Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I disagree. Indiana has allowed teams to shoot 31.6% on the year which ranks 61 in the nation. Besides those two Iowa players who shot a combined 9-14 the rest of Iowa shot 1-11 on threes.

edit: The issue this season has always been the offense.

We have one true big man, and he is still recovering.. That forces us to double down low, a lot. That means someone, somewhere, is open. I think we do pretty well defending the 3 considering. 

I don't know UVA basketball well enough to properly compare the nuances, but their defensive system is pretty similar to ours. Seems to work for them. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I’m probably in the minority here, but I think the Marquette game was probably the worse thing that could have happened to us. It gave us a false sense of what this team really is. This team is actually probably closer to what we are now then what we were then. I think we all drank the kool-aid when Romeo came. We put unreal expectations on him to come in and lead this team to somewhere it was probably never going to go. I just don’t think this team was very good to begin with and we thought Romeo was going to save us and it just hasn’t happened. I’ll still watch this team and just be sad for the rest of the year and hopefully we will get it turned around to what we used to be. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Iowa’s 3pt shooting had nothing to do with the pack line defense. It’s not the game plan was to let Bohannon shoot. The dude was hitting 3pt shots at the shot-clock buzzer 5 steps behind the line with a hand in his face. Justin Smith had three 3’s hit in his face because he had his hands down at his side and not in the shooters face. 

Other thoughts...

- Green was awful offensively tonight. Lazy passes, terrible shots, etc.

- Morgan is a senior, he needs to be better with the fouls. He’s letting his team down. Cook is out there playing just as hard physical, but so much smarter. Don’t get me wrong, I love Morgan, but some of the foul trouble shouldn’t be happening. 

- Bohannon was the best player on the court tonight, Cook second. 

- Phinisee was really good. He had some freshmen mistakes, but he was solid. 

- I love Langford, I really do, he played great D in the second half, but there’s just something about him that’s missing for me. Maybe it’s the 3pt shooting? I don’t know, but I’ve said this before but he reminds of a high volume scoring guard in the NBA that puts up points but doesn’t really impact the game. I never enter a game thinking ‘we’ve got Langford, we got this game”.

I agree re: Langford. He takes too many bad shots. Well guarded 3's. Pull ups from about 6 inches inside the 3 point line. He's clearly talented, but he is also clearly a freshman. Though to be fair, I think he, like several others on our team, would benefit a lot from the space that's created by more shooters.

9 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

We have one true big man, and he is still recovering.. That forces us to double down low, a lot. That means someone, somewhere, is open. I think we do pretty well defending the 3 considering. 

I don't know UVA basketball well enough to properly compare the nuances, but their defensive system is pretty similar to ours. Seems to work for them. 

UVA's system is number 1 this year against the three and routinely ranks in the top 50. Another issue Indiana has is it's turnover margin is ranked 200th in the country. It's one thing to shoot a lot of 2 pointers and play a slow offense but combine that with turnovers and that's a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I agree re: Langford. He takes too many bad shots. Well guarded 3's. Pull ups from about 6 inches inside the 3 point line. He's clearly talented, but he is also clearly a freshman. Though to be fair, I think he, like several others on our team, would benefit a lot from the space that's created by more shooters.

Maybe he’ll have that space in the NBA and it will allow his game flourish, and you’re right he doesn’t have much space at Indiana. Again, I’m so glad he came to IU, and he certainly isn’t the problem by any means, but while he’s a great player for sure, what he does doesn’t necessarily impact the game in big ways. 

27 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I disagree. Indiana has allowed teams to shoot 31.6% on the year which ranks 61 in the nation. Besides those two Iowa players who shot a combined 9-14 the rest of Iowa shot 1-11 on threes.

edit: The issue this season has always been the offense.

While that may sound like a good defensive percentage,  many of those 10 misses by other players were good shots,  the shooting in the first half by Iowa was the biggest reason they had a 10 point lead at half,  and it is really flawed if you intend to give them up to the other team but don't shoot them (well) yourself.

40 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So I’m probably in the minority here, but I think the Marquette game was probably the worse thing that could have happened to us. It gave us a false sense of what this team really is. This team is actually probably closer to what we are now then what we were then. I think we all drank the kool-aid when Romeo came. We put unreal expectations on him to come in and lead this team to somewhere it was probably never going to go. I just don’t think this team was very good to begin with and we thought Romeo was going to save us and it just hasn’t happened. I’ll still watch this team and just be sad for the rest of the year and hopefully we will get it turned around to what we used to be. 

I see your point, but don't think the overestimation of our abilities was that big. Mine at the beginning of the year was Top 3 in the BIG. I slid back to being top 5 with all the injuries. Truthfully, I could probably be swayed top 6-7 was "ok" this year considering injuries. However, I've got my limits on how much bend I can tolerate. 

Not throwing in the towel completely this season yet, but shaping up to be a pretty definite "L" for Archie this season. Adds pressure for him down the road, hope he and team can turn the corner.

Tyler Cook and Jordan Bohannon were just killer for IU. As Archie mentioned in the post game, Indiana took the Iowa shot clock to 10 and under so many times, but the Hawkeyes continued to score daggers against IU. Winnable game, but the play needed more clean up.

Devonte, as others have mentioned, did not play well at all. Game high four turnovers and -12 in the plus/minus. 

Indiana Unable to Sustain Momentum, Loses to Iowa 72-77

Every game the other team is better at 3 of the 5 positions.  Tonight I felt like Iowa was better at 4 of the 5 positions.  We are a small team with no shooters.  Our junior guard has no b-ball IQ and is a turnover machine. Out stud senior always has to guard bigger men and play out of position.  Our star freshman can not shoot and seems to have a very hard time creating shots and moving without the ball.  We are just a poorly made up team.  Still think that changes in the coming seasons.  You have to play with the hand your dealt with but this is not a very good hand.

16 minutes ago, Hard Hat said:

Every game the other team is better at 3 of the 5 positions.  Tonight I felt like Iowa was better at 4 of the 5 positions.  We are a small team with no shooters.  Our junior guard has no b-ball IQ and is a turnover machine. Out stud senior always has to guard bigger men and play out of position.  Our star freshman can not shoot and seems to have a very hard time creating shots and moving without the ball.  We are just a poorly made up team.  Still think that changes in the coming seasons.  You have to play with the hand your dealt with but this is not a very good hand.

Seasons?  That has to change next year.  The Board of Trustees were already signaling before the Michigan State game that they are less than enthused with the state of the basketball and football team.  Miller absolutely has to turn this around next year, he already has a sizable portion of the fanbase that is off the bandwagon, he will have a hard time surviving another year that is anything like this.

Frankly, if we do not make the tournament next year he should be fired and Glass should go with him.  I know that this is the more optimistic board generally speaking but there is no good excuse for missing the tournament 3 years in a row.  Culture or not, by year 3 you should be able to get to 20 wins and have enough quality wins to get you in the tournament.  They could start that by actually protecting home court.  Based on current play, they have a bunch more losing to do in front of the home crowd the next couple of weeks.

This year has been disheartening, I am off the Miller bandwagon right now, he needs to get me back on it.  I am not willing to support the makeup of this team or the way it has been coached with the same amount of "patience" we gave Tom Crean.  We wasted 2 decades being patient.  We were more patient than any of the blue blood schools would have been in a similar situation and now we find ourselves no longer a blue blood.  Patience has gotten us no where positive the past 19 years.  I am done being patient in support of this.  We are regressing right now. 

5 hours ago, rbkl said:

Tyler Cook and Jordan Bohannon were just killer for IU. As Archie mentioned in the post game, Indiana took the Iowa shot clock to 10 and under so many times, but the Hawkeyes continued to score daggers against IU. Winnable game, but the play needed more clean up.

Devonte, as others have mentioned, did not play well at all. Game high four turnovers and -12 in the plus/minus. 

Indiana Unable to Sustain Momentum, Loses to Iowa 72-77

Exactly. If you want to see where there's a huge disparity, take a look at the production from the upperclassmen in this game. Bohannon and Cook had monster games. Meanwhile, Devonte was simply awful, DD had minimal impact, Juwan fouled out on some really dumb fouls, and Fitz was his usual non existent self. You're not going to go very far with that kind of production from your supposed leaders. 

Really disappointing loss.

5 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

We were supposed to be better this year.  Last year we were 16-15. This year we are 13-10 and trending in the wrong direction.  We cant have another year like this next year.  

Exactly.  And at least last year we started out like hot garbage but improved a bit during the year.  This year we started out decently and then after New Years just completely fell off the rails.  We are a bad night of free throw shooting by Michigan State away from being 0-fer 2019.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Exactly.  And at least last year we started out like hot garbage but improved a bit during the year.  This year we started out decently and then after New Years just completely fell off the rails.  We are a bad night of free throw shooting by Michigan State away from being 0-fer 2019.

Well, technically, the Illinois game was in 2019 as well.  :coffee:

8 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

I'll keep harping on this. Three point defense really flawed.  Can't win anything the way the game is played now if you can't  defend the three

They hit 10-25 3's last night and at least 4 were contested 25 footers as the shot clock was going down.  To me the defense against the 3's were not that bad last night but it was  team hitting tough contested shots.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Seasons?  That has to change next year.  The Board of Trustees were already signaling before the Michigan State game that they are less than enthused with the state of the basketball and football team.  Miller absolutely has to turn this around next year, he already has a sizable portion of the fanbase that is off the bandwagon, he will have a hard time surviving another year that is anything like this.

Frankly, if we do not make the tournament next year he should be fired and Glass should go with him.  I know that this is the more optimistic board generally speaking but there is no good excuse for missing the tournament 3 years in a row.  Culture or not, by year 3 you should be able to get to 20 wins and have enough quality wins to get you in the tournament.  They could start that by actually protecting home court.  Based on current play, they have a bunch more losing to do in front of the home crowd the next couple of weeks.

This year has been disheartening, I am off the Miller bandwagon right now, he needs to get me back on it.  I am not willing to support the makeup of this team or the way it has been coached with the same amount of "patience" we gave Tom Crean.  We wasted 2 decades being patient.  We were more patient than any of the blue blood schools would have been in a similar situation and now we find ourselves no longer a blue blood.  Patience has gotten us no where positive the past 19 years.  I am done being patient in support of this.  We are regressing right now. 

Not only is IU painful to watch,  reading this board can be equally disheartening. I am proud to be a part of this board as well as posting my views and opinions, as we all do here. The only thing that is frustrating is reading about all those who continually want Archie fired. I feel that the frustration should be more on the players and their inabilities then with the coaches. This group of players are just not that good. Period! 

Frankly, after the Michigan State win, which was both awesome and refreshing, ....I never thought we were going to beat Iowa. I watched Iowa pummel Michigan and literally have their way with them. Iowa is a load of a team and way better than their record shows. All their pieces are coming together at the right time. In my opinion, they are 1 stud point guard away from being top 5 in the country. As far as that goes, right now, they are the hottest and best team in the BIG TEN!. Their "inside-out" approach is absolutely deadly!  I just hope that on February 22nd, when we go to Iowa, we can return the favor. It will be highly unlikely, but it seems that we play better away then at home....The odds will not be in our favor.

Tired of spotting teams 10 point leads. Tired of kids coming into Assembly Hall and beating us up. Tired of trying to talk myself into things on the court are trending up. Maybe it's just as simple as waiting for better players. If that's the case should I start thinking 2021 season we have a chance at making a run?

8 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I hate the packline Defense.. Yes back in the day when teams only had one or two outside Shooters, it worked. Now days a team like Iowa just kills it.  I don’t think this defense is the future of this program. Iowa’s zone definitely caused us problems. I’m surprised every team doesn’t play that since we suck from the outside. I’m tired of scoring 60 points a game and walking it up the floor.

Yes, UVA has just been a terrible defensive team using the pack line LOL!

I was disappointed in the outcome but I think Archie is right that I wouldn't be too disappointed in the team.  For the most part I think most players played hard and that we played well.  The problem is that we have a couple of lapses through the game and they cost us.  Actually what I am most disappointed in is this fan base and how they just overreact to everything.  Anyone who thinks Archie's job should be in jeopardy is not the kind of fan base I grew up being proud of.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was disappointed in the outcome but I think Archie is right that I wouldn't be too disappointed in the team.  For the most part I think most players played hard and that we played well.  The problem is that we have a couple of lapses through the game and they cost us.  Actually what I am most disappointed in is this fan base and how they just overreact to everything.  Anyone who thinks Archie's job should be in jeopardy is not the kind of fan base I grew up being proud of.

Nail on the head!!! Mic drop IU Scott.

Archived