Off the top of my head I’m not sure.  Transfers in b-ball hurt a lot more just due to the fact there aren’t that many scholarship players compared to football per se.  

I am thinking Devin, Holt, and Max.......off the top of my head.  

Archived