Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

Agree with you Fouls.  The lack of meaningful development from DG and I would have to include JS from last year has disappointed me the most about this year.  Both players possess great athleticism but their BB skills and IQ are sorely lacking.  Comparing their development to what I see in Al, who I don't think is as athletic and it is puzzling.  Al has been rumored to take on the responsibility  simile to what we heard about VO to improve himself year over year and it absolutely shows on the court this year.  Al, in my opinion, is the most improved player on the team.  Makes one wonder if DG and JS were as willing to put in the work how good they can become.  I just get the feeling that they continue to rely on that athletic ability at the detriment of practicing the fundamentals.  Forgoing the adage to practice to your weaknesses and play to your strengths.  I would love to see the same development for DG and JS going forward but just think it is fools gold at this point.  

You kind of answered your own questions. It's not that puzzling at all. I don't know these kids whatsoever, so I always hate to judge them just from what we see on TV, which can be dangerous, but with that said it appears to me that Al Durham is a hard working kid that is not only putting the work in, but working in a way that is coachable, with that last part being the key. From the way he carries himself, speaks and what is said by analysts, coaches, etc., it sounds like he's not only working his tail off, but doing it within the confines of the system and what the coaches are asking of him. 

There are some other guys where the same doesn't appear to be true, at least from a distance. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think the biggest issue the last few games has been Phinisee. People might disagree, but Green was playing good D yesterday, and it went away when he was pulled. Phinisee also seems afraid to take the open shot unless he's WIDE open. Granted Green blew a few shots and had a bad turnover, but his D has been on point. Yesterday, when they played D they were the better team. Green causes turnovers (sometimes too many of his own), which this team needs badly. When they score in transition, they are a completely different (better) team. 

14 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I really think the biggest issue the last few games has been Phinisee. People might disagree, but Green was playing good D yesterday, and it went away when he was pulled. Phinisee also seems afraid to take the open shot unless he's WIDE open. Granted Green blew a few shots and had a bad turnover, but his D has been on point. Yesterday, when they played D they were the better team. Green causes turnovers (sometimes too many of his own), which this team needs badly. When they score in transition, they are a completely different (better) team. 

Not sure how anyone can give Green any sort of props for his play last night. He was awful. Not just one, but 4 turnovers, and his usual handful of bad shots, including that runner in the lane that barely caught iron. What's most frustrating to me is Iowa has a junior guard that is draining 3s all over the court, hitting big shots, and leading his team to a big W and we have ... Green. He did grab a couple of boards and hit a 3, but his overall play was a big negative. 

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Not sure how anyone can give Green any sort of props for his play last night. He was awful. Not just one, but 4 turnovers, and his usual handful of bad shots, including that runner in the lane that barely caught iron. What's most frustrating to me is Iowa has a junior guard that is draining 3s all over the court, hitting big shots, and leading his team to a big W and we have ... Green. He did grab a couple of boards and hit a 3, but his overall play was a big negative. 

Don't get me wrong, he's not better than Rob and he had some bad turnovers, but he also had 3 steals. It just seemed like Iowa was nailing dagger threes when Green was on the bench. He's not good, that's not my point. I just think they should of put him in there towards the end for defense. 

23 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Don't get me wrong, he's not better than Rob and he had some bad turnovers, but he also had 3 steals. It just seemed like Iowa was nailing dagger threes when Green was on the bench. He's not good, that's not my point. I just think they should of put him in there towards the end for defense. 

Fair enough. I think the issue last night was he was such a disaster on the offensive end that any defense he brought to the table wasn't worth the risk. That pass he threw to Fitz was just bafflingly bad. What sucks is that he can be really, really good, and after 3 years, he should've figured out how to do that more consistently.

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Definitely agree that our inability to make shots has been one of the primary issues over this losing streak, but I don’t think it was the main reason we lost last night... I’d say that turnovers and defensive lapses were what did us in.  

I’d like for us to be a better three point shooting team, but 7/21 is probably about what we can expect on an average night going forward with Archie.  We’re never going to be a team that averages 40%+ from three on a consistent basis.

Yes we have defensive lapses and turnovers but we held them to a lower total FG% and turned it over a “not too bad” 12 times (unless I’m misremembering what I saw). The difference on the score sheet is that they made 10 threes to our 7. And unfortunately a couple of those were well defended. We missed a lot of open looks.

10 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Pulling it all together with grades, highlights, post-game and more as a new reality (the old reality) sets in.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iowa-at-indiana-the-report-card/

Found it.  Fair and accurate.  I told a buddy the defense needs to take 3 steps forward.  Have to make a veteran team of shooters more uncomfortable and put it on the floor.  For that, I lay some of this on coaching.  

Archived