What's up with our crowd?

AxnJxn

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What concerns me is that the students today have not seen IU successful and probably have not been into IU basketball like students of the past.  Also getting more and more out of state students especially form the east there are less students who even know about IU basketball.  To me this could hurt the atmosphere at AH as well as the product on the court right now.

This is it exactly and what I was going to post.

IU, the school, "recruits" out of state, especially NY area, for higher tuition and has lowered the in-state enrollment allotment numerous times over the years.

IU, the athletic department decided to have the largest student section in the nation (don't know if it still is but they were "bragging" about it a few years ago), which is comprised of more and more out of state kids who don't have the IU tradition in them that kids who grew up in Indiana as IU fans did.

None of the students (aged 18-22) were alive when IU last won a championship and were too young to be aware the last time we made a Final Four, so even if they were IU fans growing up they have no "tradition of success" ingrained in them personally.

Lastly, IMO college kids and younger today are from a smart-phone generation that have limited attention spans for entertainment in many cases. If the product on the floor isn't entertaining at all times, then their attention can easily be turned to something else (their phones even while at the game). In the mid-late 90's when I was student, when you went to a game there wasn't anything else but the game to pay attention to. Times have changed.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I realize this team has struggled, and it can sometimes be difficult to get excited for games, it was a late start, blah, blah, blah. But, the crowd last night was quiet from the tip, and even when we cut it to 3 late, they were pretty much non existent. This is the same fan base that packed the place when we were fielding a team of walkons early in the Crean regime, so I'm not sure I get it. We were coming off a huge win, and were looking at a chance to turn the season around, and last night was a complete dud in a number of ways, including crowd support. What gives?

I was at the game. I go to pretty much every game. The attendance was not as great as I expected, but there was still a pretty decent crowd. 

When the team started playing well, it got loud. Really loud. 

The problem is we ALWAYS get scored on in the first possession. And our scoring droughts drain the energy at times. 

But I would say you're wrong about the crowd last night. It was one of the louder crowds of the year. 

57 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This was my point a few weeks ago.  IU fans need to accept the path the AD has chosen and support Archie.  They choose the multi year rebuild hire instead of the elite splash option.  As you pointed out who knows if IU could truly get an elite coach and many elite coaches are formed not hired out of the blue.  But whether it’s instant gratification or delusional blue blood entitlement they don’t want to accept that.  Even I get that way at times.  This is where I would love to see IU throw out a bunch of money at someone considered high level and see what happens.  It’s different than the last 4 coaching options.  Unfortunately that’s no guarantee of anything but it might calm the masses.  But realistically there would just be new complaints to be had.

Archie is here and he is not going anywhere so we have 2-3 more years to see what happens.  So while I can complain about the initial hire, and even the on court choices, thinking Archie is getting fired any time soon is crazy talk and not productive.

Side note I think Fred has to be feeling the heat after that last Trustee meeting.  I was pleasantly surprised to see him get grilled.

A multi year rebuild hire that is the 10th highest paid coach in college basketball.  I asked who among our peers is getting a worse return, my answer is on this list:  Ohio State is currently getting a poor return on investment too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiFz53utKzgAhUQVd8KHVHtCAIQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestreet.com%2Flifestyle%2Fsports%2Fhighest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331&psig=AOvVaw2lQoExns0k9cOykCcg0oU0&ust=1549724790224919

58 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Once Archie has a full roster of his guys, we won't see anyone like Green or Newkirk (I hope). Archie is out there getting basketball players. This freshman class is full of real basketball players and so is the 2019 class so far.

I like Rob P. and Al D. a lot.  Forrester brings energy and looks like he'll be a contributor.  Honestly, the jury's still out on Hunter, Thompson, and Anderson.  From all accounts Franklin may be a sleeper, and TJD has size we need and a very good pedigree.  So, yea, all is not lost. That said, I still have to wonder where/how we're going to improve our weak shooting.  Thus far CAM has yet to sign or bring in one of those deadeye shooters that it seems every other b10 team has.

One thing I believe is that to win in the b10 you must be able to win slowed down, halfcourt, grind it out games and having shooters and/or low post players is essential.

Fred was the one that held that big press conference after the Crean firing and acted all pompous talking of not 6 not 7 etc double check marks double check plus blah blah blah.  Sorry if most of us were underwhelmed by the Archie hiring.  Now if had gone out and thrown mega bucks at Bennett and Marshall and still got turned down most of us could have lived with that.  But there is no indication that he did.  This is all on Fred.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Fred was the one that held that big press conference after the Crean firing and acted all pompous talking of not 6 not 7 etc double check marks double check plus blah blah blah.  Sorry if most of us were underwhelmed by the Archie hiring.  Now if had gone out and thrown mega bucks at Bennett and Marshall and still got turned down most of us could have lived with that.  But there is no indication that he did.  This is all on Fred.

How do you know who was contacted  or who was not because most of that will never come out in public.

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I like Rob P. and Al D. a lot.  Forrester brings energy and looks like he'll be a contributor.  Honestly, the jury's still out on Hunter, Thompson, and Anderson.  From all accounts Franklin may be a sleeper, and TJD has size we need and a very good pedigree.  So, yea, all is not lost. That said, I still have to wonder where/how we're going to improve our weak shooting.  Thus far CAM has yet to sign or bring in one of those deadeye shooters that it seems every other b10 team has.

One thing I believe is that to win in the b10 you must be able to win slowed down, halfcourt, grind it out games and having shooters and/or low post players is essential.

In fairness, he tried. Nate Laszewski and Robby Carmody, two of the best shooters in the class, ended up at Notre Dame. I'm hoping Anderson adapts to the college game next year and proves that he's the shooter everyone thought he'd be. 

16 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Until we start hitting this university in the wallet nothing will change. No true commitment to football or basketball

How is there no commitment to the sports because they have spent millions of dollars on renovations.  Like people say that Archie is in the top 10 in coaching salaries and we just gave 800,000 to our new OC in football.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I was at the game. I go to pretty much every game. The attendance was not as great as I expected, but there was still a pretty decent crowd. 

When the team started playing well, it got loud. Really loud. 

The problem is we ALWAYS get scored on in the first possession. And our scoring droughts drain the energy at times. 

But I would say you're wrong about the crowd last night. It was one of the louder crowds of the year. 

Because of location, I can only get back to 1 home game a year, but I watch all of our games on TV, and have for years. There's just no way that was as loud or intense a crowd as the Louisville or Marquette games earlier this year. And in a way, I get it - struggling team, late Thursday tip, etc. - but this was also a team coming off a big win that is desperate for confidence, and I didn't think our crowd was as supportive or as intense as they should be. I mean, on TV, that place sounded completely dead at tip, and there were a number of times in the second half where we cut it under 10 and ... nothing. I guess it was different in person, and maybe ESPN had their mics low or something, but it sure looked like a lot of people standing/sitting around and not making much noise.

2004: "Davis just needs time. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

2007: "Sampson just needs time to clean up the mess Davis left behind."

2011: "Crean just needs time to clean up the mess Sampson left behind. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

2019: "Archie just needs time to clean up the mess Crean left behind. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

This pattern spans four different coaches and nearly two decades. No matter how optimistic you are, at some point, you have to begin to acknowledge that maybe this never gets fixed, right? I think our crowds reflect this.

27 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Because of location, I can only get back to 1 home game a year, but I watch all of our games on TV, and have for years. There's just no way that was as loud or intense a crowd as the Louisville or Marquette games earlier this year. And in a way, I get it - struggling team, late Thursday tip, etc. - but this was also a team coming off a big win that is desperate for confidence, and I didn't think our crowd was as supportive or as intense as they should be. I mean, on TV, that place sounded completely dead at tip, and there were a number of times in the second half where we cut it under 10 and ... nothing. I guess it was different in person, and maybe ESPN had their mics low or something, but it sure looked like a lot of people standing/sitting around and not making much noise.

Then the broadcast was not an accurate representation of the live, in-person experience. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

2004: "Davis just needs time. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

2007: "Sampson just needs time to clean up the mess Davis left behind."

2011: "Crean just needs time to clean up the mess Sampson left behind. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

2019: "Archie just needs time to clean up the mess Crean left behind. Be patient. He'll turn things around!"

This pattern spans four different coaches and nearly two decades. No matter how optimistic you are, at some point, you have to begin to acknowledge that maybe this never gets fixed, right? I think our crowds reflect this.

Yeah, and then Crean did turn things around after 2011. But he couldn't sustain it. Also notable that by using 2011 you are referring to fans saying that after Crean's third year, and we aren't even through Archie's second.

29 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, and then Crean did turn things around after 2011. But he couldn't sustain it. Also notable that by using 2011 you are referring to fans saying that after Crean's third year, and we aren't even through Archie's second.

Agree completely but by those standards Creans 1st year should not even come into play. Where we were in each coach's 1st year respectively is no comparison.  

I personally felt that CAM was more of a homerun hire and expected more sooner. Probably not fair

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

No, "most of us" were not underwhelmed by Archie's hiring.

"Most of us" thought that he was/is an up and coming young coach who had the toughness combined with the experience of playing high level ball to be able to relate to kids in a way that Crean never could. 

Has it panned out? TBD. Is it too soon to rush to judgement? IMO, absolutely. 

The IU job is already one of the toughest coaching jobs in the country. Expectations are always high...sometimes unrealistically so. The fanbase is generally knowledgeable. We are a "basketball school' and are the bell cow of the athletic department.

To me, at such an early point in his tenure here, you would think that the fans would circle the wagons and rally behind the program instead of being another problem to deal with.

52 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No, "most of us" were not underwhelmed by Archie's hiring.

"Most of us" thought that he was/is an up and coming young coach who had the toughness combined with the experience of playing high level ball to be able to relate to kids in a way that Crean never could. 

Has it panned out? TBD. Is it too soon to rush to judgement? IMO, absolutely. 

The IU job is already one of the toughest coaching jobs in the country. Expectations are always high...sometimes unrealistically so. The fanbase is generally knowledgeable. We are a "basketball school' and are the bell cow of the athletic department.

To me, at such an early point in his tenure here, you would think that the fans would circle the wagons and rally behind the program instead of being another problem to deal with.

This is not fair to Miller but the reality is that the fans have been circling the wagons for 19 years now.  Much of the goodwill for the administration has been used up by prior hires.

This is a basketball crazy fanbase that has missed out on the most fun part of college basketball over 50% of the time over the past decade or so.  The problem right now is that there is a real (and fair IMO) feeling that there was no progress from last year to this year.

I also wonder who the next IU president will be.  McRobbie is on his way out and  you have to wonder if the next IU President is someone that would take a more hands on approach to athletics.  Which may or may not be a good thing.  IU ended up with Sampson because of a president that was too hands on in the hire.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Fred Glass seat is HOT.  As far as Trustees go Allen better make a bowl next year and Archie better make the tourney at a minimum or there could be a huge turnover.  Lot of turmoil in the IU athletic department currently and it’s not just the basketball team issues.

With basketball and football continuing to struggle, there is one constant, Glass.  His seat is justifiably hot and I also think another reason many are not wanting to be patient with Archie or Allen.

37 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Fans are tired of losing!

26 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is not fair to Miller but the reality is that the fans have been circling the wagons for 19 years now.  Much of the goodwill for the administration has been used up by prior hires.

This is a basketball crazy fanbase that has missed out on the most fun part of college basketball over 50% of the time over the past decade or so.  The problem right now is that there is a real (and fair IMO) feeling that there was no progress from last year to this year.

Sorry, but fans like you are going to have to get over the 18 years before Archie. He has nothing to do with it.

Archived