Does One Game Change How You Feel?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looked like Romeo and Smith got into at some point.  But I thought it was interesting that Archie said in the postgame press conference that the team had some leadership questions that “I think have been answered now.”

Didn't see that but I did notice something in the post-game player interview videos.  I don't normally comment on this stuff but in the video where Justin precedes Romeo Justin was nearing the end of his time and had been asked another question but was interrupted by a guy (SID?) saying he needed to get Justin out of there and send in Romeo.  Justin seemed surprised at the abruptness of being interrupted and walked away shaking his head.  Was it being interrupted or being replaced by Romeo? Check out the second video in this link:

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/from-the-locker-room-michigan-state-4?fbclid=IwAR0EnZ1aXqCoaoC4og4xVSDk3SWD9pUUZLPwefoAYixR53leJEuV99Z1WUE

11 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Didn't see that but I did notice something in the post-game player interview videos.  I don't normally comment on this stuff but in the video where Justin precedes Romeo Justin was nearing the end of his time and had been asked another question but was interrupted by a guy (SID?) saying he needed to get Justin out of there and send in Romeo.  Justin seemed surprised at the abruptness of being interrupted and walked away shaking his head.  Was it being interrupted or being replaced by Romeo? Check out the second video in this link:

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/from-the-locker-room-michigan-state-4?fbclid=IwAR0EnZ1aXqCoaoC4og4xVSDk3SWD9pUUZLPwefoAYixR53leJEuV99Z1WUE

He yanked DD as well, said something Deron let's go.  

From all the puzzle piecing and the on court exchange, it's clear the Romeo and Justin are not buds. 

no.  one game really shouldn't change our perspective that much, but definitely something to get excited about.  now we have 2 home games against teams that we most certainly can beat at home.  win those 2 and let's start getting excited.  i liked that when i had that feeling of uh oh, here comes that 15-0 run by MSU or here comes that 6 minute scoreless run of our's, we fought back.  let's also remember that MSU flat out lost that game at the line.  

56 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He yanked DD as well, said something Deron let's go.  

From all the puzzle piecing and the on court exchange, it's clear the Romeo and Justin are not buds. 

I agree..  if you go back and watch early post game conferences,  you can see some smirks and eye rolls from justin when romeo talks...

Its Its something he needs to address,  because TJD is going to get as much attention next season

7 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree..  if you go back and watch early post game conferences,  you can see some smirks and eye rolls from justin when romeo talks...

Its Its something he needs to address,  because TJD is going to get as much attention next season

If Justin thinks he is the star of this team he is sorely mistaken.

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

This is a signature win for Archie. The previous coach could only do it once with his #1 seed team. Breaking out of 7 game losing streak on a hostile territory was epic!

Still a long way to go, but, it is very positive for both the short term and long run. For a young coach, in only his 8th season as a head coach, Archie has experienced a lot. He successfully managed through a lot of adversity with a couple of his Dayton teams. The injury situation this season has been absurd. Having to repair this plane in mid-air, flying through this gauntlet of a schedule, would be a big ask for most quality coaches. It will be great to see what he can do at IU once he has a healthy, balanced roster. It will be interesting to see if this team can build some confidence off of this win.

Coming into the BIG, Nebraska was considered one of the most talented, veteran group of starters with a thin bench (but nowhere near the injuries as IU). They lose Copeland and their season is likely over.

MSU isn't the same team after losing one guy, Langford.

Iowa looks like a different team when Garza's been healthy

None of those coaching staffs have had near the challenges that IU's staff has had this year.

2 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Interesting catch.  Could be he didn't know whst direction to walk out.  Body language tells a story.  The good news is the two were talking on the court and Archie mentioned togetherness in his post conference.

20 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Interesting catch.  Could be he didn't know whst direction to walk out.  Body language tells a story.  The good news is the two were talking on the court and Archie mentioned togetherness in his post conference.

Yeah, seemed like an overzealous SID in this case. You even hear one of the reporters tell him he needs to chill out. Might be better to announce, "This will be the final question", than curtly yanking the players with no warning. Appears unnecessarily unsettling to the players and reporters.

The main take away for me is that it shows the team and we fans what this team is capable of.

The main thing about this game was that we knocked down shots.  Not at an "unconscious" percent, but much better than the recent stretch of games. While I don't think we're a great shooting team, I think we're much better than what we've seen recently.

Hopefully this can knock the players out of their funk and restore their collective confidence moving forward.

I feel like they bottomed out. There may still be road bumps but having bigs sure made a difference.  If Deron is back and Jake is a solid 2nd big to provide depth and Morgan is not out the rotation due to his shoulder, this team looks a whole lot better. It's not to late for them to make a run to a tourney bid. 

In the big picture, this gives Archie his first signature win at IU.  Also makes me a little more optimistic for the future in general, as getting a team on a 7 game losing to come together for a win at top-10 MSU is an extremely impressive feat by the coaching staff.  Still can’t really believe it happened.

In the short-term, this win really changes everything about the outlook for this season.  With how badly we had been playing, it seemed like it might be a struggle to finish the season with a record above .500.  The team had played itself right onto the bubble, but now we have a huge win on our resume to go along with wins over Marquette and Louisville.  The team reminded themselves of how good they can be when they play with toughness and confidence, and now they should have a lot of momentum going into the home stretch, with a bunch of winnable games at Assembly Hall to further boost the resume.  

This one win makes me feel way better about our chances to make the tournament.  And if that happens, the season will really be a huge success, all things considered.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

no.  one game really shouldn't change our perspective that much, but definitely something to get excited about.  now we have 2 home games against teams that we most certainly can beat at home.  win those 2 and let's start getting excited.  i liked that when i had that feeling of uh oh, here comes that 15-0 run by MSU or here comes that 6 minute scoreless run of our's, we fought back.  let's also remember that MSU flat out lost that game at the line.  

And Romeo didn't shoot all that well.  Juwan Morgan was out most of the game.  Don't kill my buzz!

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I feel like they bottomed out. There may still be road bumps but having bigs sure made a difference.  If Deron is back and Jake is a solid 2nd big to provide depth and Morgan is not out the rotation due to his shoulder, this team looks a whole lot better. It's not to late for them to make a run to a tourney bid. 

There's something about Jake...don't know what it is...but he adds another dimension to both the offense and defense.

4 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Here is the thing. If I'm Justin Smith I'm mad too. I think we spend too much time talking about Romeo and how he was the "HUGE" piece to the puzzle. I'm not saying any of that is true, but look at it from Justin's perspective. He's a 6'7/230lbs FREAK of an athlete. Yeah yeah you can argue he might not have a huge basketball IQ, but here is a kid who just put up 13pts, 10 rebounds & 3 blocks, one of which was crazy important. Let's assume the guy absolutely bleeds cream & crimson. He's already put in a year. Playing second fiddle to Juwan Morgan can't really be argued because Juwan is a senior, but Romeo coming in as "THE GUY" would make me mad too when he hasn't proven anything. 

We've been on here complaining at times that Romeo looks soft. He doesn't play with passion. He's not aggressive. He's not leading enough. He's not taking over games. He can't shoot. Justin sees all this too and probably wonders what all the fuss is about. Why is this guy getting so much hype? Sure Justin is from Illinois &  Romeo is from Indiana. Romeo is one of the best HS players in Indiana history. Romeo was Mr. Indiana, but that stuff wouldn't matter to a kid from Illinois. 

We want our guys with that ultra competitive spirit. I'm not saying Justin is right or wrong, but I think if you look at this from Justin's perspective, you can make a pretty good case for him not being Romeo's biggest fan. It's possible that Romeo has tried to downplay his reputation as an Indiana high school legend from the jump. He seems like that kind of guy, but I would have loved to see in this video, Romeo paying attention, hearing the reporter ask Justin a question, see the SID try to step in and then tell the SID to hold his horses & he'll wait as long as he has to until Justin is done  answering questions. That would have been leadership, but also deferring to a guy that played his heart out & is a year ahead of you. 

Again, not saying Justin is right, I'm more and more beginning to see how things might look from his side.

Archived