De’Ron Davis

DD was an animal tonight. I think that we’ve(myself included) vastly underestimated how important, even a semi healthy Davis can be to this team. He and Green stepped up tonight and played the role that we’ve been longing for all season. But what a gutsy performance down the stretch! JS and AD grew up on us a little also. 

When Juwan went down, I must admit that I became disinterested in the game. However, the fight that this group of young men showed tonight gave me hope. Even if we do slip up again, just seeing them out there fighting and not giving up... well, they restored my passion from a fan’s perspective. 

The rebounds and free throws that Davis hit down the final stretch were clutch, and I cannot put enough emphasis on how big his performance was tonight. While we still have a lot of work to do, hope, if nothing else, has been restored. 

Great performance tonight from our juniors and sophomores, but I’ve gotta tip my cap to Davis. Great game!! 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve posted this in two other threads, but the Davis injury was huge. Juwan, while a great player, has been getting killed inside defensively in Big Ten play. Fernando killed at Maryland, Teske from Mich hurt him, as did Parson on NW, etc. 

IU hasn’t had a big body for defense and rebounding for 3+ weeks and it’s extremely hard to win in the Big Ten like that, then add to it playing so many on the road. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ve posted this in two other threads, but the Davis injury was huge. Juwan, while a great player, has been getting killed inside defensively in Big Ten play. Fernando killed at Maryland, Teske from Mich hurt him, as did Parson on NW, etc. 

IU hasn’t had a big body for defense and rebounding for 3+ weeks and it’s extremely hard to win in the Big Ten like that, then add to it playing so many on the road. 

Right! Here’s to hoping that DD can stay healthy and finish this season on a high note!

Bilas starts the broadcast by saying if IU can get 4 to 8 minutes out of De'Ron, that would be impactful.

Well Jay, what do you say about :

25 minutes ?

12 points ?

4 assists ?

And coming back into the game after being iced down.

I don't know about you Mr. Bilas.

But here is what I would say:  " Saturday night, De'Ron showed the Heart of a Hoosier !"

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Bilas starts the broadcast by saying if IU can get 4 to 8 minutes out of De'Ron, that would be impactful.

25 minutes ?

12 points ?

4 assists ?

But here is what I would say:  " Saturday night, De'Ron showed the Heart of a Hoosier !"

Certainly did. Very happy for him. Best game since home vs Duke last year. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

25 minutes ?

12 points ?

4 assists ?

IF DD can put a season together!  He is much needed.  When you have someone that can guard the post, it makes the other 4 on the floor that much better.  Jake also deserves some props.  But, like you said DD was terrific.

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the source of our struggles (if not the magnitude of them) this year have been predictable. You can cover for poor shooting by not shooting that much, it hurts, but you can do it. You can't cover for lack of big men to guard the post. Double and triple teaming with small guys is only so effective and has obvious draw backs. We need our one big man to perform. If he can play 20 minutes a game I like our chances to crawl our way back to a 7 or 8 seed. 

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I think the source of our struggles (if not the magnitude of them) this year have been predictable. You can cover for poor shooting by not shooting that much, it hurts, but you can do it. You can't cover for lack of big men to guard the post. Double and triple teaming with small guys is only so effective and has obvious draw backs. We need our one big man to perform. If he can play 20 minutes a game I like our chances to crawl our way back to a 7 or 8 seed. 

I guess the only caveat I would add is that maybe some team could cover for lack of ability to guard the post by raining down 3's. We can't do that.

The role Davis plays is critical. But just as important is his attitude and grit.

The guy is a fighter. Whether it is overcoming injury after injury or fighting the best bigs in the league, he fights. It may no always be pretty, but it is always with effort and never backing down.

Then watch his post game interview. He has a chip on his shoulder!

His mindset, example and in your face attitude is what this team needs as much as his skill set.

Win or lose, pretty or ugly, Mr. Davis does not have an inch of back down in him.

That's what I admire most about him. I loved his post game interview.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

25 minutes ?

12 points ?

4 assists ?

DeRon was a game changer. We were and are a totally different team when he plays. You don't push that big man around!

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

DeRon was a game changer. We were and are a totally different team when he plays. You don't push that big man around!

And he isn’t even healthy. Basically playing 30 lbs over weight and on one leg...would love to have a healthy team and see how good we could have been.

Big of you Danomatic-  to post this one!  Much respect for that!!! 

I dig people who eat their crow with grace as I have often found myself eating it for some reason or another. When it is a player one happens to be rooting for , it feels good to be proven wrong though. 

A lot of people forgot how good/valuable Juwan could be for IUBB at one time, too . It made his breakout year sweet to see. I would stop short of calling this a breakout for year for DD, but simply because he has not been able to go full speed often enough to give us more than a glimpse or two thus far. . That having been said, fewer guys can truly replace what DeRon offers than perhaps any other role on the team. 

I hope DeRon is able to sustain his play, and has the continuing improved health to do so as Juwan has mostly enjoyed since he really started to break out last season. . .I think DD will only get better, but as always it revolves around availability. Now that Juwan has been re-injured to his shoulder it is even more critical getting DD back to form and building on his strong game against MSU. In the post game interview DD talked with a bit of a chip on his shoulder which appears like the perfect ingredient for a team that hasn't played with much of one collectively of late,  prior to last night.He said it himself . "People don;t respect us right now" You know where he was going with that in his head at that moment. Pretty palpable feelings. and thanks for the share on the interview Mile. 

Archived