Ohio State Pregame Thread

rbkl

The Hoosiers are back in action on Sunday afternoon after just a short break. Among the remaining games on the schedule, Kenpom has this as the second most probable game to win. He predicts a 68-66 IU victory. Indiana has to bring it all together and get the W if they have any interest in competing in the tournament.

Indiana Hoosiers host the Ohio State Buckeyes - Scouting Report

To be fair, Indiana remained on a few national brackets after the Michigan State win. They could have built up some comfort with a home win against Iowa.

The road is uphill, but making it to the tournament is not out of the picture at all. (Especially considering the back half of the schedule is significantly easier than what they faced in the front half)

28 minutes ago, greg haggard said:

Does IU have the fortitude to win this game?

From where I am looking from, count me as a doubter.

The tournament seems like a pipe dream now!

16 minutes ago, rbkl said:

To be fair, Indiana remained on a few national brackets after the Michigan State win. They could have built up some comfort with a home win against Iowa.

The road is uphill, but making it to the tournament is not out of the picture at all. (Especially considering the back half of the schedule is significantly easier than what they faced in the front half)

Mathematically, yes it's true that NCAAT is possible.  However, the complete meltdown the last 9 games coupled with lack of ability to focus, show some real emotion,  and execute against Iowa at home reemphasized  the improbability and thus my apathy.  

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Tournament is a long shot but still doable. There is no margin for error.

My pessimism must be temporarily broken because I can’t shake the feeling we come out strong and lead wire to wire tomorrow. 

Hey man............thanks..............I really needed to read an optimistic post today, no sarcasm intended.......your post raised my spirit for a moment!

I care less about making the tourney than I do about the team establishing cultural momentum for next year.  If we need next year to build a culture from scratch than I imagine we will have another underwhelming campaign.   I know we are losing our top two players, which often means a step back, but I wonder if our best players make us a better team, or if we might be better overall without them.   I do not mean this as a bash on these guys, it is just that many team's best players do not make the team better.  I think guys like Happ and Edwards drive their team forward. Larry Bird was probably the best ever at making his team better even if he didn't take 20 shots.  Some of our best play this season came without Morgan, and IMO, Langford was not "the man" in his absence.  Honestly, we do not have any 1st team all big ten players.  We need to play with grit, focus and as a team.  I think that is the stamp CAM will eventually put on this program.  High ranked players do not necessarily make high ranked teams.  Our success will be due to guys like Al and Rob.  

8 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I care less about making the tourney than I do about the team establishing cultural momentum for next year.  If we need next year to build a culture from scratch than I imagine we will have another underwhelming campaign.   I know we are losing our top two players, which often means a step back, but I wonder if our best players make us a better team, or if we might be better overall without them.   I do not mean this as a bash on these guys, it is just that many team's best players do not make the team better.  I think guys like Happ and Edwards drive their team forward. Larry Bird was probably the best ever at making his team better even if he didn't take 20 shots.  Some of our best play this season came without Morgan, and IMO, Langford was not "the man" in his absence.  Honestly, we do not have any 1st team all big ten players.  We need to play with grit, focus and as a team.  I think that is the stamp CAM will eventually put on this program.  High ranked players do not necessarily make high ranked teams.  Our success will be due to guys like Al and Rob.  

Very well put! Coming from a former travel softball coach, ....one of my worst teams was the one with the most talent and the worst team chemistry. That only lasted one summer because I gutted it that fall. It was best decision I ever made.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Speaking of OSU does anyone know what Thad Matta is up to these days?  The man has 9 combined B1G tourney and conference titles along with 2 FFs.  He's only 51 too.  Seems like he could be someone's Rick Barnes if given a chance.

Thad's health is the word. 

36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Speaking of OSU does anyone know what Thad Matta is up to these days?  The man has 9 combined B1G tourney and conference titles along with 2 FFs.  He's only 51 too.  Seems like he could be someone's Rick Barnes if given a chance.

On Assembly call yesterday they had Mark Titus a former OSU player there and he says Thad lives In Indy near the Butler campus.

I accept the Iowa loss.  Iowa seems to be playing great ball st the right time of year.  OSU on the other hand is a game this team should win.  This  is at home and it time for IU to act like AH is an advantage.

Juwan needs to stay out of foul trouble

DD just keep doing what you are doing

Get the ball to Romeo when he cuts and moves, no more letting him dribble for 10 seconds and drive into a double team

Justin, keep dunking, you can’t miss bunnies when you dunk them

Good Green needs to show up

Al, keep doing what you do

Let McRoberts rest his body all game and have Fitz keep him company

Get Jake, DA, and CM a few minutes not at the same time to spell everyone else

Archie, show us what you got planned for OSU, you need a win here

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tournament is not a pipe dream.  5-3 to finish the season and 1-1 in the BTT and we are in.  It's not like we have to win out.

Now, if just getting in with a mediocre record is disappointing, I get that.  But, it is still very achievable.

I completely agree. Honestly, as soft as the bubble is we might not need the 1 in the BTT, but we would be sweating. 

You are correct about us not needing to win out, but I really think we need tomorrow’s game to get our five  

This season has been disappointing, but that would take some of the sting to hear our name called. 

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tournament is not a pipe dream.  5-3 to finish the season and 1-1 in the BTT and we are in.  It's not like we have to win out.

Now, if just getting in with a mediocre record is disappointing, I get that.  But, it is still very achievable.

5-3 with 3 games on the road and 3 other games against ranked teams seems like a pipe dream when we’re 1-8 over the last 9... But you’re right, it should be doable.  Have to get back to protecting home court.

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

When: Sunday, 2/10 at 1pm ET on CBS

Vegas: TBD

KenPom: #34 OSU vs #45 IU. 57% chance of IU victory with an expected score of IU 68, OSU 66

ESPN: #32 OSU vs #43 IU. 63% chance of IU victory with an expected margin of IU +4

IU Scouting Report

image.png.3331fe27d70b0e2269d6f4b1997a833a.png

OSU Scouting Report

image.png.92d4ecd6c54f0a53fcbf1410fa0dd127.png

The difference in this one will be which team defends the free throw line better. We're leading the B1G with our vaunted free throw defense, and OSU is 12th allowing opponents to shoot almost 12% better than we do.  OSU really needs to get a hand up in the FT shooter's face.

Archived