Internal issues or not?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Not sure where to put this but can someone help me on the rules of the APR score.. if it’s about players leaving early then why doesn’t it affect duke greatly since they have so much roster turnover? If you don’t require the expected APR score do you get a postseason ban? Alex Bozich was saying this could be the reason why IU kept priller and wanted Durham, Smith, Moore to stay and protect the APR. he said it could be the reason IU didn’t end up with Wright who is tearing it up at Colorado I believe. 

For some reason I thought this was common knowledge when Alex wrote that article last spring. So many times there's a game behind the game. Archie was forced to retain some guys he normally wouldn't to keep APR average above that 930. Crean didn't do us a ton of favors in that regard his last few years.

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nah. I have read posts from people who would take him back. 

I have, too, mostly other sites, though, and I don't get it.  

There's little doubt he has coaching talent, but from the people I see who argue they would take him back, their argument is that he broke a rule that doesn't even exist anymore.

I hate that argument, though, because he was penalized for the calls/texts at Oklahoma, and he CONTINUED to eschew the rules even though he had already been penalized.  The biggest strike against him, though, is program culture off the court. 

Whether or not the players he brought in had character issues or not, it can't be argued that he didn't give a **** about what they did in the classroom or off the court, and that, for me, is enough to say that he's unqualified to be a coach for a COLLEGE program.  He would probably better fit in the NBA.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For some reason I thought this was common knowledge when Alex wrote that article last spring. So many times there's a game behind the game. Archie was forced to retain some guys he normally wouldn't to keep APR average above that 930. Crean didn't do us a ton of favors in that regard his last few years.

That still does not answer the question as to how Duke and UK can totally turn over their roster every year and not get penalized.  

On 1/31/2019 at 4:03 PM, StLHoosier said:

So I was talking to a guy at work today about the team, and was asking him what he thought the problem is.  He talks to a guy who is an alum and season ticket holder, and that guy told him that all the team wants to do is party.  Not every person, but most of the team.  Said that guys have even showed up hung over to practice.  I'm not starting rumors, just passing along what I heard today.  It sounds like we just have an immature group on our hands.

I think this is kind of blown out of proportion. Without mentioning names, I can tell you I used to hear about players on Crean's team partying a good amount, and these were the guys that were on the teams that were winning Big ten titles and going to sweet 16's. We just probably never heard about it because they were talented enough players.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That still does not answer the question as to how Duke and UK can totally turn over their roster every year and not get penalized.  

Going to the league is one thing. Transferring to another college program or transferring to another program not in good standing is a bad check. the Devin Davis, Holt,  Robinson, Noah (who I don't think finished courses), April and others caused bad checks. To your point though. If UK and Duke are constantly having guys go to league but the same players who left a year before are finishing up online courses or graduating programs bank those points.

Here's an excerpt from a Syracuse blog that explains it better than I could. Again...not an exact science.

Let’s say two players leave for the NBA in the second semester and neither is academically eligible. The NCAA would dock that team four APR points because the departing players were each 0-for-2 for that semester. That would reduce the team’s points to 36, which when divided by 40 equals .900 — or an APR of 900.

But often it’s not that simple. The NCAA frequently grants APR adjustments to athletic programs, which can muddy the numbers.

If a former player returns to school and earns his degree, for example, the program is awarded a bonus point for the year in which that player finished his degree requirements.

When an athlete transfers to another program, his current school loses a point for that semester unless he has a GPA of at least 2.6.

If a player leaves for a pro career and remains academically eligible, the NCAA erases the retention point altogether. For example: A player who stays with a program both semesters and is academically eligible is 4-for-4. A player who leaves after the second semester, is academically eligible and signs a pro sports contract is 3-for-3.

Archived