De’Ron Davis

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Here's what the amendment says: A player can compete in 30 percent of a team's games – instead of 20 percent – in the first half of the season and still be eligible for a medical hardship waiver. For example, if Illinois plays a 28-game schedule and a player is injured in the eighth game, he still can meet the criteria for a medical hardship waiver. Under the old rule, he would have to be injured in or before the fifth game.

"At the end of the day, it was a value judgment that 30 percent of the season better represented a good opportunity to have meaningful participation in that season," said Chad Hawley, the Big Ten's assistant commissioner for compliance. "If the idea is for student-athletes to have four full seasons of competition while they're in college, the thought was that 30 (percent) gets a student-athlete closer to fulfilling the idea of full participation."

This is for season ending injury. Not sure if cleared but still held out. I would think 30% is 30% to apply for another year. The Big Ten approves the waivers.

I just don’t see it that way. If he is cleared to play and the coach doesn’t play him because he isn’t in game shape etc that isn’t a medical reason. Considering how tough the NCAA is on eligibility I wouldn’t think if player A is hurt for 10 games but sits out the other 20 because coach choose not to play him that the kid should get a medical redshirt...kid was healthy to play he just wasn’t good enough isn’t good enough imo. Now all these nagging things like flu etc maybe they can count that on top of the concussion but if he is cleared to practice I can’t think we can just hold him out of games so he can redshirt (medically). Again I don’t have any evidence to support me but technically Race could play right now. He isn’t hurt...these games count towards his eligibility in my mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He has missed the whole year due to injury so yes he could. I will look it up as to what % you can play before red shirting.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indianas-race-thompson-is-cleared-to-play-again/

do any games since 1/23 should count towards his eligibility. Just cause he isn’t playing doesn’t mean he is still injured. It’s coaches decision. So basically unless he gets hurt again he will satisfy the 30% of the season would he not?

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indianas-race-thompson-is-cleared-to-play-again/

do any games since 1/23 should count towards his eligibility. Just cause he isn’t playing doesn’t mean he is still injured. It’s coaches decision. So basically unless he gets hurt again he will satisfy the 30% of the season would he not?

Hmm. Color me confused.  As I always thought that a regular redshirt was a coach's decision. However, a medical redshirt was a player's decision.... and one that he opted to take the last year of his eligibility.  I realize that rules do change over time. And I could be wrong today.  However, pretty sure that is how it worked in the past.  D.J. White being the prime example. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Hmm. Color me confused.  As I always thought that a regular redshirt was a coach's decision. However, a medical redshirt was a player's decision.... and one that he opted to take the last year of his eligibility.  I realize that rules do change over time. And I could be wrong today.  However, pretty sure that is how it worked in the past.  D.J. White being the prime example. 

I always thought a player themselves could petition the NCAA for a medical redshirt...however it was subject to review and decision...meaning not automatic. If the kid just had a series of minor injuries that kept him out likely not approved but a season ending injury they had a good chance. Race has certainly missed many games but from what I can tell he has been cleared to play and would likely eligible for more than the 30% cut off Indy was talking about. Thus I would assume get denied. I always thought medical redshirts were special exemptions and limited in scope. But I could be just as wrong.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I always thought a player themselves could petition the NCAA for a medical redshirt...however it was subject to review and decision...meaning not automatic. If the kid just had a series of minor injuries that kept him out likely not approved but a season ending injury they had a good chance. Race has certainly missed many games but from what I can tell he has been cleared to play and would likely eligible for more than the 30% cut off Indy was talking about. Thus I would assume get denied. I always thought medical redshirts were special exemptions and limited in scope. But I could be just as wrong.

I am thinking that,  a petition to apply for a medical redshirt, and subsequent approval is subject to the approval of the NCAA. 

4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Maybe I'm incorrect on that, but I believe he was pretty dinged up and took last year to get his body right.

Last year was regular redshirt because of age and get body ready. This year would be medical redshirt. Given the heightened attention surrounding concussions in all sports I wouldn't see how or why he couldn't get one if wanted. 

Archived