Five Star Question ❓

Definitely first in Rivals rankings since they started their rankings in 2002. Five stars since then:

Bracey Wright (2002)
DJ White (2004 #15)
Josh Smith* (2004 #3)
Eric Gordon (2007 #2)
Cody Zeller (2011 #15)
Yogi Ferrell (2012 #19)
Noah Vonleh (2013 #8)
James Blackmon (2014 #22)

Hard to compare before those days because recruiting rankings were even more unreliable and all over the place than they are today.

*Obviously Josh Smith didn't play at IU, but he committed (as noted by dbm) so thought he was worth mentioning.

37 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Definitely first in Rivals rankings since they started their rankings in 2002. Five stars since then:

Bracey Wright (2002)
DJ White (2004 #15)
Josh Smith* (2004 #3)
Eric Gordon (2007 #2)
Cody Zeller (2011 #15)
Yogi Ferrell (2012 #19)
Noah Vonleh (2013 #8)
James Blackmon (2014 #22)

Hard to compare before those days because recruiting rankings were even more unreliable and all over the place than they are today.

*Obviously Josh Smith didn't play at IU, but he committed (as noted by dbm) so thought he was worth mentioning.

I don't remember his overall ranking, but I do remember that Marshall Strickland was ranked as a top 5 point guard by Rivals and Espn. I do remember that at one point both he and Wright were ranked as 5 stars, but as I recall Strickland dropped out of the top 25 at some point -- that's my recollection anyway.

25 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

247 which is now also Scout (right?)

Off topic. But to answer your question.  And as it pertains to the rebirth of Hoosier Sports Nation as HSN 3.0.   The transformation of Scout into 247 is not complete as of yet. According to Shannon Terry, as of Oct.11, 68% of the Scout sites had been folded into the 247 platform.

Shannon B. Terry on Twitter: "By the close of biz tonight, will have successfully merged a total of 68 Scout team sites into the @247Sports brand. All coming together."

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I'm a little puzzled as to how Garland has a 10th composite ranking. 247 which is now also Scout (right?) has him at 15, Rivals has him at 15 also and ESPN has him at 11 so who is ranking him in the top 10?

Just making a guess that since his average is 13.6 on those 3 (and correct me if I'm wrong 247 composite takes more than just those 3), that other recruits have a wider range. For example, the top 10-14 at Scout maybe be top 20-30 on ESPN and Rivals. Pushing their average above Garlands. And if 247 composite takes into account more rankings than just those 3 Garland could have better rankings than them on there as well moving him further down. 

I think of it like fantasy average draft position, where the ADP might be 25.2 for the 20th guy on the list.

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Just making a guess that since his average is 13.6 on those 3 (and correct me if I'm wrong 247 composite takes more than just those 3), that other recruits have a wider range. For example, the top 10-14 at Scout maybe be top 20-30 on ESPN and Rivals. Pushing their average above Garlands. And if 247 composite takes into account more rankings than just those 3 Garland could have better rankings than them on there as well moving him further down. 

I think of it like fantasy average draft position, where the ADP might be 25.2 for the 20th guy on the list.

Right, they just don't seem to show what the composite is made out of. I would be curious to see which ranking services have Garland that low into the top 10 in order to balance the two 15's and 11 he's getting from the more well known ranking services. 

On 10/20/2017 at 10:36 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't remember his overall ranking, but I do remember that Marshall Strickland was ranked as a top 5 point guard by Rivals and Espn. I do remember that at one point both he and Wright were ranked as 5 stars, but as I recall Strickland dropped out of the top 25 at some point -- that's my recollection anyway.

Just went back and checked. Rivals didn't have an overall top 100 at that point, but he was a 4 star and #4 point guard. You're right - was probably right around top 25 and near-five star status. Without actually checking, I get the feeling Rivals has increased the number of 5 star rankings they give a bit over time so he may have been if they ranked them today.

10 minutes ago, newhavenwarford said:

Wasn't Tijan Jobe a 6 star?

When it came to academics, he was.  At a time when, after giving up scholarships.... Tijan graduated with honors.  And helped bring IU's academics out of the swamp that was known as Sampsongate. 

3 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Just went back and checked. Rivals didn't have an overall top 100 at that point, but he was a 4 star and #4 point guard. You're right - was probably right around top 25 and near-five star status. Without actually checking, I get the feeling Rivals has increased the number of 5 star rankings they give a bit over time so he may have been if they ranked them today.

Yes and as dbm pointed out above he was actually top 10 at one point. I remember seeing the two of them ranked in the top 10, just couldn't remember what service. (Can't find it, but do remember seeing them both in the top 10.) They both came in very highly touted.

Archived