Hoosier Hysteria Thread

Indykev

^^ I personally think those guys who are posting elsewhere about "sloppy" play in a HH scrimmage are looking at things from the debby downer perspective. It's a first scrimmage, live, with frosh getting lots of PT and 3 players sitting out. From the clips, fees and lots of other posts and writeups out there, there was a lot to like, including ball movement, lots of screening and cuts, and some very strong play and shooting from guys like Green and Rob. 

Whether recruits like the "flash" vs. much closer to a true practice/scrimmage is going to be an interesting question. In a way, this was more like an RMK deal, a practice and a straightforward recruiting pitch over flash and show. Two key recruits were on the court shooting afterwards, with Collin there. That's pretty positive, imo. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I fully expect Newkirk to start. Just saying that a case can be made for Green that, IF he can control the turnovers and have a good A/TO ratio, I like him starting and the potential of Green and RoJo together. 

Oh yeah, I LOVE Green's potential. He's a strong guard with a nice outside game and strong D. Heck, he just may be on the path to following his brother. I think he's going to be very good this year, and next season he could be a dangerous two-way veteran. Looking forward to watching him continue to grow.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Green was a beast, and RoJo was killing it. From what I've seen (highlights, clips and feeds, was not there) it looked like Clifton M is going to be really good and is already looking stronger. For any there, would love to hear your thoughts on the players.

From early indications, it looks like this year will be the one where we really see RoJo shine and become the player you were expecting last year. 

Good to hear Clifton showing some potential as well. He's in the running to be my favorite player this year :D

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I fully expect Newkirk to start. Just saying that a case can be made for Green that, IF he can control the turnovers and have a good A/TO ratio, I like him starting and the potential of Green and RoJo together. 

I said I liked the idea of Green starting and Newkirk being a major scoring threat with the second unit since last year. Green is my favorite player on the team, but last night worried me a bit. It might habe just been that it was HH, but he was a little out of control, kinda Westbrook or Hardenish....not necessarily a bad thing, but if Green is leading the team in shots we could be in trouble. 

11 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I said I liked the idea of Green starting and Newkirk being a major scoring threat with the second unit since last year. Green is my favorite player on the team, but last night worried me a bit. It might habe just been that it was HH, but he was a little out of control, kinda Westbrook or Hardenish....not necessarily a bad thing, but if Green is leading the team in shots we could be in trouble. 

I don't think he will lead the team in shots.  He may lead the team in shots per minute, but it's hard to imagine Green being anything more than the third guard.  Archie has said Newkirk is the only PG on the team and nothing we have seen so far indicates otherwise.  That said, I think Green can be a very valuable first guard off the bench, spelling either JN or RJ.  

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

when we start talking about a starting lineup, there's always room for what you want/think it should be and what you think it will be.  i personally can't imagine Newkirk not starting.  i would say Newkirk, Davis, and RoJo seem like locks.  probably Green and Morgan?  

I'd say Newkirk, Rob, Morgan, Collin (if health), Davis

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still say people overlook how highly touted CuJo was coming into college.  i have to think he could make quite a "jump" this year.  and last question (for now)... especially for those who watched live or on line - updated thoughts on what our starting 5 should be/will be to start the season? 

Starting 5 imo will be Newkirk, RoJo, Hartman, Morgan, Davis. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Hartman came off the bench, just not sure who would start.. Some seem to think Justin Smith may start? 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd say Newkirk, Rob, Morgan, Collin (if health), Davis

this is probably the main debate.  what type of lineup will CAM want?  big difference in types of players between Hartman and Green.  3 guard lineup or a more traditional lineup?  that part of the lineup may change some throughout the season?

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And last but not least, PRILLER looked like he might actually be able to provide useful minutes this year.  He played really well in the first half, with something like 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 50 off-ball screens.

I am glad you pointed that out. From what I have been hearing, Tim could very well provide some very serviceable minutes, on a three to four minute basis for us this year.

Surprising, I know.... as I , and I am sure others, had pretty much written him off for his Senior year. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Green looked really good, he’s a great shooter and can get to the rim.  But he played out of control at times as well.  He’ll have to learn how to reign it in a little bit.

Davis didn’t get the ball hardly at all in the first half, but turned it on in the second half and showed some great moves, including a little face-up game.  Physically, he does look totally different from last year.  Still had 4 fouls by the end of scrimmage though, so that will be something to keep an eye on.

RoJo looked like RoJo, led the red team in scoring, but he’s still not a point guard.  I think moving back to an off-ball role this season will help him return to form.

CuJo didn’t appear to be a much different player than he was last year.  Hit one or two threes, but otherwise didn’t have a big impact.

Moore started the scrimmage off missing two threes, but he had a couple nice dunks later on.  He’ll get minutes this year.

Juwan played a solid game, had some really nice finishes around the rim.  Didn’t really look like the primary offensive option Archie wants him to become though.

Nothing really stood out to me about McSwain, McRoberts, Smith, or Thompson, although I think McSwain looked a little more polished than he did last year.

And last but not least, PRILLER looked like he might actually be able to provide useful minutes this year.  He played really well in the first half, with something like 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 50 off-ball screens.

Maybe we could have" Priller screen 35" this year.

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Starting 5 imo will be Newkirk, RoJo, Hartman, Morgan, Davis. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Hartman came off the bench, just not sure who would start.. Some seem to think Justin Smith may start? 

I think Newkirk, RoJo and Davis are locks. Probably Morgan and Hartman, although I can see us starting Smith over one of them as he is our only true wing and he has a ton of talent.  It would also balance our depth a little better to have one of our forwards coming off of the bench.  

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

So after reading some of the comments on various sites about HH not being very flashy and the scrimmage being pretty sloppy.  Some feel it may have hurt us with the recruits. Romeo and Garland both being at other big time colleges festivities before ours. What do you guys think?  

I get why some would think that, but honestly, if a recruit chooses a school based on this, then they haven't done their due diligence with the team/coach.  IU "won" Romeo back with this new coaching staff, so he knows what CAM is all about.  Garland has been in contact a lot, so he's familiar as well.  The coaches and overall atmosphere have endeared IU to these two particular recruits.  If another (younger) recruit didn't know much about this era of coaching, then it's good that they understand that they'd be playing for a fundamental, no frills, no flash coach.  I'd hate for them to be disappointed/uncomfortable to be sold that we're a UK type of hype school, then find out opposite.  

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

So after reading some of the comments on various sites about HH not being very flashy and the scrimmage being pretty sloppy.  Some feel it may have hurt us with the recruits. Romeo and Garland both being at other big time colleges festivities before ours. What do you guys think?  

Not to sound harsh - but that's just dumb for whoever is saying that. 1) this is a brand new system they are learning, and 2) part of the reason Garland and Romeo would be coming would be to eliminate sloppy play. 

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Truth be known.  There have been a couple of recruits who were at Late Night with Roy....  who later were laughing about how cheesy it was. And truth be known.  When Romeo was there.... the students did not even know who he was. 

Nether Langford or Garland were showered with even a fraction of the love they got at HH.

A special meeting with an Indiana icon is something that Romeo will never forget, regardless of where he goes.

And I have yet to hear of either Romeo or Darius staying late to shoot hoops with a current and former Hoosier, as they did after HH.

Oh, and almost forgot.  Romeo's high school coach, said as far as he was concerned, HH was first class in every way.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Green looked really good, he’s a great shooter and can get to the rim.  But he played out of control at times as well.  He’ll have to learn how to reign it in a little bit.

Davis didn’t get the ball hardly at all in the first half, but turned it on in the second half and showed some great moves, including a little face-up game.  Physically, he does look totally different from last year.  Still had 4 fouls by the end of scrimmage though, so that will be something to keep an eye on.

RoJo looked like RoJo, led the red team in scoring, but he’s still not a point guard.  I think moving back to an off-ball role this season will help him return to form.

CuJo didn’t appear to be a much different player than he was last year.  Hit one or two threes, but otherwise didn’t have a big impact.

Moore started the scrimmage off missing two threes, but he had a couple nice dunks later on.  He’ll get minutes this year.

Juwan played a solid game, had some really nice finishes around the rim.  Didn’t really look like the primary offensive option Archie wants him to become though.

Nothing really stood out to me about McSwain, McRoberts, Smith, or Thompson, although I think McSwain looked a little more polished than he did last year.

Just one correction Johnson was on the white team

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No, Pat Knight was the best passer ever at IU

I stand corrected; my memory failed me in my attempt to post a sarcastic response in comparing Priller and P. Knight.  Still, I'm not so sure there is great disparity in terms of overall talent between the two.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am glad you pointed that out. From what I have been hearing, Tim could very well provide some very serviceable minutes, on a three to four minute basis for us this year.

Surprising, I know.... as I , and I am sure others, had pretty much written him off for his Senior year. 

Priller doesn't do much self inflicted damage when he's in a game, and deserves to be rewarded for always working hard to contribute something positive even if the ball isn't coming his way. A lot of players aren't selfless like that. If he can be counted on to come in and make the occasional put-back or 3 pointer it could really give the team a spark in a spot role this year.Given the crowd's reaction to Tim, there are some obvious dividends that could come out of using him more, and actually drawing up a play for him every now and then.

Archived