Guys we missed on.

rico

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Not to my knowledge, nor Matt Howard.

Howard was actually Sampson's second call (after Gordon). Loved him as a player. Just joined the fray a tad late. Actually if Sampson was hired earlier....that Purdue trio of Johnson, Moore, and Robbie wouldn't happen. Especially the first two. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Howard was actually Sampson's second call (after Gordon). Loved him as a player. Just joined the fray a tad late. Actually if Sampson was hired earlier....that Purdue trio of Johnson, Moore, and Robbie wouldn't happen. Especially the first two. 

So you are telling me that Sampson called Howard after he had already committed to Butler?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Kemp never went to college.  Gifted player.  Dumber than a box of rocks.

It was to fit in cheek but That’s not true.  He went to Kentucky and was accused of stealing players jewelry.  He then went to CC before entering the draft.  He never played but he went.

Many think he lost Mr Basketball in Indiana because he refused to be recruited by Indiana schools.

Kyle Guy, Kris Wilkes, Trey Lyles, Zach Irvin, Gary Harris, Trevon Blueitt, Deshawn Thomas, Bryant McIntosh, Dominic James, Demetrius Jackson, Brandon Dawson, Caleb Swanigan, Jaren Jackson, VJ Beachem, Malik Williams, and Marquis Teague are some from Indiana(and that's just recently)

Going a bit farther back...

Robby Hummel, Greg Oden, Zach Randolph, Sean May,  Mike Conley, Luke Harangody, Gordon Heyward, Matt Howard, Juwan Johnson, Etwan Moore, the other Zeller Brothers and Scott Wood are a few that I remember.

Amazing what could have been the last 20 years with some of those guys on the roster.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Don’t think they would’ve ended up at IU at least not Moore. Moore was more likely to go to Illinois than IU. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think they would’ve ended up at IU at least not Moore. Moore was more likely to go to Illinois than IU. 

Weber turned up the interest only after he was played for the moron he is. Moore didn't like being a backup plan to Gordon once Weber realized Gordon wasn't coming. Weber tried but he couldn't very well cry about what Gordon and family did and ask Moore to do the very same....given Weber's connection to Purdue.

Honestly...he fell into Painter's lap. As did Hummel given his family connections to Illinois. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Weber turned up the interest only after he was played for the moron he is. Moore didn't like being a backup plan to Gordon once Weber realized Gordon wasn't coming. Weber tried but he couldn't very well cry about what Gordon and family did and ask Moore to do the very same....given Weber's connection to Purdue.

Honestly...he fell into Painter's lap. As did Hummel given his family connections to Illinois. 

Fell into his lap is pretty funny. False but funny. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fell into his lap is pretty funny. False but funny. 

Actually not. It's the very few times I know what actually happened. Fell into his lap is being kind. Hummel wanted to be an Illini. So did Moore. Weber was as smooth as sandpaper handling things. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Then I guess Langford fell in IU’s lap?

Nice deflection. Weak and misguided but still wrong. Purdue guys....oh well. Can't ever fix insecurities. For the sake of conversation I'll entertain you. New coach. Players is interested. Much like Gordon would listen to Sampson same with Romeo listening to Archie.

Back on our original point though. Hummel and Moore would never have been Purdue guys if Weber knew how to handle recruiting. Honestly LewJack (Decatur raised) probably wouldn't either. 

10 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Yes he seemed to be challenged even as a pro his stupidity was evident.  You played against him was he as big as he looked from a distance 

Best comparison I can give is Oden.  Kemp was a man when he was a kid, body wise.  Mentally, he was 4.

A duo that made Bob Knight pay in his last years.  Menser and Renn.  Renn would have been just peachy developing on the bench as a frosh and soph.  They beat IU 2 of 3 times they played.  Some give Menser great credit as they should but Renn was a do it all forward that would stuff the stat sheet in rebounds, assists, steals, while leading in scoring as a sophomore and junior before having serious back problems that finally slowed him down.  They won ISU's first tourney game since 1979 in 2001.  

Archived