Does One Game Change How You Feel?

Hell yes, this could lead to a much better overall season record for IU than I thought coming into this game.  When I was young I had four sibling.  Mostly, we got along great but there were some rough patches at times too.  Still, I always had their back particularly when someone else was roughing them up.  Some of the best times I remember happened just after two or more of us had reconciled after a battle.  Perhaps this IU basketball family can reconcile and move forward together.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

Here is the thing. If I'm Justin Smith I'm mad too. I think we spend too much time talking about Romeo and how he was the "HUGE" piece to the puzzle. I'm not saying any of that is true, but look at it from Justin's perspective. He's a 6'7/230lbs FREAK of an athlete. Yeah yeah you can argue he might not have a huge basketball IQ, but here is a kid who just put up 13pts, 10 rebounds & 3 blocks, one of which was crazy important. Let's assume the guy absolutely bleeds cream & crimson. He's already put in a year. Playing second fiddle to Juwan Morgan can't really be argued because Juwan is a senior, but Romeo coming in as "THE GUY" would make me mad too when he hasn't proven anything. 

We've been on here complaining at times that Romeo looks soft. He doesn't play with passion. He's not aggressive. He's not leading enough. He's not taking over games. He can't shoot. Justin sees all this too and probably wonders what all the fuss is about. Why is this guy getting so much hype? Sure Justin is from Illinois &  Romeo is from Indiana. Romeo is one of the best HS players in Indiana history. Romeo was Mr. Indiana, but that stuff wouldn't matter to a kid from Illinois. 

We want our guys with that ultra competitive spirit. I'm not saying Justin is right or wrong, but I think if you look at this from Justin's perspective, you can make a pretty good case for him not being Romeo's biggest fan. It's possible that Romeo has tried to downplay his reputation as an Indiana high school legend from the jump. He seems like that kind of guy, but I would have loved to see in this video, Romeo paying attention, hearing the reporter ask Justin a question, see the SID try to step in and then tell the SID to hold his horses & he'll wait as long as he has to until Justin is done  answering questions. That would have been leadership, but also deferring to a guy that played his heart out & is a year ahead of you. 

Again, not saying Justin is right, I'm more and more beginning to see how things might look from his side.

Yeah, that wasn't handled well by the SID. He should have said, "OK, last question for Justin" and let him answer. What we don't know is he may have just told Romeo, "OK you guys each have X minutes so we can get to the plane", so Romeo was just following directions.

1 hour ago, hoosiermd said:

Here is the thing. If I'm Justin Smith I'm mad too. I think we spend too much time talking about Romeo and how he was the "HUGE" piece to the puzzle. I'm not saying any of that is true, but look at it from Justin's perspective. He's a 6'7/230lbs FREAK of an athlete. Yeah yeah you can argue he might not have a huge basketball IQ, but here is a kid who just put up 13pts, 10 rebounds & 3 blocks, one of which was crazy important. Let's assume the guy absolutely bleeds cream & crimson. He's already put in a year. Playing second fiddle to Juwan Morgan can't really be argued because Juwan is a senior, but Romeo coming in as "THE GUY" would make me mad too when he hasn't proven anything. 

We've been on here complaining at times that Romeo looks soft. He doesn't play with passion. He's not aggressive. He's not leading enough. He's not taking over games. He can't shoot. Justin sees all this too and probably wonders what all the fuss is about. Why is this guy getting so much hype? Sure Justin is from Illinois &  Romeo is from Indiana. Romeo is one of the best HS players in Indiana history. Romeo was Mr. Indiana, but that stuff wouldn't matter to a kid from Illinois. 

We want our guys with that ultra competitive spirit. I'm not saying Justin is right or wrong, but I think if you look at this from Justin's perspective, you can make a pretty good case for him not being Romeo's biggest fan. It's possible that Romeo has tried to downplay his reputation as an Indiana high school legend from the jump. He seems like that kind of guy, but I would have loved to see in this video, Romeo paying attention, hearing the reporter ask Justin a question, see the SID try to step in and then tell the SID to hold his horses & he'll wait as long as he has to until Justin is done  answering questions. That would have been leadership, but also deferring to a guy that played his heart out & is a year ahead of you. 

Again, not saying Justin is right, I'm more and more beginning to see how things might look from his 

He needs to get over it!  If/when KB commits,  it will affect Smith directly.   As in coming off the bench more than likely...  even if he KB goes elsewhere. if Hunter is what we think, then again... smiths time is going to take a hit.  Unless he finds a set of hands and a good outside shot

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think Smith can develop into a perfext college 4.  He needs some better handles and a lot if work on the perimeter.  He's long, has shown he can defend, has game changing athleticism.  To say a freshman shooting guard with bump him out of the starting line up is a head scratcher. 

DD, TJD,Books,Hunter, pick a point guard...  im scratching my head if that isnt it.   I can see Al definitely pushing for a spot though

16 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

DD, TJD,Books,Hunter, pick a point guard...  im scratching my head if that isnt it.   I can see Al definitely pushing for a spot though

Not sure how anyone can be that confident with Hunter starting next year. I mean, I really hope he comes as advertised, but as of now, he's still an unknown commodity. If JS sticks with it and keeps working hard, I don't see him falling out as a starter next year. My only knock on him is his ability to finish around the rim consistently. If he possesses "freakish" athletic ability, there's no reason he should be missing so many bunnies and layups (that really should be dunks). Still, love his development and think he easily starts next year. 

Smith needs a face up jumper 15-17 feet...get consistent with that...and he needs to drive to the hoop with a plan. He drives in but I don’t think he has a clue where he is going or what he will do. A couple of Juwans moves and there would be no way Archie would take him off the floor. I still think the starting 5 might end up RP, KBJ, Hunter, Smith, and TJD. With Al first guard off the bench and Davis first big we have a lot of guys that can contribute. Race and Forrester at the 4 and hopefully Damezi helping at the 3. I think it’s a long shot Green comes back just because of all that has happened this year but if he did just hope for good Green.

12 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Not sure how anyone can be that confident with Hunter starting next year. I mean, I really hope he comes as advertised, but as of now, he's still an unknown commodity. If JS sticks with it and keeps working hard, I don't see him falling out as a starter next year. My only knock on him is his ability to finish around the rim consistently. If he possesses "freakish" athletic ability, there's no reason he should be missing so many bunnies and layups (that really should be dunks). Still, love his development and think he easily starts next year. 

Just speculation on my part... I mean we obviously need to ink KB first :)  I dont agree on the freak athlete part.  Kid can jump, but a far cry from Zion...  my biggest knock on Smith are his hands. They arent good

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

You think he will put TJD at the 5 instead of the 4? Just curious

I think so because Trayce can’t stretch the floor and I doubt would do well defending smaller stretch 4s on the perimeter. Maybe if we went up against a team with two bigs playing together Davis and him could share minutes but I doubt Trayce plays anything but the 5 much.

With all the talk of team chemistry and leadership and locker room rifts it makes me wonder if Archie was trying to teach this team a lesson over the last few games.  Something along the lines of, "Ok, you guys think you know what you are doing?  Have at it."  Until they finally realize the coach may know what's best for this team and they finally buy in.  I think the leadership issues that were addressed may simply be Archie teaching a lesson to the young guys about top down leadership from the head coach to the assistants to the players.  In other words, "I'm the leader of this team."

43 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

With all the talk of team chemistry and leadership and locker room rifts it makes me wonder if Archie was trying to teach this team a lesson over the last few games.  Something along the lines of, "Ok, you guys think you know what you are doing?  Have at it."  Until they finally realize the coach may know what's best for this team and they finally buy in.  I think the leadership issues that were addressed may simply be Archie teaching a lesson to the young guys about top down leadership from the head coach to the assistants to the players.  In other words, "I'm the leader of this team."

Everytime I see a post from you. Makes me want to have some Skyline Chili.  4 way. 

o.jpg

49 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Yes!...CincyHoosier....I thought the same exact thing, I don't know if it was his plan, but Archie is too bullish, too competitive for him to let this team completely implode. 

For me, it reinforces that if Archie had the team he recruited and expected to have (i.e. no injuries, including Hunter), and could actually practice against each other, the team could be really, really, good.  It's been a roller coaster year, and may the team can get some breaks and stay healthy to show what they can do.

Not sure I buy there being some huge rift between Smith and Langford. If you watch the replay where Justin and Romeo supposedly “get into it” it appears that Romeo was simply frustrated with the foul call. I rewatched the game partially with the intent to watch how these two interacted, and they seemed to be fine.

9 minutes ago, madmax said:

Not sure I buy a rift there being some huge rift between Smith and Langford. If you watch the replay where Justin and Romeo supposedly “get into it” it appears that Romeo was simply frustrated with the foul call. I rewatched the game partially with the intent to watch how these two interacted, and they seemed to be fine.

I agree. Looked like normal player interactions to me. I think some people are just trying to create drama.

Archived