Is there a path to 10?

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I believe 10 wins in this year’s B1G gets us a tournament bid hands down. 9-11 would put us uncomfortably on the bubble. We stand at 4-7 as of now. Here is our remaining schedule. Is there a path to 10?

vs Iowa

vs Ohio St

at Minnesota 

vs Purdue 

at Iowa

vs Wisconsin 

vs MSU

at Illinois 

vs Rutgers 

6 seems like a hope and a prayer. 

But I am out of the prediction business! This win was huge.

Need Juwan, need the team to continue up up and away after this game

Seems hard to believe, but we are likely a tournament team as it stands right now. At MSU is one of the very best wins by any team all season. And the Marquette and Louisville wins are very high caliber as well.

Going forward, it's hard to make predictions without knowing if we will have Juwan.

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yes there is a path to 10. All of those games are winnable. 

9-11 also probably gets us into the tourney. Strong resume. No bad losses and weak bubble field. 

I agree they are all winnable. If we can win at Breslin, we can beat any of those teams left wherever the game is.  Call it the euphoria of the win, but I think we do enough to get in. 

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

Seems hard to believe, but we are likely a tournament team as it stands right now. At MSU is one of the very best wins by any team all season. And the Marquette and Louisville wins are very high caliber as well.

Going forward, it's hard to make predictions without knowing if we will have Juwan.

The Louisville win will definitely be a good win, no doubt, but it will lose some luster down the stretch. Mack has definitely done a good job, and the at UNC win was a great one for them, but at the same time their ACC schedule was very front loaded. They haven’t played Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech or FSU at all yet, and also have to go to Syracuse still. 

To answer the question in the OP.  You need to win 5 of the 6 remaining home games (Purdue or MSU would be the least damaging).  And, then you need to win at Illinois.  That gets us 10.  Then, say we go 1-1 in the BTT.  That makes us 20-13 and we are solidly in.  19-14 probably works as well.  I don't see anything less than that working (fewer wins than 19, or more losses than 14) 

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Does any team in the country have a better win than MSU on the road right now?  I guess Gonzaga beat Duke at a neutral site.  I can’t think of any others right now.

You could argue UL's destruction of UNC in Chapel Hill.  I realize the Heels were not ranked as high as MSU was, but that was total domination.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

To answer the question in the OP.  You need to win 5 of the 6 remaining home games (Purdue or MSU would be the least damaging).  And, then you need to win at Illinois.  That gets us 10.  Then, say we go 1-1 in the BTT.  That makes us 20-13 and we are solidly in.  19-14 probably works as well.  I don't see anything less than that working (fewer wins than 19, or more losses than 14) 

If we win @Illinois and vs. Rutgers, we would only need to win three games out of vs. Iowa, vs. OSU, @Minnesota, vs. Purdue, @Iowa, vs. Wisconsin, vs. MSU.  

That would put us at 18-13 going into the BTT.  One win in the BTT, putting us at 19-14, gets us in for sure.  Might even still have a chance if we go one and done in the BTT and finish 18-14.  Looking at it this way, I think 19-14 is very doable if the team that showed up tonight shows up for the rest of the season.  Lot of home games down the stretch here really helps.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If we win @Illinois and vs. Rutgers, we would only need to win three games out of vs. Iowa, vs. OSU, @Minnesota, vs. Purdue, @Iowa, vs. Wisconsin, vs. MSU.  

That would put us at 18-13 going into the BTT.  One win in the BTT, putting us at 19-14, gets us in for sure.  Might even still have a chance if we go one and done in the BTT and finish 18-14.  Looking at it this way, I think 19-14 is very doable if the team that showed up tonight shows up for the rest of the season.  Lot of home games down the stretch here really helps.

I think the next two home games (Iowa and OSU) are musts, just to keep momentum.  I think the odds are against winning @Minny and @ Iowa. so if we're going to lose a home game, it needs to be Purdue of MSU.  Either of those would be the least damaging to the resume.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the next two home games (Iowa and OSU) are musts, just to keep momentum.  I think the odds are against winning @Minny and @ Iowa. so if we're going to lose a home game, it needs to be Purdue of MSU.  Either of those would be the least damaging to the resume.

I will say that if we beat Iowa and OSU these next two games, we are definitely going to make the tournament.  Should definitely be able to find 4 wins after that to get to 19.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

All I know is I would be really pissed to lose to the Toiletmakers at home.  This team is way better than that...I don't care what the records say.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

8-12 with a loss in the BTT leaves us with 15 losses.  I can't see that working.

Meh...it is who we beat.  And how mid-major conferences work out.  But I believe this team found the confidence they were looking for tonight.  Probably a moot subject.  Remember who said our next win wouldn't be until Ohio St.?  I know that guy.

9 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I believe 10 wins in this year’s B1G gets us a tournament bid hands down. 9-11 would put us uncomfortably on the bubble. We stand at 4-7 as of now. Here is our remaining schedule. Is there a path to 10?

vs Iowa

vs Ohio St

at Minnesota 

vs Purdue 

at Iowa

vs Wisconsin 

vs MSU

at Illinois 

vs Rutgers 

Iowa - Win

Ohio St. - Win

At Minn - Loss

PU - Win

At Iowa - Loss

Wisky - Win

MSU - Win

At Illinois - Loss

Rutgers - Blow our Win to send Juwan off.

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

I think that's what some people should believe as well. We don't have any bad losses. We now have wins over Louisville, Marquette, Michigan St that will most certainly give us the edge over any bubble teams. I think we can get to 10 wins in conference. Plenty depends on Juwan.

Archived