Iowa was "Not Terribly Disappointing"

53 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

When your head coach says that he "wasn't terribly disappointed" with the effort that led to a home loss against a good but not great team -- there is really only one thing to conclude. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/archie-miller-wasnt-terribly-disappointed-and-your-expectations-should-have-just-been-managed/

All do respect, I completely disagree with your lashing out at the fans for not showing up.  14,000 people coming to watch a team that has A)not put forth good effort at home for most of the New Year B)has lost all but 2 games in 2019 and C)appears to be on it's way to missing the NCAA tournament for the third year in a row is a pretty good crowd, no matter the weather or the fact that the game started at 9 p.m. on a work/school night.

I know that some people are willing to show up, hell or high water, no matter what kind of product that is on the floor.  The reality though is that the last 20 years have taken a major toll on this fanbase.  We have an entire generation that thinks IU basketball is mediocre at best and the results are inarguable.  We are lucky to have the history we have because these type of results over the 2 decades we have had generally result in poor fan support.  From where I sit, the fanbase is the ONLY thing that has kept this job afloat since Knight was fired.  And what really ticks me off is having the media, the administration, etc. saying the fans are "crazy" or share some blame for the product on the floor or the state of the team or program in general.  Without the fans the past 20 years this program is Illinois.  Good every now and then but God awful in between...a washed up has been of a program.  That is the bitter reality.  So instead of ragging on a fanbase that, while annoyed at the complete mishandling of this program by its caretakers over the past 20 years, still shows up to watch a an underachieving team get beaten at home for the 3rd, 4th, 5th? game in a row in front of the home crowd seems a bit misguided.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

All do respect, I completely disagree with your lashing out at the fans for not showing up.  14,000 people coming to watch a team that has A)not put forth good effort at home for most of the New Year B)has lost all but 2 games in 2019 and C)appears to be on it's way to missing the NCAA tournament for the third year in a row is a pretty good crowd, no matter the weather or the fact that the game started at 9 p.m. on a work/school night.

I know that some people are willing to show up, hell or high water, no matter what kind of product that is on the floor.  The reality though is that the last 20 years have taken a major toll on this fanbase.  We have an entire generation that thinks IU basketball is mediocre at best and the results are inarguable.  We are lucky to have the history we have because these type of results over the 2 decades we have had generally result in poor fan support.  From where I sit, the fanbase is the ONLY thing that has kept this job afloat since Knight was fired.  And what really ticks me off is having the media, the administration, etc. saying the fans are "crazy" or share some blame for the product on the floor or the state of the team or program in general.  Without the fans the past 20 years this program is Illinois.  Good every now and then but God awful in between...a washed up has been of a program.  That is the bitter reality.  So instead of ragging on a fanbase that, while annoyed at the complete mishandling of this program by its caretakers over the past 20 years, still shows up to watch a an underachieving team get beaten at home for the 3rd, 4th, 5th? game in a row in front of the home crowd seems a bit misguided.

Very fair points, many of which I agree with.  I think the frustration comes from the fact that the seats have already been sold.  If you are going to buy the seats -- show up.  Especially when this team just busted their as* to pull out an incredible win at Michigan State.  If they had lost that game by 30 like we all thought they would, I would have never said that.  Maybe I'm old school, but if you commit to something -- commit.  This team hasn't quit, why as a fan are people quitting?

If we were working form a blank slate where every ticket had to be sold before every game, then I would agree with you that 14K is a good crowd under the circumstances.  But this game was sold out.  Chuck Crabb said as much.  Those fans just couldn't be bothered to show up against a top 20 team after one of the best wins in the last 10 years.

I was pretty terribly disappointed when I heard these comments.  “Not terribly disappointed” that we squandered all the momentum from the win over MSU and are throwing away our chance to make the tourney?  Where’s the urgency?

The frustrating thing to me is I can already see how this season ends.  I’m going to watch every minute of every game the rest of the season, convincing myself IU still has a chance make the tourney after every win, as we limp to 16-17 wins and the NIT. But I’ve decided to cancel my plans to spend a couple hundred dollars and make the four-hour trip down to Bloomington to see a game this season, so I guess it’s really my fault.

19 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Very fair points, many of which I agree with.  I think the frustration comes from the fact that the seats have already been sold.  If you are going to buy the seats -- show up.  Especially when this team just busted their as* to pull out an incredible win at Michigan State.  If they had lost that game by 30 like we all thought they would, I would have never said that.  Maybe I'm old school, but if you commit to something -- commit.  This team hasn't quit, why as a fan are people quitting?

If we were working form a blank slate where every ticket had to be sold before every game, then I would agree with you that 14K is a good crowd under the circumstances.  But this game was sold out.  Chuck Crabb said as much.  Those fans just couldn't be bothered to show up against a top 20 team after one of the best wins in the last 10 years.

There are two matters: 1) the logical decision fans have the right to make to stay home because this team is not enjoyable to watch for numerous reasons; 2) making the emotional appeal that fans should come watch this team because they bought tickets with their own money and the team busted their ass at Sparty?  Take a look again at your comment about calling the MSU win one of the best in the last 10 years.  THAT is a commentary all its own of the futility of the program, and what it has become.   Premier programs, which we have ceased to be, win a few games like that every year. 

20 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I usually agree with you but I can’t about the fans. Those seats are bought before the season. You lose 7-8 games in a row and lose them not even playing hard in half of them..just not competing you can’t expect fans to come out to those games in bad weather. Any other program (see UCLA) the house would be completely empty after a stretch of bad basketball like IU fans have had to put up with the past several years much less this year. We have great fans and most showed up. I mean 80% is pretty dang full. We see other programs turn out much less...even ones having successful seasons. IU basketball has to give us something to cheer about. MSU was nice but how many fans even cared enough to watch that game after the season had already been p!ssed away. Basketball is entertainment..and getting out for a 9pm game to watch a poor team...can’t blame people for staying home and watching Big Brother lol.

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

There are two matters: 1) the logical decision fans have the right to make to stay home because this team is not enjoyable to watch for numerous reasons; 2) making the emotional appeal that fans should come watch this team because they bought tickets with their own money and the team busted their ass at Sparty?  Take a look again at your comment about calling the MSU win one of the best in the last 10 years.  THAT is a commentary all its own of the futility of the program, and what it has become.   Premier programs, which we have ceased to be, win a few games like that every year. 

There is also that concept of not bailing on your team. Sticking with them through thick and thin.

It’s okay if you choose not to do so, and I imagine that fans that decide to stay home will come back in spades when we do turn the the corner. Human nature, I suppose.

Me. I’ll stick with these guys and see what happens. Life is going to go on regardless. At some point in time we’ll be at the top again and then folks that have turned their backs will hop on the bandwagon again. 

We aren’t premier but we aren’t futile either. I am confident that we will trend closer to being elite in the next few years and really don’t think that getting all upset about where we currently are is worth stressing about 

21 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was pretty terribly disappointed when I heard these comments.  “Not terribly disappointed” that we squandered all the momentum from the win over MSU and are throwing away our chance to make the tourney?  Where’s the urgency?

The frustrating thing to me is I can already see how this season ends.  I’m going to watch every minute of every game the rest of the season, convincing myself IU still has a chance make the tourney after every win, as we limp to 16-17 wins and the NIT. But I’ve decided to cancel my plans to spend a couple hundred dollars and make the four-hour trip down to Bloomington to see a game this season, so I guess it’s really my fault.

I spent over a grand to drive up from South West Louisiana to watch our Hoosiers! At least I was able to witness the best game of the year!

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There is also that concept of not bailing on your team. Sticking with them through thick and thin.

It’s okay if you choose not to do so, and I imagine that fans that decide to stay home will come back in spades when we do turn the the corner. Human nature, I suppose.

Me. I’ll stick with these guys and see what happens. Life is going to go on regardless. At some point in time we’ll be at the top again and then folks that have turned their backs will hop on the bandwagon again. 

We aren’t premier but we aren’t futile either. I am confident that we will trend closer to being elite in the next few years and really don’t think that getting all upset about where we currently are is worth stressing about 

Great post and I think it all comes down to what you look at when you are looking at what you call success.  If all you look at is whether we are winning championships then most years you will be disappointed and think we did not meet your expectations.  Everyone wants to win championships but if that is your only goal you look at you will never be happy.  To me for me to say a season is success is the team competes for the conference and finish in the top 5 most years.  With this you will get a very good seed in the tournament and it puts yourself if good position to compete in the tournament.  In the tournament their are so many variables that can lead to a early departure so I don't look at not winning the national championship as a disappointing season.

23 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Our fanbase is aging.  There is an entire generation that is disinterested due to mediocrity. That's scary.  They've never seen IU succeed at a high level so naturally not as passionate.    

To me that is sad that people can't back your team even if it is no on top because you should be there through the bad as well as the good times.  Like I said a few days ago I think one of the problems is that a lot of students today is not from this area and did not grow up on IU sports.

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In my original post I was not stating my opinion, my post was in response to fan enthusiasm or lack thereof for the Iowa game.  The only personal note included was the part about the importance of win at MSU.  If you’ve ever seen my posts, they have not been negative but pro-patience with team and Archie.  

15 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

So if we are futile program, why did all of these people by season tickets? These games are all sold out.  They were all in at the beginning of the year, and then bailed at the first sign of trouble. 

22 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

So if we are futile program, why did all of these people by season tickets? These games are all sold out.  They were all in at the beginning of the year, and then bailed at the first sign of trouble. 

I really believe it was the start time.  Some of these week night games are just killers for fans traveling from a distance.

42 minutes ago, rico said:

I really believe it was the start time.  Some of these week night games are just killers for fans traveling from a distance.

Bingo. I get to 6-8 games a year and would go to more if I could. However, even if I had been offered free tickets a 9:00 start with a two hour drive there and a two hour drive home puts me home around 1:00-1:30. That is not doable, for me anyway, with a 5:15 alarm going off.  Add weather/road conditions on top of that and it’s a no go for a lot of people. 

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Bingo. I get to 6-8 games a year and would go to more if I could. However, even if I had been offered free tickets a 9:00 start with a two hour drive there and a two hour drive home puts me home around 1:00-1:30. That is not doable, for me anyway, with a 5:15 alarm going off.  Add weather/road conditions on top of that and it’s a no go for a lot of people. 

I would love to see the list of season ticket holders broke down by where they live.  Just to see how far some travel for a week night game.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Why does it need to be to the other extreme?  How about a balanced position?  But to ignore objective results of the last couple decades is counter to discernible results.  

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Pretty sure start times aren’t announced before you buy the tix. That had a big impact imo 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Would you attempt that kind of a night to see a top 15 to 20 type of team?  That is the real question.  I think attendance is reflective of what people expect out of the year.  Those seats would be filled if we were 8-3 heading into the game and in the middle of the Big Ten hunt as opposed to 4-7.  We have a 1 pm start today with potential adverse road conditions.  I bet that will impact attendance because it provides a really easy excuse to eat the price of the ticket.  Had we won earlier this week, this game is more attractive.

Winning is the elixir this program needs more than anything else.

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Would you attempt that kind of a night to see a top 15 to 20 type of team?  That is the real question.  I think attendance is reflective of what people expect out of the year.  Those seats would be filled if we were 8-3 heading into the game and in the middle of the Big Ten hunt as opposed to 4-7.  We have a 1 pm start today with potential adverse road conditions.  I bet that will impact attendance because it provides a really easy excuse to eat the price of the ticket.  Had we won earlier this week, this game is more attractive.

Winning is the elixir this program needs more than anything else.

As much as I would want to, no I would not if I had to work the next day. 

Archived