Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third HOME loss!  Seriously!  Knowing how important this game was.  Season most likely over.  Doubt NCAA again this year.  Glad I sold my remaining tickets after the Michigan debacle.  Hard to watch this team as it goes thru the necessary reorganization and  growth necessary to play in CAM's system.  Still think we are 2 years away from the consistency we all yearn for.  The youth and lack of depth has really been exposed during the BIG season.  Simply unable to put together 40 min of BB together.  Lack of  culture and senior leadership killed this season.  Current woes due to no talented 3-4 yr players in the system.  

DG:  Never will be reliable.  Fire and Ice 

JM:  Foul trouble simply insurmountable

JS:  Inconsistent.  Cannot maintain intensity  on D and simply not a skilled offensive player

DD:  Add 15pt to loss if unavailable.

JF:  Good energy.  Just too small and young

Fitz:  Simply not the player we thought

RL:  Too many lazy passes.  Took too much time to get going

RP:  Good game

Al:  Hardest working.  Most reliable.  True hoosier.  Love watching him improve.  

CAM:  Don't get too enamored with Star Gazing.  We need SHOOTERS not SCORERS.  

I hate the packline Defense.. Yes back in the day when teams only had one or two outside Shooters, it worked. Now days a team like Iowa just kills it.  I don’t think this defense is the future of this program. Iowa’s zone definitely caused us problems. I’m surprised every team doesn’t play that since we suck from the outside. I’m tired of scoring 60 points a game and walking it up the floor.

I also feel like Archie doesn’t value the 3 pt shot. He puts little value recruiting kids that excell at it...and this team doesn’t defend it. I mean if you are down 9 you have to get 5 stops and scores to get it back to even and yet if you score 3s you only need 3 stops. We see it time and again. We get down...we get stop after stop after stop to get the lead to a 1 possession game and in two possessions suddenly it’s like 4 to 5 possession game again because we can only score 2s and it’s gone from 3 to 9 pts and it will take 5 more possessions. Anyways we all know this and it goes without saying we need some shooting on this team.

5 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

And we recruited him over Desmond Bane in our own state. Tom Crean. The gift that keeps on giving. 

As inconsistent as Devonte was,   he wasn't the main reason we gave up 42 points in the first half. This game was really lost in the first half.

Until next year folks..... in all I honesty, I said it after Friday’s win, people needed to check their excitement bc nothing with this team changed... only made shots. We make some shots tonight, we win. Seem to be pretty unlucky too. How many times has a player hit a bulls*** three at the end of a half, game, shot clock, etc against us this year?

4 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I hate the packline Defense.. Yes back in the day when teams only had one or two outside Shooters, it worked. Now days a team like Iowa just kills it.  I don’t think this defense is the future of this program. Iowa’s zone definitely caused us problems. I’m surprised every team doesn’t play that since we suck from the outside. I’m tired of scoring 60 points a game and walking it up the floor.

Agree.  I can't believe how many times i've seen a team come to AH  in the last two years and get comfortable shooting from three.  Also,  I don't know much,  but how come it is so easy for teams to feed the post against us.  I thought I used to hear commentators say you have to challenge the entry pass and make it difficult. Our defense seems designed to make every team comfortable rather than nervous. 

31 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I'll keep harping on this. Three point defense really flawed.  Can't win anything the way the game is played now if you can't  defend the three

I disagree. Indiana has allowed teams to shoot 31.6% on the year which ranks 61 in the nation. Besides those two Iowa players who shot a combined 9-14 the rest of Iowa shot 1-11 on threes.

edit: The issue this season has always been the offense.

56 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Until next year folks..... in all I honesty, I said it after Friday’s win, people needed to check their excitement bc nothing with this team changed... only made shots. We make some shots tonight, we win. Seem to be pretty unlucky too. How many times has a player hit a bulls*** three at the end of a half, game, shot clock, etc against us this year?

We shot 49% from the field and 33% from three tonight... Making shots was not the issue.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I also feel like Archie doesn’t value the 3 pt shot. He puts little value recruiting kids that excell at it...and this team doesn’t defend it. I mean if you are down 9 you have to get 5 stops and scores to get it back to even and yet if you score 3s you only need 3 stops. We see it time and again. We get down...we get stop after stop after stop to get the lead to a 1 possession game and in two possessions suddenly it’s like 4 to 5 possession game again because we can only score 2s and it’s gone from 3 to 9 pts and it will take 5 more possessions. Anyways we all know this and it goes without saying we need some shooting on this team.

I don't see much evidence to back up that first sentence. Damezei was supposed to be a shooter, might still be one. Phinisee is a solid shooter. Hunter is rumored to be a shooter. So Archie brought in 3 shooters in his first class. Sounds like we have one coming in next year.

Iowa’s 3pt shooting had nothing to do with the pack line defense. It’s not like the game plan was to let Bohannon shoot. The dude was hitting 3pt shots at the shot-clock buzzer 5 steps behind the line with a hand in his face. Justin Smith had three 3’s hit in his face because he had his hands down at his side and not in the shooters face. 

Other thoughts...

- Green was awful offensively tonight. Lazy passes, terrible shots, etc.

- Morgan is a senior, he needs to be better with the fouls. He’s letting his team down. Cook is out there playing just as hard physical, but so much smarter. Don’t get me wrong, I love Morgan, but some of the foul trouble shouldn’t be happening. 

- Bohannon was the best player on the court tonight, Cook second. 

- Phinisee was really good. He had some freshmen mistakes, but he was solid. 

- I love Langford, I really do, he played great D in the second half, but there’s just something about him that’s missing for me. Maybe it’s the 3pt shooting? I don’t know, but I’ve said this before but he reminds of a high volume scoring guard in the NBA that puts up points but doesn’t really impact the game. I never enter a game thinking ‘we’ve got Langford, we got this game”.

Archived