I thought I'd never say it...Dakich is right on the money

4 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Don Fisher was on his show on Monday. Can someone post it on here? Fish is at a loss for words with this team. He says Archie is tough on them, coaches them, teaches them but the team just doesn't have the desire to go after it. A very interesting interview. To me Fish is saying Archie is not the issue. 

This is all I needed to hear.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

Not a big fan of the guy typically, but I will call a spade a spade. Lately Double D has been spot on. He nails Archie, Romeo, and the rest of this band of misfits to the wall. As they should be!

Give a listen. Tell me where he's wrong.

Sorry but even when Dan is right...he’s wrong...cuz he’s Dan.

Long time lurker. No idea how someone could call this rant filled with insults covering everything from the players, coaches, and even the fans "spot on." Per usual, Dakich doesn't seem to understand that there's more than one way to coach a team, and not every coach has to be as angry as Bob Knight to have success. Speaking of Knight, Dakich goes on his usual rant about "no Indiana guys on the staff" which is pretty pointless as well. Know who else wasn't an Indiana guy? Yeah, Bob Knight. 

Dakich continues to be a bitter about pretty much everything IU related, and if you're turning to him for basketball knowledge or insight with respect to IU, you're pretty friggin' desperate. 

4 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Don Fisher was on his show on Monday. Can someone post it on here? Fish is at a loss for words with this team. He says Archie is tough on them, coaches them, teaches them but the team just doesn't have the desire to go after it. A very interesting interview. To me Fish is saying Archie is not the issue. 

It was posted on the Internal issues or not thread. And yes, it is informative.

6 hours ago, jefftheref said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-show/don-fischer-they-iu-just-came-out-and-looked-scare

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Long time lurker. No idea how someone could call this rant filled with insults covering everything from the players, coaches, and even the fans "spot on." Per usual, Dakich doesn't seem to understand that there's more than one way to coach a team, and not every coach has to be as angry as Bob Knight to have success. Speaking of Knight, Dakich goes on his usual rant about "no Indiana guys on the staff" which is pretty pointless as well. Know who else wasn't an Indiana guy? Yeah, Bob Knight. 

Dakich continues to be a bitter about pretty much everything IU related, and if you're turning to him for basketball knowledge or insight with respect to IU, you're pretty friggin' desperate. 

Winner WINNER CHICKEN DINNER 🐔 🍗 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The whole blocking and hanging up on people that don't agree with him is so childish and a sign of insecurity.

Now watch, he'll trash me on his next show.

He trashed me on his show years back. I took no issue with that.  However, what caused this daily listener of his show, to stop listening to him was his his hanging up on listeners and calling them names.  It's been years since I've listened to him. 

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

He trashed me on his show years back. I took no issue with that.  However, what caused this daily listener of his show, to stop listening to him was his his hanging up on listeners and calling them names.  It's been years since I've listened to him. 

Did he call you a slapjack or whatever insult he's using these days to insult fans, like whatever he used in this rant? I also used to listen to his show, and then he just got more and more bitter, especially after he didn't get the job here. He's one of those people that when someone disagrees with what he says, will attack the person instead of really listening to why they disagree in order to have a civil discussion and learn from each other. Hell, he was doing it preemptively in this rant. That's pretty much DD in a nutshell, and why I just stopped listening. 

14 hours ago, iu2win said:

If Dakich really has any invested interest in IU basketball he should be doing all that he can to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.  Instead of bashing the coaching staff, why not offer to come down to B'town and be of any assistance he can to help this IU team snap out of their funk?  Of course it is possible Archie could say, "Thanks but no thanks".  Instead, he adds to an increasingly divided fan base with his rants.  Not that he should be singing Archie's praises or pumping up all things IU but stop feeding the derision. 

This is what was in my head, but you said it better than I could've.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Same.  Even when he's not wrong, he comes off like an ass.

It was after I no longer cared to listen to his program, we had the game against OSU in Bloomington where Dakich was on the OSU sideline.  I understand he's friends with Urban Meyer (more like infatuated with him), but I felt it was extremely disrespectful to the school he attended, played for, and coached at to do that.  I suspect part of it was his spat with Kevin Wilson, but it still offended me.

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Most sports fans and radio guys are this way. Tons of complaining not many solutions. I ask the guys on twitter all the time. Great...we know IU is struggling. Solution please? Never get a response. 

That drives me up a wall too ,Seeking! Lol

It's the team itself that appears to need to  have a talk the most though. Let everyone air their feelings. 

Open up all 5 starting spots for every single game. Make that indefinite and make the criteria for even being CONSIDERED crystal clear to the team.Get back to the basics and reconnect to the standards. It looks like some of these kids think their athletic peak will last forever. Perhaps a little appreciation for the moment and time itself are in order. From a psychological standpoint there would then be several ways to go about the specifics of fostering that desired maturity level.  A reminder about how short and fragile life can be usually does it for younger people. There are countless folks who have true stories of how fast life can change. that feeling must be made palpable for any age range, when teaching, but with college guys it's pretty wide open on the specifics as long as the message is sent. That is what always worked for me coaching various ages. Just make the message fit the audience. 

Sometimes it isn't necessarily not caring .it's often unawareness of the advancement of time amidst so many distractions. Or they could be soft , I'm not making excuses for the team. This is unacceptable right now. Period, but the point is time catches up to everyone . The sooner one realizes this the more likely a sense of urgency starts to develop. The record and losing streak alone should be doing that and even prior to now, but at some point this team is either going to realize time is running out and decide when rock bottom is or they will keep plummeting. 

I would only play the guys who are going to demonstrate the urgency to the highest degree and support their team mates who are in the game.. The most effective players in games become incumbents until the next game and keep their roles until unseated. 

I would even start or play the walk-ons if it came to it. The message must be sent one way or the other. At this point doing nothing is the worst approach. So is giving up and tanking. Stay on the message and if guys aren't going to go out there and do what is asked and show the level of engagement on the court and the bench - that is supportive of those who are in the game, then those guys would also sit. Play all out on the floor. Root for your team mates on the bench or sit . Period! 

That's what I would do first, rather than nothing. If it failed it failed. right . 

On the opposite end of the spectrum there is lightening up a little. Maybe Archie is pressing too hard.Heck  if I know., but that is the point of making adjustments all around if need be, including the teaching approach loosening or tightening up and tinkering line-ups  until the desired results are achieved. .  I just think that without urgency it's an uphill battle to get the rest. A team is only as strong as it's weakest link so it is needed to be felt down to a man.

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Same.  Even when he's not wrong, he comes off like an ass.

It was after I no longer cared to listen to his program, we had the game against OSU in Bloomington where Dakich was on the OSU sideline.  I understand he's friends with Urban Meyer (more like infatuated with him), but I felt it was extremely disrespectful to the school he attended, played for, and coached at to do that.  I suspect part of it was his spat with Kevin Wilson, but it still offended me.

Irony, is that Wilson wound up at OSU. And talk about disrespect to IU... kind of like a former coach, who won't step foot on campus, going to a fish fry at Purdue.

Just now, Cutter said:

Lol yes me too have had lots of fun at both places and more around town.I knew people working at both places

A very good and close friend was Bar Manager at the Lion and lets just say we did not spend a lot of money but took care of the bartender. That is where i acquired the taste for Guinness!! Heaven in a glass or a quart of motor oil as my wife would say.

Archived