What's up with our crowd?

AxnJxn

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Wrong.  If Chris Ballard had continued losing like Grigson, he absolutely would start to take the blame for it.  You are bringing up instances where guys were hired to do a clean up job and they are succeeding in that job.  If Luck had sucked as bad as Painter he would have been lumped in as, "another crappy Colts quarterback who could not take over after Manning left...."  

We're clearly not going to come to an understanding here. You're way off.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We're clearly not going to come to an understanding here. You're way off.

Ditto.  Agree to disagree because I feel the same way about your opinion. (You're way off.)

I will say that both of us probably want the same thing at the end of the day though and I could really care less who is in charge when we get it.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I was told (not sure of the validity of it) that around half of the trustees didn’t like/want the Archie hire. 

Can you speak to their preference of a coach at that time? Did those trustees prefer to keep Tom Crean without consideration of another coach? Did they want to wait because they did not feel a game changer was available?

Thanks 0708 for any additional light you can shed.

I believe in Archie very much. I think he'll succeed. I think we have to give him time to get a cycle of his guys in here. With that said this comment is only the what if type. If it doesn't happen I'd like for IU (i.e. AD, University, anyone....) to put their collective money where their mouth is. Back up the truck and unload. 

6 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Sorry, but fans like you are going to have to get over the 18 years before Archie. He has nothing to do with it.

The op asked what Was up with the fans? My answer is they are tired of losing. Do I say they have a right to act like that?  He’ll no... I just feel their frustration.

11 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, I really do not have to get over anything.  I can take the past 16 to 17 years of ineptness and hold that against Fred Glass and those above him.  I can learn from that prior mistake of thinking, "things are suddenly going to change in the face of all of this current evidence if only X, Y, and Z happen" and decide that I am not in for another 5 year rebuild that is bolstered by excuse after excuse from the admin, coach, and some fans.  Feel free to do you, but I am done with that.

We can all make our decisions on how much time Archie has before we consider him worth more time or a lost cause.  My breaking point is next year and I won't be alone.

Reminds me of inherited runners in baseball.  Fair analogy or not, I am curious if you think it is fair and if not, why?

11 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

The op asked what Was up with the fans? My answer is they are tired of losing. Do I say they have a right to act like that?  He’ll no... I just feel their frustration.

I certainly get that, but here's the thing. I think the team had a great opportunity on Thursday night to really turn things around on this season, and it would have been a big building block for the future, and they failed. However, at least on the TV broadcast, it didn't seem like our crowd was up to the challenge, either, and I think that was also a failure. I'm fiercely proud of this fanbase, and how we showed up at the start of the Crean era when he was running walkons out there, the "Carnegie Hall" of arenas, and so forth, it just didn't seem like we were up to our usual standards on Thursday. As I mentioned previously, the Louisville and Marquette games earlier in the year were examples of how our fans usually show up and are raucous, and it didn't seem the same on Thursday at all.

4 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Reminds me of inherited runners in baseball.  Fair analogy or not, I am curious if you think it is fair and if not, why?

Pretty fair really, the inherited runner was not your fault and it does not  count against your E.R.A. but as a relief pitcher, if you have a habit of allowing those inherited runners to score, you will not have a job long.

So in effect, those inherited runners become the "fault" of the relief pitcher when they are not successful in their job.  I think that would apply to any A.D. who is hired after a firing.  You are being hires to clean up the last guy's mess, I'd you don't, you end up with the blame for it.  You are paid to get out of the hole that those before you dig.  As soon as you start to try and dig out, you own the hole too.

So there was flooding in the area, 40 mph wind gust and I believe south of Indy was reporting up to 60.  The temperature tanked from 59-26 in about 3 hours.  9 pm on a weekday and I get up for work at 520, would have made it home at 1 am.  If I had tickets, I would give it a 60% chance that I would have went.  

The die for this mess was cast in the early 90's, then cemented in 2001 with the hiring of Davis.

Bob Knight was uncontrollable, Mike Davis was totally controllable.

At the time Davis was hired, there was a marquee coach available, who was interested in the IU job.

But IU hired a man who had NO head coaching experience.

Because after Knight, they felt they needed control of the program.

This is, simply put, the end results of the vision of Myles Brand.

Okay, go ahead and jump on me, tell me how stupid and ignorant I am!

On 2/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, greg haggard said:

The die for this mess was cast in the early 90's, then cemented in 2001 with the hiring of Davis.

Bob Knight was uncontrollable, Mike Davis was totally controllable.

At the time Davis was hired, there was a marquee coach available, who was interested in the IU job.

But IU hired a man who had NO head coaching experience.

Because after Knight, they felt they needed control of the program.

This is, simply put, the end results of the vision of Myles Brand.

Okay, go ahead and jump on me, tell me how stupid and ignorant I am!

Who was the marquee coach? Not trying to jump on you, I am legitimately curious. 

Somewhat related to this thread, I recently started reffing in a non competitive elementary school league. The amount of people that show up is impressive. The things people yell at us (we had to stop keeping score last game) is even more impressive. People in Indiana *^*^ing love basketball. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Somewhat related to this thread, I recently started reffing in a non competitive elementary school league. The amount of people that show up is impressive. The things people yell at us (we had to stop keeping score last game) is even more impressive. People in Indiana *^*^ing love basketball. 

Our crowd would get just as vocal if they scored as much as those kids. When you go 5 plus minutes without a basket multiple times a game the crowd loses momentum. Give them something to cheer for like we did early in the season and they will be there.

My answer to the OP question.  Its hard to cheer loudly and passionately for an uninspired performance.  And when that performance stretches over a season, its hard to be excited about it.  If this team could put together a wining streak of around 4 games, i think you would start to see some energy start to build.  But you have to give them a reason to be excited about each and every game.  Not just a single game.  But watching this team play this slow uninspired version of what some call basketball, i don't blame the fans at the games to just sit there and watch this train wreck.  I am not usually very vocal and excited when i see a disaster on the road or tv either.  Why should we expect any different from what is being shown on Assembly Hall basketball court

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My answer to the OP question.  Its hard to cheer loudly and passionately for an uninspired performance.  And when that performance stretches over a season, its hard to be excited about it.  If this team could put together a wining streak of around 4 games, i think you would start to see some energy start to build.  But you have to give them a reason to be excited about each and every game.  Not just a single game.  But watching this team play this slow uninspired version of what some call basketball, i don't blame the fans at the games to just sit there and watch this train wreck.  I am not usually very vocal and excited when i see a disaster on the road or tv either.  Why should we expect any different from what is being shown on Assembly Hall basketball court

to me the team needs the fan the most when they are down and if the crowd would get up and cheer it might pick the team up.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

to me the team needs the fan the most when they are down and if the crowd would get up and cheer it might pick the team up.

This was also posted after the Iowa game, which was following up the Michigan State win. At tip of the Iowa game, there was reason to believe in the team coming off a huge win, and there was still time to turn the season around. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The team and the fans have a social contract.  They need to do something worthy of the fans to continue to support them.  Don't act like you care and produce a sub par product, receive sub par response.  The first 2 years of Crean were horrible but they played with heart and intensity.  They lost alot but you knew they cared about being there an playing the hardest they can.

As a child, 35 years ago, i loved loved loved going to McDonald's.  You knew what you were getting and the experience was always the same.  Over the years, the experience and the food have become less and less enjoyable.  The restaurant's are almost never clean, the food is usually sub par and the experience is usually leave me wondering why i spent my money and came here.  If they are not going to do things to make my experience worth spending my money, time and energy going there, why would i continue to support them. 

No different.  If what you produce is not worth the time effort or money, eventually everyone will find something different to watch or support. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I still feel like the crowd has been better than when I was in undergrad and we used to chant: “Stand up old people” clap, clap, clap clap clap

But maybe now that I am getting closer to those old people in age I don’t realize it as much?  Oh lord, am I being assimilated into them like the Borg?!

Our fans aren't the issue. Never have been never will be. Sure some hilljack who signed up for twitter might say something here and there but 99.9% of college programs would love to have our fandom/support. Let's not get things twisted here. Our fans. New or Old. Indiana natives or not. Knight or not. Are tired of debating the peripheral when we only want to debate and talk about hoops on the court.

We've lost one generation (last 20 years) minus 3-4 runs (02 Final 4 under Davis, 1 Sampson team, 2 Big Ten Title teams under Crean). I have no desire anymore to start working on the next generation. The last thing I want to hear about anymore is the fans responsibility in this. Find the damn players. Coach them correctly and frickin win. If Tennessee can handle that, if Texas Tech can do that, If Houston can do that, If Nevada can do that.....certainly those around the IU program can figure it out as well. 

I'm really starting to develop a greater liking of Knight (if that's possible). He kept our fans at bay and administration out of Basketball Operations.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Our fans aren't the issue. Never have been never will be. Sure some hilljack who signed up for twitter might say something here and there but 99.9% of college programs would love to have our fandom/support. Let's not get things twisted here. Our fans. New or Old. Indiana natives or not. Knight or not. Are tired of debating the peripheral when we only want to debate and talk about hoops on the court.

We've lost one generation (last 20 years) minus 3-4 runs (02 Final 4 under Davis, 1 Sampson team, 2 Big Ten Title teams under Crean). I have no desire anymore to start working on the next generation. The last thing I want to hear about anymore is the fans responsibility in this. Find the damn players. Coach them correctly and frickin win. If Tennessee can handle that, if Texas Tech can do that, If Houston can do that, If Nevada can do that.....certainly those around the IU program can figure it out as well. 

I'm really starting to develop a greater liking of Knight (if that's possible). He kept our fans at bay and administration out of Basketball Operations.

Fans don't influence what we see on the court but I truly believe they can have an influence on what players will come here or what caliber coach we might get.

4 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Yeah, Pitino lobbied hard for the IU job at that time and Calipari at the time we hired Crean.

I heard that Pitino asked for an astronomical salary. So whether he was interested or not, didn't seem to matter based on his demands. I don't want Calipari types at IU. 

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Fans don't influence what we see on the court but I truly believe they can have an influence on what players will come here or what caliber coach we might get.

Yep. And judging by the 6-7 guys who are actively playing in the league right now that have called Bloomington home in the last 5-6 years I say we've done our part. We'll find out on coaching. When hired Archie is/was the hottest young up and coming coach in the country...we just need to give a recruiting cycle. My point was this. The fans have done their part. It's up to others now. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

He also said this: “Patience is not something a lot of fans have, but this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.” But I don't agree that a coach should "keep fans at bay" and block out any sort of administrative oversight. I think you can control basketball operations while getting along with others; they are not mutually exclusive. 

Archived