Offical IUMB venting/complaint Thread

Indykev

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's a carryover from HSNv2.

Well I must have missed it or forgotten it.  Oh well it made my day regardless.

I pointed out that '94-'95 Duke team to Long Duck Dong.  That team entered the season ranked #8 and rose to #6...but once ACC play started they collapsed.  They finished conference play 2-14(dead last) and finished the season going 13-18.

I am sure there are plenty of other examples out there concerning CBB.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

I pointed out that '94-'95 Duke team to Long Duck Dong.  That team entered the season ranked #8 and rose to #6...but once ACC play started they collapsed.  They finished conference play 2-14(dead last) and finished the season going 13-18.

K was out all but 12 games with a back issue. Legitimately, that's the same as a key player getting injured.

2 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Exactly. That doesn't count. 

The baseball ones were interesting but were they half a season? Were they 0 for or 1 for?

The 95 Angels were almost exactly a 1st half/2nd half situation. On August 1, they had a 62% winning percentage (56-33). Technically, the midway point of the 95 season was game 73 (strike shortened), and August 1 was game 89, but close enough. From that point forward, they had a 39% winning percentage (22-34), blowing an 11.5 game lead.

Their biggest injury during that time was losing starting shortstop Gary DiScarcina for about 3 weeks to a thumb injury. Before you say "A-ha!", keep this in mind: this is a career  .258 hitter that batted 9th in their lineup. A lineup that also featured Jim Edmonds, Tim Salmon, Tony Phillips, Chili Davis, Chuck Finley and JT Snow. Not exactly the '27 Yankees, but that's a pretty stout lineup. Yet, they averaged only 3.9 runs per game in the 2nd half, compared to 6.2 in the first half. Losing an average hitter with minimal power batting 9th doesn't have that much of an impact.

That collapse lead to the Cinderella run of the Mariners, winning the 1 game playoff, then beating the Yankees in a 5 game LDS, Griffey scoring the winning run in extra innings from 2nd on a single by Edgar Martinez. Providing color to that miracle run was their radio man, Dave Neihaus, who is an alum of.....Indiana University.

4 hours ago, rico said:

That was also the year that coach K took the rest of the yea roff due to his back

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

In 2003 I remember Alabama was #1 at one point of the season and ended up being a 9 seed in the tournament.  The reason I remember this is because we were an 8 seed and beat Alabama in the first round that year.

And you be correct and thanks for jarring my memory.

For another collapse, look no further than the current Nebraska team. They returned everyone from a team that finished 4th in the BIG last year (13-5). For this year, Athlon and Street & Smith's both picked them 3rd in the BIG and Lindy's picked them 5th. All had them in the NCAAT. Some analysts felt they may have had the best starting 5 in the BIG (including 3 SRs and a JR), but had a thin bench.

They lost one player to injury and have lost 9 of 11 and are 5-12 in conference play.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That was also the year that coach K took the rest of the yea roff due to his back

He has a back problem everytime they start to struggle, he did the same thing when Grayson Allen started tripping everyone in the ACC. The back problem is just a copout, it's actually a good example that collapses can happen to anyone.

Archived