Iowa was "Not Terribly Disappointing"

On 2/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, IUCrazy2 said:

All do respect, I completely disagree with your lashing out at the fans for not showing up.  14,000 people coming to watch a team that has A)not put forth good effort at home for most of the New Year B)has lost all but 2 games in 2019 and C)appears to be on it's way to missing the NCAA tournament for the third year in a row is a pretty good crowd, no matter the weather or the fact that the game started at 9 p.m. on a work/school night.

I know that some people are willing to show up, hell or high water, no matter what kind of product that is on the floor.  The reality though is that the last 20 years have taken a major toll on this fanbase.  We have an entire generation that thinks IU basketball is mediocre at best and the results are inarguable.  We are lucky to have the history we have because these type of results over the 2 decades we have had generally result in poor fan support.  From where I sit, the fanbase is the ONLY thing that has kept this job afloat since Knight was fired.  And what really ticks me off is having the media, the administration, etc. saying the fans are "crazy" or share some blame for the product on the floor or the state of the team or program in general.  Without the fans the past 20 years this program is Illinois.  Good every now and then but God awful in between...a washed up has been of a program.  That is the bitter reality.  So instead of ragging on a fanbase that, while annoyed at the complete mishandling of this program by its caretakers over the past 20 years, still shows up to watch a an underachieving team get beaten at home for the 3rd, 4th, 5th? game in a row in front of the home crowd seems a bit misguided.

I really wish I could like this 7 times.

Archived