Does One Game Change How You Feel?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'm overreacting.   I'm just happy to see the team bounce back from a terrible stretch of games.   A team with a coach who's out of his league and has lost his team would not go into East Lansing and win.  The body language, enthusiasm and effort was definitely different.  Kudos to the coaching staff for keeping these kids connected and motivated.  

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Makes me wonder if some of the locker room issues got worked out in the past few days...?

I looked for signs of disunity during the game and I sure didn't see them.  The guys looked very much together and I mean ALL of them.

People in that age bracket can be THAT fickle. But they’re young men growing in life so I’m gonna hope for the best. It’s gotta be A LOT more fun to play together and feel like a team.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Makes me wonder if some of the locker room issues got worked out in the past few days...?

I looked for signs of disunity during the game and I sure didn't see them.  The guys looked very much together and I mean ALL of them.

I think it’s much more about getting guys back and just making some shots. If Davis wasn’t healthy IU probably loses that game. If Davis was healthy, do we crushed inside in the second half against Maryland? Maybe we win that game. We’ve basically had either Phinisee or Green the last 5 weeks, removing the ability to play them together, or to have the other to go to if one didn’t have it. 

Not having those three guys all at the same time was a significant thing. 

I feel better about the team.  It's very possible that Juwan's injury finally forced the other players to realize that every player needed to have every other player's back, or this was going to be a lost season.  

That said, simply having De'Ron back and playing well was HUGE.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Looked like Romeo and Smith got into at some point.  But I thought it was interesting that Archie said in the postgame press conference that the team had some leadership questions that “I think have been answered now.”

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looked like Romeo and Smith got into at some point.  But I thought it was interesting that Archie said in the postgame press conference that the team had some leadership questions that “I think have been answered now.”

And what does that mean?

One game doesn't make a season,but..at the point IU was at of the losing streak it does bookend the last 8 games,If im Archie I say lets forget about the last 7 games and remember what it took tonight and carry it forward....I noticed in his interview he said they were breaking the game down into 4 minute stretches, maybe that helped them focus more,then trying to think about the game as a whole...they have gotten better on turnovers and free throw shooting .

4 hours ago, rico said:

And what does that mean?

My guess is Juwan Morgan stepped up this week. Seemed like most of the media guys went out of their way this week to mention Juwan reaching out to Max, Robert Johnson, and Yogi about leadership. Whatever happened this past week. It worked. Biggest regular season win for IU in years. Might be just the thing these kids need to turn this thing around.

It makes me feel better yes.  We beat a FF caliber team on the road when everything was stacked against us.  It doesn't make Archie the next Coach K but it gives him a window to turn the season around.  He also finally, finally gets that signature win that I've been wanting him to get so badly.

It was huge to hang on and get that win for the players and coaches.  At end of regulation I was afraid our opportunity slipped through the fingers after a great effort.

Had MSU made a few more FTs and we battled but lost...would that change how you feel now?  Not for me...they fought like we haven’t seen lately, and that’s when wins eventually come.

Great job coaches and players!

My concern has been that this season was going to be a total wash and that we would have nothing to build on for next year, which would be like year one of a rebuild that stretches the timeline out longer.  This performance gives me hope that a culture is being established by CAM, creating a much higher starting point for next year.  Of course, this could all go away and we end up back with the team of January.  To tie this to the fishing discussion yesterday, the performance was like getting a hit on your line when you've been wondering for hours if there are any fish in water.  You may not catch anything.....but at least you know they're there.  Hope has been restored for me for sure.

Obviously I'm still drinking the kool aid the morning after. Time will tell how important or culture changing this win was. All I can say is I don't take winning at Sparty lightly. Nor should our guys. I think I read where we've lost 22 of 23 up there?

PS....IU is 3-0 when ESPN does their gameday with IU involved. 

Archived