Hoosier Hysteria Thread

Indykev

I went to Hoosier Hysteria.  This is the third year in a row that I have been there, and the crowd was the largest this year. 

Green played the best of any of those who played.

Johnson was good, but I saw no sign of increased PG skills.

DD didn't get involved much offensively until late in the first half (12 minute).  I don't think he was fed very well.  He made some errant passes out of the post.  He fouled too much (4 in 24 minutes).  

Neither Hartman nor Newkirk played.

Mc Swain played good defense, but offensively he seemed at best just a little better.  He still has problems finishing when he goes to the hoop with or without the ball.

I didn't see any big jumps in Jones or Morgan in this scrimmage.

Of the newcomers I thought Moore was the best. 

This team has a long way to go to be a factor in the B10.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I went to Hoosier Hysteria.  This is the third year in a row that I have been there, and the crowd was the largest this year. 

Green played the best of any of those who played.

Johnson was good, but I saw no sign of increased PG skills.

DD didn't get involved much offensively until late in the first half (12 minute).  I don't think he was fed very well.  He made some errant passes out of the post.  He fouled too much (4 in 24 minutes).  

Neither Hartman nor Newkirk played.

Mc Swain played good defense, but offensively he seemed at best just a little better.  He still has problems finishing when he goes to the hoop with or without the ball.

I didn't see any big jumps in Jones or Morgan in this scrimmage.

Of the newcomers I thought Moore was the best. 

This team has a long way to go to be a factor in the B10.

Thanks for sharing your observations!  I think adding two 5th year seniors to the mix will make a big difference in the product that we see. 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Thanks for sharing your observations!  I think adding two 5th year seniors to the mix will make a big difference in the product that we see. 

Yes, I think so.  DD played on the white team, and they had no effective feeders for him.  I think that we be different with Newkirk and Hartman.

Hey guys.  I know a lot have posted their observations about HH so hope you all don't mind one more.  

Overall I thought I was an enjoyable event.  I thought it was the proper amount of flair with the right business like attitude in getting it done.  It did seem a little unorganized at times but I'll give it to them since it was the first HH for the men's coaching staff.  I would expect it to be more organized going forward.  I would recommend one more flair thing to impress recruits.  I am not sure what that might be, definitely not straight no chaser playing basketball or anything like that but something impressive that represents IU and its past present and FUTURE.

The Scrimmage:

The scrimmage was very sloppy at first.  It picked up in the 2nd half.  Its really hard to judge much as a team by the scrimmage due to so many walkons having to play with Newkirk and Hartman not playing.  You have to figure we are going to be going 8-10 deep at most and when 2 of those don't play, leaves a lot of players out there that will never see a meaningful minute.  You could tell the team has not worked on offensive plays much as they were all directing traffic at times instead of just running the plays and finding the weakness in the defense.  Playing against yourself, defense is hard to really evaluate.  Is the offence that bad, is the offense that good and vise versa with defense.  Will reserve judgement on that during the exhibition games.

Now on to individuals:

Scholarship Players:

• Josh Newkirk and Colin Hartman - Shooting looked good in the 3pt contest.  Didn't play during the scrimmage and it showed.  Both probably will start due to leadership but watch out for some of the young dogs to take one or both of these spots if either doesn't play particularly well.
  • Devonte Green - Looked the most impressive to me.  He is still young and made some mistakes but showed his vision, speed and at times decent decision making.  Really feel he should be starting but doubt he will (at least early in the season barring injury to Newkirk).
  • Robert Johnson - Looked as impressive as anyone but looked like what he should look like.  Still needs to fine tune that shooting stroke.  He is streaky.  Would like to see him more consistent than streaky but not sure if that is going to change in his senior year.
  • Deron Davis - Looked good running the court.  Looks much more in shape and stronger.  Needs to cut down on fouling.  We need to feed him the ball and work inside out.  Based on last year, Green may be the only one we have who can effectively feed him the ball.  Newkirk was not very good at feeding the post last year, hope that has gotten better.  If we play through Davis, we will be a force.
  • Juwan Morgan - Looked like Morgan.  Hoping his shot has gotten a little more consistent, didn't show it in the scrimmage but not taking that too much into account.  Will judge those more when seeing them in an actual game.  His hustle and rebounding is what makes him effective and he just needs to keep doing that.
  • Curtis Jones - Curtis looked better and should be a key part to this team this year.  Would expect him to be the scoring leader of the 2nd unit.
  • Freddie McSwain Jr -  Will come in and provide a spark off the bench but is still very limited in his skill set offensively and defensively.  If he can come in a provide 10 minutes a game and not hurt us, it will be a success.
  • Clifton Moore - Looked the most impressive of the Freshman.  Hope he gets a lot of minutes in the cupcake games because we are going to need him to spell Davis.  Davis or Moore should be on the court at all times baring fouls or injury.
  • Justin Smith - Really liked what I saw from him.  Hoping he also gets meaningful minutes in these early cupcake games because we are going to need him.
  • Race Thompson - Not sure we can afford for him to red shirt this year.  With his height, he could be more useful playing than red-shirting.
  • Aljami Durham - Didn't notice him other than his dancing and smile when introduced during player introductions.  Was hoping to see something out of him but he didn't stand out to me in any way.  Not sure he plays many minutes this year.  I would red shirt him unless we promised him we wouldn't to stay with the team when the coaching change happened.
  • Tim Priller - Again, doesn't belong on scholarship.  Especially over McRoberts or even Blackmon.  Now if he had started as a walkon and we gave him this scholarship this year as a senior, I would applaud it, but a four year scholarship player who has played less than 10 meaningful minutes in 3 years, should not have been given a scholarship to begin with.

Walkons

• Josh McRoberts - Hustles but is limited to what he can do.  Shouldn't play many minutes unless there is major foul trouble.
  • Vijay Blackmon - Glad he is a walk-on but even would have accepted him as a scholarship player.  He looked good shooting the ball.  Wish he would get an opportunity to play meaningful minutes but doubt he will.  
  • Quentin Taylor, Johnny Jager, Ethan Lasko - Walkons, will only play in mop up minutes.

Thats all folks.  Thanks for reading.  Can't wait until the games begin!

27 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Hey guys.  I know a lot have posted their observations about HH so hope you all don't mind one more.  

Overall I thought I was an enjoyable event.  I thought it was the proper amount of flair with the right business like attitude in getting it done.  It did seem a little unorganized at times but I'll give it to them since it was the first HH for the men's coaching staff.  I would expect it to be more organized going forward.  I would recommend one more flair thing to impress recruits.  I am not sure what that might be, definitely not straight no chaser playing basketball or anything like that but something impressive that represents IU and its past present and FUTURE.

The Scrimmage:

The scrimmage was very sloppy at first.  It picked up in the 2nd half.  Its really hard to judge much as a team by the scrimmage due to so many walkons having to play with Newkirk and Hartman not playing.  You have to figure we are going to be going 8-10 deep at most and when 2 of those don't play, leaves a lot of players out there that will never see a meaningful minute.  You could tell the team has not worked on offensive plays much as they were all directing traffic at times instead of just running the plays and finding the weakness in the defense.  Playing against yourself, defense is hard to really evaluate.  Is the offence that bad, is the offense that good and vise versa with defense.  Will reserve judgement on that during the exhibition games.

Now on to individuals:

Scholarship Players:

• Josh Newkirk and Colin Hartman - Shooting looked good in the 3pt contest.  Didn't play during the scrimmage and it showed.  Both probably will start due to leadership but watch out for some of the young dogs to take one or both of these spots if either doesn't play particularly well.
  • Devonte Green - Looked the most impressive to me.  He is still young and made some mistakes but showed his vision, speed and at times decent decision making.  Really feel he should be starting but doubt he will (at least early in the season barring injury to Newkirk).
  • Robert Johnson - Looked as impressive as anyone but looked like what he should look like.  Still needs to fine tune that shooting stroke.  He is streaky.  Would like to see him more consistent than streaky but not sure if that is going to change in his senior year.
  • Deron Davis - Looked good running the court.  Looks much more in shape and stronger.  Needs to cut down on fouling.  We need to feed him the ball and work inside out.  Based on last year, Green may be the only one we have who can effectively feed him the ball.  Newkirk was not very good at feeding the post last year, hope that has gotten better.  If we play through Davis, we will be a force.
  • Juwan Morgan - Looked like Morgan.  Hoping his shot has gotten a little more consistent, didn't show it in the scrimmage but not taking that too much into account.  Will judge those more when seeing them in an actual game.  His hustle and rebounding is what makes him effective and he just needs to keep doing that.
  • Curtis Jones - Curtis looked better and should be a key part to this team this year.  Would expect him to be the scoring leader of the 2nd unit.
  • Freddie McSwain Jr -  Will come in and provide a spark off the bench but is still very limited in his skill set offensively and defensively.  If he can come in a provide 10 minutes a game and not hurt us, it will be a success.
  • Clifton Moore - Looked the most impressive of the Freshman.  Hope he gets a lot of minutes in the cupcake games because we are going to need him to spell Davis.  Davis or Moore should be on the court at all times baring fouls or injury.
  • Justin Smith - Really liked what I saw from him.  Hoping he also gets meaningful minutes in these early cupcake games because we are going to need him.
  • Race Thompson - Not sure we can afford for him to red shirt this year.  With his height, he could be more useful playing than red-shirting.
  • Aljami Durham - Didn't notice him other than his dancing and smile when introduced during player introductions.  Was hoping to see something out of him but he didn't stand out to me in any way.  Not sure he plays many minutes this year.  I would red shirt him unless we promised him we wouldn't to stay with the team when the coaching change happened.
  • Tim Priller - Again, doesn't belong on scholarship.  Especially over McRoberts or even Blackmon.  Now if he had started as a walkon and we gave him this scholarship this year as a senior, I would applaud it, but a four year scholarship player who has played less than 10 meaningful minutes in 3 years, should not have been given a scholarship to begin with.

Walkons

• Josh McRoberts - Hustles but is limited to what he can do.  Shouldn't play many minutes unless there is major foul trouble.
  • Vijay Blackmon - Glad he is a walk-on but even would have accepted him as a scholarship player.  He looked good shooting the ball.  Wish he would get an opportunity to play meaningful minutes but doubt he will.  
  • Quentin Taylor, Johnny Jager, Ethan Lasko - Walkons, will only play in mop up minutes.

The reason you didn't notice Durham was that he did not participate in any of the activities including the scrimmage.

Thanks slojoe and CrossboneIU22 for sharing. I think this team will get better as season progresses but I need to lower my expectation a bit for non-conference games. For now, I would bet 8-4 (losses to Seton Hall, Duke, Louisville, and Notre Dame) due to developing defense and lack of offensive power. I initially thought we had a good chance to beat Seton Hall and Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

The Scrimmage:

Now on to individuals:

Scholarship Players:

Walkons

I think you are pretty spot on with everything but Priller.  I do not think he should have been offered a scholorship when he was, nor would I offer him if he had his current skill set as a h.s. player....but I think he will play in more than "Priller time".  I wouldn't be surprised if he played 3-5 minutes a game. He will never be a factor on offense other than the random put back or maybe drive and kick 15 footer, but he will screen his butt off and not really do anything to hurt us on deffense. 

3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I think you are pretty spot on with everything but Priller.  I do not think he should have been offered a scholorship when he was, nor would I offer him if he had his current skill set as a h.s. player....but I think he will play in more than "Priller time".  I wouldn't be surprised if he played 3-5 minutes a game. He will never be a factor on offense other than the random put back or maybe drive and kick 15 footer, but he will screen his butt off and not really do anything to hurt us on deffense. 

I actually agree with you that I think Priller will play out of necessity and his height, but he shouldn't play a single minute.  Just shows how poor our depth is at Big Man.  Hope that changes in the future.  Hope we don't play small ball like the Dayton teams seemed to.  

19 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

I actually agree with you that I think Priller will play out of necessity and his height, but he shouldn't play a single minute.  Just shows how poor our depth is at Big Man.  Hope that changes in the future.  Hope we don't play small ball like the Dayton teams seemed to.  

I understand what you are saying about small ball and agree with you for the long term.  However, if small ball gives us our best chance to win this year, and I think a three guard lineup does, then I can deal with it for a year.  

Arch seems to me like his is more likely than some coaches to adjust his style to fit his roster rather than pounding square pegs into round holes like some other coaches in cbb have.  

Someone who was at HH reported on another IU sports website that Johnny Jager made "  THE BEST FEED TO THE POST OF THE ENTIRE SCRIMMAGE " I'm thinking that Coach Miller will like this kid's POINT GUARD SKILLS and give him some PLAYING TIME ?? I guess I will find out this Saturday  , October 28 ,2017 how much  PT Jager gets in the  game with MARIAN COLLEGE ( spelled with an A , VBG !! )

P.S. Here's hoping that Hartmann , Durham , and Newkirk are fully recovered in time  for tipoff this Saturday !!

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I understand what you are saying about small ball and agree with you for the long term.  However, if small ball gives us our best chance to win this year, and I think a three guard lineup does, then I can deal with it for a year.  

Arch seems to me like his is more likely than some coaches to adjust his style to fit his roster rather than pounding square pegs into round holes like some other coaches in cbb have.  

The 2nd paragraph.  This is what I hope for most and what I wanted most in a coach.  One who can adapt to the team he has but also recruit to his ideal team while working with what he has.

If Tim Priller  can produce all season long like he did versus pee yew last season [ in LIMITED  MINUTES ] ( Priller scored 6 points in only 5 minutes of playing time --- unfortunately -Tim also picked up FOUR Fouls in those same  5 minutes , vbg !!) , he will INDEED HELP the 2017-2018 VERSION of " ARCHIE & THE GANG " ( If Priller reduces the number of  FOULS ) !!!!!!!!

P.S. Was Priller IU's  version of former Boston Celtic Jungle Jim Luscotov In that game versus pee yew. ( All of you OLD TIMERS [like me ] should remember the Celtic's "Hatchet Man " ,vbg !!  )

Excellent comments by all.  They are greatly appreciated!

I expect Rob to really thrive in a shooting guard role.  He’s a good athlete and is strong, so he can defend the position.  He can also shoot open shots and even drive well.  He’s very strong with the ball in traffic.  But, I would not trust him to initiate the offense.  He can certainly improve his decision making and I’d be shocked if he doesn’t.  But as much as I like what he can do, I don’t see a guy who naturally can set up good shots for others, or anticipate two steps ahead like good point guards can.  

Regarding Green, I’ve liked his game.  I think there may be a disparity between the eye test and metrics.  I was surprised to see the numbers don’t show good playmaking yet, e.g., subpar A/TO ratio mentioned above.  But, from what I saw, I think he sees the floor nicely.  He can create and get the ball to the right folks IMO as well as anyone on the team, even if the numbers don’t bear that out.  I can’t do a deep dive, but, as a freshman, perhaps he tried to do too much or guys didn’t convert.   But I see a kid who absolutely has the ability to set up others, but also hit some shots himself, and play tough D.  He just needs to improve his decision making.  That’s not a big criticism considering he was a freshman last year. 

With the premium on valuing the ball and an improved half court offensive system this year, I expect Rob to be a stalwart and Green to be a nice contributor.  I like both players.  

8 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Thanks slojoe and CrossboneIU22 for sharing. I think this team will get better as season progresses but I need to lower my expectation a bit for non-conference games. For now, I would bet 8-4 (losses to Seton Hall, Duke, Louisville, and Notre Dame) due to developing defense and lack of offensive power. I initially thought we had a good chance to beat Seton Hall and Notre Dame.

I expect Louisville to be a dumpster fire without quick Rick! I like our chances! We shall see.....

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

I expect Louisville to be a dumpster fire without quick Rick! I like our chances! We shall see.....

I'm guessing they will be OK this year.  I think their roster is intact and they opened ranked 16th.  Next year is likely a different story...

Archived