Here I go again!

OLDIUFAN

At the end of last season, I was so aggravated at the football team. I vowed I would not get excited early again. They would have to win me back by winning games in the Big Ten! BUT we hire a new OC one that brings a tremendous amount of success with him! We have a new DC who seems to have what it takes. Tom Allen can now over see everything! Another great recruiting class, to go with a lot of experience coming back from last year. We played a Hugh number of freshmen and sophomores last year. So it’s impossible for a guy like me who wants this so bad to not get excited! One of these years it’s going to happen and I am going to say I TOLD YOU SO! 😂

Hope springs eternal! Having suffered through IU football since my days in Bloomington (1989-1994), I always find myself getting excited about the next season even though I have been punished repeatedly for it. I guess I'll never learn. Excited for the 2019 season. Go Hoosiers!

6 hours ago, Bob said:

I was an freshman in high school when they went to the Rosebowl! Have been hoping ever since for a return!

I was A freshman that year also. 3 way tie for 1st in the Big 10. And the other teams were not Mich. or Ohio St. Hard to imagine it was with Purdue and Minny😀

32 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I'm keeping my expectations low for 2019, sadly. Eyeballing 2020 as the year we break out with 7-9 wins.

I agree and I think you are probably right DJ. 

But I think getting 6 wins and going to a bowl game is really important for this coming year.  A 4 or 5 win season would put a hurt on recruiting momentum.   

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is the schedule a lot tougher next year versus 2020?

We have 3 very winnable non-conference games,  all at home.  Ball St., Eastern Illinois,  and UCONN.  Rutgers is at home, so I think there's 4 very winnable games.   

So we would need 2 out of the rest.  Our crossover games are @Nebraska and PU, home vs. Northwestern. 

East games at home are OSU, UM, and the previously mentioned Rutger.  Road vs Maryland,  Sparty, and Penn St.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, Andy06 said:

I agree and I think you are probably right DJ. 

But I think getting 6 wins and going to a bowl game is really important for this coming year.  A 4 or 5 win season would put a hurt on recruiting momentum.   

I would say could not necessarily would . It depends on several factors coming together or not in some form and the degree of those . I spared you guys a super long explanation, but I have it saved on rich text document just in case. Moreover I have came to my opinion over almost a decade. Continuity and stability at HC,OC,DC,and QB are at the root. Anyway, not to discount your opinion, and to acknowledge it: Failure to show progress from game one to 12 in learning the new system is the beginning to the recipe for a recruiting downturn, but it is a bit more complicated to reach that end. It also depends just as much on which games IU wins or loses, but there is a larger context that is getting largely ignored in all of the forecasts and opinions on reasonable expectations going around.. I'm not saying you may not be right. You may be right about recruiting consequences that could come with failure to go to a bowl. I'm just saying there are too many turns things can take at this point and too many angles to view this from to make any conclusive statement. And that I have some of those exception scenarios which are relevant and reasonably possible typed out in more depth. 

3 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I would say could not necessarily would . It depends on several factors coming together or not in some form and the degree of those . I spared you guys a super long explanation, but I have it saved on rich text document just in case. Moreover I have came to my opinion over almost a decade. Continuity and stability at HC,OC,DC,and QB are at the root. Anyway, not to discount your opinion, and to acknowledge it: Failure to show progress from game one to 12 in learning the new system is the beginning to the recipe for a recruiting downturn, but it is a bit more complicated to reach that end. It also depends just as much on which games IU wins or loses, but there is a larger context that is getting largely ignored in all of the forecasts and opinions on reasonable expectations going around.. I'm not saying you may not be right. You may be right about recruiting consequences that could come with failure to go to a bowl. I'm just saying there are too many turns things can take at this point and too many angles to view this from to make any conclusive statement. And that I have some of those exception scenarios which are relevant and reasonably possible typed out in more depth. 

I agree that it will all depend on how it happens.  We have a lot of games that I could see us playing well in and still losing.  OSU, Mich, @Neb, @PSU, @MSU, and maybe even Northwestern and @PU.  I still think we get at least one win out of that group this year.  Then our 3 non conference games should be wins, Rutgers should be a win, and @ Maryland is a good chance to win.  We could play reasonably well all year and go 5-7.  If we do that and are real close in a few of our tough games, I think we'll still have good momentum.  If we go 5-7 and get blown out by most of our tough teams, I could see us losing a little ground in recruiting.

But, if we go 6-6 or 7-5...

Archived