Jump to content

IU ranked #12 in returning experience


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/31/18204093/2019-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

I like that we're balanced on offense and defense.  In the top 25 in returning experience in both categories.

Edit: meant to post on the main football board, not the recruiting board.  Mods, want to help a brother out and move it over there for me?  Thanks!

Moved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bob said:

This is great! Us IU football and Basketball fans need something to give us hope! Anything positive is about either team is great!

Definitely! After the end of last season with DeBord still here and our tough schedule next year, I wasn't all that excited about the opportunities this coming year. With the new OC, we have a real chance to make some noise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Your football schedule next years is brutal! If we can get to a bowl game I will be happy. That’s life in our division of the big ten. That being said the only way to prove we are getting better is to win games. We need to start beating some of these next tier teams. 

The word I like to use for our schedule next year is opportunity. We've got 3 (hopefully) easy non conference wins, a couple conference games we should win, and the other 7 games are tough, but they're opportunities to make a statement.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The word I like to use for our schedule next year is opportunity. We've got 3 (hopefully) easy non conference wins, a couple conference games we should win, and the other 7 games are tough, but they're opportunities to make a statement.

So, 4-8, 5-7 again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Is there anything moving on the recuiting end. Since it is about over. 

Most of the guys we're after are announcing Wednesday.  I linked tweets of them talking about when they are announcing for the ones I could find.

Cecil Powell - Decommitted from Baylor.  Sounds like we have a decent shot at getting him, but a lot of NC State talk the last day or two

TJ Jones - OK chance of getting him, but I'd guess he goes to Penn State

Ira Henry - Decent chance

Kamaar Bell - Decent chance, but I think it will be tough to pry him from some of the bigger schools after him

Josh Sanguinetti - No idea what our chances are

Kristian Williams - Former Minnesota commit.  I think our chances are good

Dawand Jones - I think he goes to one of the bigger programs on his final 5.  I think our biggest draw is a chance to walk on to the basketball team (or at least I've heard that's an option)

Latrell Jean - I'd guess he's our backup plan if we don't get Williams

Danielson Ike - Haven't heard much about him lately, so I don't think we have much chance with him

Jonathan Allen - Same as Ike

If I were to guess on who our final 4 commits will be, I would go with Powell, Henry, Williams, and one surprise guy who we haven't heard of yet.  According to Allen's comments about a month ago, I think he said he wanted 2 OL (already got 1), 1 DB, 1 DL, and 1 WR.  Not sure who we'd get for WR if we miss out on Jones.

Edited by Leathernecks
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Most of the guys we're after are announcing Wednesday.  I linked tweets of them talking about when they are announcing for the ones I could find.

Cecil Powell - Decommitted from Baylor.  Sounds like we have a decent shot at getting him, but a lot of NC State talk the last day or two

TJ Jones - OK chance of getting him, but I'd guess he goes to Penn State

Ira Henry - Decent chance

Kamaar Bell - Decent chance, but I think it will be tough to pry him from some of the bigger schools after him

Josh Sanguinetti - No idea what our chances are

Kristian Williams - Former Minnesota commit.  I think our chances are good

Dawand Jones - I think he goes to one of the bigger programs on his final 5.  I think our biggest draw is a chance to walk on to the basketball team (or at least I've heard that's an option)

Latrell Jean - I'd guess he's our backup plan if we don't get Williams

Danielson Ike - Haven't heard much about him lately, so I don't think we have much chance with him

Jonathan Allen - Same as Ike

If I were to guess on who our final 4 commits will be, I would go with Powell, Henry, Williams, and one surprise guy who we haven't heard of yet.  According to Allen's comments about a month ago, I think he said he wanted 2 OL (already got 1), 1 DB, 1 DL, and 1 WR.  Not sure who we'd get for WR if we miss out on Jones.

You and a couple others are my go to guys here on the IUFB discussions! If I'm not posting much I'm always reading.Appreciate this share Leather. I'm not ready to predict anything specific for IUFB record-wise, yet  Usually the end of recruiting and attending spring ball being completed are a general rule of thumb on that. I will say that I can get on board with least 6-7 wins in 2019, That is flexible with possible upward mobility,, though given the returning potential on both sides, and the hire at OC playing the biggest part arguably of all. . I think we are possibly in for "something new" this time. Just thinking of the skill positions ...I start with Stevie Scott, and the fact that Stevie is only the tip of the iceberg is pretty interesting from where I sit even right now with mostly outdated info. I also understand the challenge of replacing O-Line stalwarts, but given how they struggled for long periods of some games, there is a solid argument to bee made for the potential for improved play despite the number of combined O-line starts going down. On the other side I think the D-line is going to break out .Just a hunch and we;ll see. These are certainly exciting times for a diehard. 

I hope they can secure at least half or more of the offensive players since there is already at least some contact between respective parties. I wonder how many of these recruitments DeBoer will factor in more favorably than perhaps before he was hired. Man it's not hard to envision a twist looking at the talent on the roster going into the end of this cycle. I think the new hire has a chance to come into play personally and going off perception of his approach. I would say the defensive players are said and done ,but half of the offensive players I could still envision  

For anyone who paid attention part of the complaint on DeBord was IU didn't play all out unless they were down big. They  would revert to too much predictably conservative play calling. The thing is the way they played when down big , save for Iowa, offered a hint of offensive potential in what is possibly sustainable under a more aggressive approach. Still boils down to the line but the chance to gave a better line due to skill positions forcing one on one match ups or soft zones offers possibility depending on how roles and injuries shake out from here until this fall. Apologies for the edits I saw this conversation from my phone yesterday and intended to respond, but a little too much Super Bowl night prevented it. I forgot the way I was going to put it at that time but this is close enough Lol 

 

Edited by jblaz13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

You and a couple others are my go to guys here on the IUFB discussions! If I'm not posting much I'm always reading.Appreciate this share Leather. I'm not ready to predict anything specific for IUFB record-wise, yet  Usually the end of recruiting and attending spring ball being completed are a general rule of thumb on that. I will say that I can get on board with least 6-7 wins in 2019, That is flexible with possible upward mobility,, though given the returning potential on both sides, and the hire at OC playing the biggest part arguably of all. . I think we are possibly in for "something new" this time. Just thinking of the skill positions ...I start with Stevie Scott, and the fact that Stevie is only the tip of the iceberg is pretty interesting from where I sit even right now with mostly outdated info. I also understand the challenge of replacing O-Line stalwarts, but given how they struggled for long periods of some games, there is a solid argument to bee made for the potential for improved play despite the number of combined O-line starts going down. On the other side I think the D-line is going to break out .Just a hunch and we;ll see. These are certainly exciting times for a diehard. 

I hope they can secure at least half or more of the offensive players since there is already at least some contact between respective parties. I wonder how many of these recruitments DeBoer will factor in more favorably than perhaps before he was hired. Man it's not hard to envision a twist looking at the talent on the roster going into the end of this cycle. I think the new hire has a chance to come into play personally and going off perception of his approach. I would say the defensive players are said and done ,but half of the offensive players I could still envision  

For anyone who paid attention part of the complaint on DeBord was IU didn't play all out unless they were down big. They  would revert to too much predictably conservative play calling. The thing is the way they played when down big , save for Iowa, offered a hint of offensive potential in what is possibly sustainable under a more aggressive approach. Still boils down to the line but the chance to gave a better line due to skill positions forcing one on one match ups or soft zones offers possibility depending on how roles and injuries shake out from here until this fall. Apologies for the edits I saw this conversation from my phone yesterday and intended to respond, but a little too much Super Bowl night prevented it. I forgot the way I was going to put it at that time but this is close enough Lol 

 

Thanks for the kind words!  I don't have any inside info, so anything I get comes from personal opinions, reading TOS (wouldn't dare post with those crazies, but they do have a more active football board), and checking twitter.

I'm really not sure what I want to predict for this year either.  I think we're going to be a much better team, but our conference schedule is brutal.  Our crossover games are @Nebraska, vs Northwestern, and @Purdue.  Tough to find many easy wins on our conference schedule.  A 6 win season next year would be like a 7 win season in a lot of other years due to the difficulty of our conference schedule.  The year after will be the year I think we can really take off.  Home games vs Maryland, Michigan State, Penn State, Illinois, and Purdue.

I've heard some people have concerns about DeBoer's system being similar to Debord's system.  I don't really have any issues with that.  There are definitely some similarities, and there are some key differences.  I think DeBoer will look downfield more, and be much less predictable.  That was DeBord's biggest downfall.  We could move the ball sometimes, but like you said, we got so predictable in key situations in the redzone and after a turnover.  That was the turning point in the Purdue game.  We got a big turnover, had a quick 3 and out, and Purdue got a long touchdown on the next drive.  I think it might have even been on their first play of that drive.  The defense had to be demoralized after some of our drives.  I know I was.

Same story with the offensive line.  It is really tough to block when everybody in the stadium knows we're running up the middle on first down.  Alabama can get away with that, but we aren't ever going to have a line like that.  I think with better play calling, our offensive line will look a lot better.

I think our offense has the potential to be really good next year.  With good play calling, I really don't see any areas that I would call weaknesses.  I think our O-line will play much better, we've got a couple good young TEs, good big WR in Westbrook and Hale, good slot receivers in Whop, and Reese, and there's some good backups at WR too.  Running backs are going to be studs with Scott, Walker, James, and Gest.  Penix and Tuttle at QB should be a good battle assuming Tuttle is eligible.  I really don't see any glaring weaknesses, so DeBoer really has a chance to put up some points.

Defense should be a lot better too.  We didn't lose much on that side of the ball.  Crawford will be a loss, but we're solid at safety.  I really think our defense will show a big improvement.

I could see us winning anywhere from 5-8 games this year.  We've been close in a lot of games the last few years.  If we can pull off an upset against OSU, MSU, Nebraska, etc., the confidence from a win like that could really put us over the top.  Until we see a few games under DeBoer, it's going to be tough to put a number on a prediction, but I don't know if I've ever been this excited about IU football.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for the kind words!  I don't have any inside info, so anything I get comes from personal opinions, reading TOS (wouldn't dare post with those crazies, but they do have a more active football board), and checking twitter.

I'm really not sure what I want to predict for this year either.  I think we're going to be a much better team, but our conference schedule is brutal.  Our crossover games are @Nebraska, vs Northwestern, and @Purdue.  Tough to find many easy wins on our conference schedule.  A 6 win season next year would be like a 7 win season in a lot of other years due to the difficulty of our conference schedule.  The year after will be the year I think we can really take off.  Home games vs Maryland, Michigan State, Penn State, Illinois, and Purdue.

I've heard some people have concerns about DeBoer's system being similar to Debord's system.  I don't really have any issues with that.  There are definitely some similarities, and there are some key differences.  I think DeBoer will look downfield more, and be much less predictable.  That was DeBord's biggest downfall.  We could move the ball sometimes, but like you said, we got so predictable in key situations in the redzone and after a turnover.  That was the turning point in the Purdue game.  We got a big turnover, had a quick 3 and out, and Purdue got a long touchdown on the next drive.  I think it might have even been on their first play of that drive.  The defense had to be demoralized after some of our drives.  I know I was.

Same story with the offensive line.  It is really tough to block when everybody in the stadium knows we're running up the middle on first down.  Alabama can get away with that, but we aren't ever going to have a line like that.  I think with better play calling, our offensive line will look a lot better.

I think our offense has the potential to be really good next year.  With good play calling, I really don't see any areas that I would call weaknesses.  I think our O-line will play much better, we've got a couple good young TEs, good big WR in Westbrook and Hale, good slot receivers in Whop, and Reese, and there's some good backups at WR too.  Running backs are going to be studs with Scott, Walker, James, and Gest.  Penix and Tuttle at QB should be a good battle assuming Tuttle is eligible.  I really don't see any glaring weaknesses, so DeBoer really has a chance to put up some points.

Defense should be a lot better too.  We didn't lose much on that side of the ball.  Crawford will be a loss, but we're solid at safety.  I really think our defense will show a big improvement.

I could see us winning anywhere from 5-8 games this year.  We've been close in a lot of games the last few years.  If we can pull off an upset against OSU, MSU, Nebraska, etc., the confidence from a win like that could really put us over the top.  Until we see a few games under DeBoer, it's going to be tough to put a number on a prediction, but I don't know if I've ever been this excited about IU football.

Right on ,and I don;tt know much of anything these days,  but it was a sincere compliment still.  

From where I sit you're a consistent conduit of quality info , rumors, and other fun stuff- into the group discussion -   so from a guy who doesn't always have time to do it on my own it is of value that several people here bring so much info and links in on top of adding good conversation but theres all around value on the FB forum and I see that only growing when Indiana finally turns in the kind of year everyone has been waiting for.  Everyone here is great and I consider all IUFB info go-to in some capacity or another.  I just have a bit more respect from a purely fan standpoint-  for any fellow passionate, diehard IUFB fan since I've been around long enough to have witnessed many times where the IUFB bandwagon has grown and shrunk again. Lol

I'm just like  everyone else on board for IUFB in wanting the team to make it worth everyone sticking around both at the stadium and with the team itself-  for good. Generally speaking.  

I used to get so much more time, but I can't complain thanks to this site.  I'll revisit this to absorb your football specific comments next time I can log in since I cant reply to that part right now without being late .Lol . Already had a couple other posters  i want to reply to but been under the weather a little and busy. 

Edited by jblaz13
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Right on ,and I don;tt know much of anything these days,  but it was a sincere compliment still.  

From where I sit you're a consistent conduit of quality info , rumors, and other fun stuff- into the group discussion -   so from a guy who doesn't always have time to do it on my own it is of value that several people here bring so much info and links in on top of adding good conversation but theres all around value on the FB forum and I see that only growing when Indiana finally turns in the kind of year everyone has been waiting for.  Everyone here is great and I consider all IUFB info go-to in some capacity or another.  I just have a bit more respect from a purely fan standpoint-  for any fellow passionate, diehard IUFB fan since I've been around long enough to have witnessed many times where the IUFB bandwagon has grown and shrunk again. Lol

I'm just like  everyone else on board for IUFB in wanting the team to make it worth everyone sticking around both at the stadium and with the team itself-  for good. Generally speaking.  

I used to get so much more time, but I can't complain thanks to this site.  I'll revisit this to absorb your football specific comments next time I can log in since I cant reply to that part right now without being late .Lol . Already had a couple other posters  i want to reply to but been under the weather a little and busy. 

Thanks again!

I have turned into a big IU football fan since we hired Hoeppner (I'm only 31).  I am really excited about where the program is and where it is heading, so I enjoy finding any info I can about IU football.

I really, really hope we can have a big year soon to pick up the activity on this board.  I love talking IU football, so I'd love for traffic to pick up here.

If there's ever any info you or anybody else wants on IU football, it's recruits, any stats, or any of my thoughts, don't hesitate to ask!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 10:41 PM, Leathernecks said:

Thanks again!

I have turned into a big IU football fan since we hired Hoeppner (I'm only 31).  I am really excited about where the program is and where it is heading, so I enjoy finding any info I can about IU football.

I really, really hope we can have a big year soon to pick up the activity on this board.  I love talking IU football, so I'd love for traffic to pick up here.

If there's ever any info you or anybody else wants on IU football, it's recruits, any stats, or any of my thoughts, don't hesitate to ask!

Cool you're welcome, and for obvious reason I agree wholeheartedly with the direction you turned...Same goes for your feelings about the board. It would really be great to see the team have the kind of success that inspires many more in to join us.  Will do on the stats and info, thanks. Wouldn't hesitate one bit!

I'm sorry to return to this so late after you made it . I lose a few threads when I have to go days without being able to be on. Sometimes I completely forget them altogether, unfortunately, as was the case here.

 

@hoosiertildeath   Agreed on the win total possibilities. Good to have said experience on a team with just as many talented inexperienced players with a chance of stepping into starting or 2-deep roles for the first time. The(player-driven) approach CTA stated would be taken with workouts for the summer suggests they trust the experience quite a bit with leading returning and also inbound teammates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...