Locker Room Issues?

12 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Interesting comments this week from Dakich and Seth Greenberg that we examined more closely.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-is-there-a-locker-room-chasm-on-this-hoosier-team/

Very well-written article.  I would say it’s on Archie to maintain the locker room and make sure this kind of stuff doesn’t happen.  But this is his first ever experience with a one-and-done, so maybe he just wasn’t really prepared to handle it.  I’m sure this season has been a big learning experience for him.

It’s just strange, because the players went out of their way to present themselves as a tight-knit group before the season started.  Was that just not true, or did something change?  

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Very well-written article.  I would say it’s on Archie to maintain the locker room and make sure this kind of stuff doesn’t happen.  But this is his first ever experience with a one-and-done, so maybe he just wasn’t really prepared to handle it.  I’m sure this season has been a big learning experience for him.

It’s just strange, because the players went out of their way to present themselves as a tight-knit group before the season started.  Was that just not true, or did something change?  

No easy answer when you're talking about humans and their behaviors and personalities.  So many variables and perceptions.  We all see the world and reality in our own way.

21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That is an interesting point about Archie not having encountered this before.  His brother surely has, so I am sure he consulted, but each situation is going to be different.

I think that Romeo got all the press early on...think about how the Duke game was hyped. If the coach is constantly featuring one or two individuals, as Archie does, then I can see where other players will start to say things like, “I’ll show them they cannot play without me”. Those type comments don’t lead to team unity or winning. I’m sure it puts Archie in a tough spot, but if he’s going to be successfull and stick around, he’s going to have to figure it out, because we’re sll expecting that type of player at IU

i also remember thinking at HH, that Jerome Hunter was really going hard st Romeo during the scrimmage. I’m sure when you’ve been a highly touted player you’re whole life, you want to prove you’re the best. I think this is also an adjusyment for Romeo too. This is likely the first real adversity he’s ever gone through on the court in his career

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This off season could be one of the most interesting to watch play out in quite some time. TDH, you should be ready to write a book on it called “Off Season on the Brink”. 

Edit: I think that Off Season on the Brink should be our thread title here to discuss all off season moves and news. 

It's funny you say that because I do have two book ideas that plays off of the Season on the Brink title.

It's frustrating to me, but yeah...I don't think Archie saw this coming and his talent at Dayton didn't prepare him for it.  I hope he can find a way to get this team to play together and for each other.  With everything I've seen and heard, I can't lay this at Romeo's feet.  He's come in and done what was asked of him, despite struggling with shot accuracy.

It's almost as hard to lay blame at the feet of the other players.  Sure, we can say "get over yourself!" but these are kids that have been told for years how good they are and had their egos stroked so I can excuse a sense of entitlement, even though by now, it's time to see how destructive it is, swallow your pride and get past that sense of entitlement.  We're guessing about where the problems are here, but for the sake of the team, I hope some players are able to swallow their pride and play for each other rather than for themselves.  No one succeeds when that happens and if you're wanting to play after college, you are hurting yourself as well as your team when you carry a selfish attitude.

Just depressing to hear stuff like this, but I can't think of a more likely reason to explain such an uninspired effort over the last seven games.

If teammates can't handle somebody getting more attention, PT, praise or whatever then they are in for a rude awakening when they get into the real world.   This is not just a basketball/sports thing.  You get a job somewhere and at some point the new hire is gonna be better than you.  Chances are you were that same guy when you started.   So when that guy gets promoted and you don't are you going to complain or quit?   Or are you going to suck it up and make yourself better by working harder to get the next promotion?  Or maybe you see you are an important piece of the team in the position you are in(a team player!!!).

For me I point the blame at CAM.   He knew he had a young team and no vocal upperclassman leadership.   That's where a seasoned coach steps up to fill the void.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Seth Greenberg is the talking head whose opinion that I respect the most.

If there are those on the team that have truly gone out of their way to create the chasm, then those players should be asked to leave at the end of the season.  If not, what happens when the next potential NBA player makes it onto the roster

"If you have one one-and-done your team is done.”  This says in one sentence what I needed a paragraph to say the other day. Avoid one and dones at almost all costs unless you can 3-5 like Duke and UK have gotten.  Even then, I wouldn't want to have that type of program.  That being said, I would rather have that type of program than what we have this year, and what we have had about 15 out of the last 20 years.

If we get Brooks, and Hunter is able to fully return, and TJD is what we hope he is, than I think Langford returning next year would be good. That is if they all like and respect each other, otherwise I think we are better off if he does go pro.  There are a lot of "ifs" and "hopes"   with this program right now that if they were to work out could put us in a pretty good situation next season, unfortunately I don't think next year's ceiling will be higher than 5-6 in the conference.  Way better than last, which for all intents and purposes we are right now, but that 5-6 range was our perceived basement this year.  

We don't have to be patient, I think our emotional state does nothing to build a program.  It will either happen, or it won't, there ain't no third option.

Just now, 5fouls said:

If there are those on the team that have truly gone out of their way to create the chasm, then those players should be asked to leave at the end of the season.  If not, what happens when the next potential NBA player makes it onto the roster

This!!! Give me a BREAK! If you have a problem with a star in your team then the problem is 100% YOURS. If you were about winning first and foremost you’d want that to happen anyway possible and you’d play any role needed to win.

however, if you are NOT a team player and care more about featuring yourself and “getting yours” then you’re gonna have a problem with anyone who threatens that attention. 

The boys (now I’m calling them boys) who have a problem should step forward and admit it and they should catch holy HECK for it from a fan base that is all about TEAM BASKETBALL.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They will be. We will bring in a 5 man class

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm with you there.  Any player causing a problem with attitude is on notice right now...you have the next 2-3 games to prove you can put your ego aside and play team ball or you are  finding a new team at the end of the season.  I'll cut players some slack for having natural feelings, but when the coach tells you to get past it or move on, it's on you at that point.

In regards to the article, This team's problem isn't singular. And this locker room stuff would have never been "exposed" if we end up beating Maryland like we should have. There wasn't a problem in the first 15 minutes at Rutgers. There wasn't a problem when we were beating Purdue in the first half. 

3 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

They will be. We will bring in a 5 man class

Good! I’m assuming you’ve heard something so this is very encouraging for me. Cut the cancer(s) OUT.

im hoping we supplement what we’ve got coming in freshman wise with a juco and/or grad transfer. We need some older guys next year.

We need to dump the 2-3 guys tearing this team up, snag Keion and Watford and add a couple older guys and we will bounce back QUICKLY. 

Bad chemistry creates all kinds of problems many of which seem random and don’t make sense. It can affect confidence in individual skills, bad execution, lack of focus, lack of drive, it causes guys to think slower because they’re minds aren’t focused...bad chemistry might be the worst possible thing a team can deal with.

Let me preface this by saying I know I'm getting the cart way before the horse here. 

Lets say we have 5-6 new guys here next year plus Jerome getting back to playing. God only knows when Race will be back so maybe throw him in there too. That is 7-8 guys we are working in. 

If that is the case, I would love to see us take a summer foreign trip to give them more time to get used to playing together. Might help with team building off the court too if that has been an issue. Selfishly, it would probably help us as a fan base start to move on to next season even more.  

The trips can only be taken every 4-5 years, so I believe we are eligible. The main reason I doubt we do it is that Archie was asked about these trips not long after he was hired and he said he wasn't a big fan of them.  That doesn't change my opinion on wanting to see us take one though. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probkem with cleaning house is you basically are back to square one with rebuilding the program. Lots of freshman and sophomores mean another year of learning system and more than likely losing.

With or without a "cleaning house" we aren't cutting down any nets next year.   Dump the problems and put a team on the floor that has heart.  I'd rather watch CTC's 1st or 2nd year teams than this squad.

Go Hoosiers!!!

32 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

If that’s what is necessary to fix what ails the program then I am all for it.

I don't think cleaning house is at all necessary. 1-2 transfers would not surprise me at all at this point, although I still see transfers as failures of the program.  I just think admitting a failure or two is inevitable at this point.  These are sometimes the growing pains when you have a coaching change with a significant difference in coaching philosophy, coupled with a lot of freshmen and sophomores being stretched into roles they weren't ready for.

Archived