State of the Program

On 2/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, The Daily Hoosier said:
It's Indiana Football, and thus it has to come with caution, but this appears to be a moment when the conditions are right for the program to take a step forward.

Don't worry......I am use to those asterisks.

Top 10 reasons IU fans are excited for football season to start...

10. DeBoer

9. Seeing a new QB with a big arm

8. Seeing who emerges out of our RBs to get the most yards

7. More experienced defense

6. Our special teams can't possibly be worse

5. Seeing what our incoming freshman can bring

4. We don't have DeBord anymore

3. Allen giving up defense and being able to oversee the whole team, staff, and in game scenarios

2. Hopefully returning to a bowl

and the number 1 reason IU fans are excited for football season

1. Indiana basketball is over by then

27 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

10. DeBoer

3. Allen giving up defense and being able to oversee the whole team, staff, and in game scenarios

Some might argue that 1. has already happened. 😣

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

10. DeBoer

#11?  Hopefully having a chance to see the Spring Game for the first time in two years.

#12? Having the current odd #'ed year home match-ups with Michigan and Ohio State, as well as IU's first ever trip to Lincoln, Nebraska since the Huskers joined the B1G among specific games to look forward to on the schedule.  Segues into the next thing: 

13? Seeing if this is the year IU FINALLY ends notably long losing streaks to the Buckeyes and Wolverines.  

#14  Seeing what role(s) Reese Taylor will play for IU in 2019. - for me personally. 

7 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

#14  Seeing what role(s) Reese Taylor will play for IU in 2019. - for me personally. 

I really hope that we use him more creatively than last year.  I think with a new OC, a healthy Whop, and 3 solid QBs, Taylor could be in store for a breakout season.  We won't need to hold him back for fear of injury.  And, I think we have a new weapon that could be a replacement or compliment to Whop and Taylor, and could be the missing piece we've long needed on kickoffs...

#17...Da'shaun Brown

• 3 weeks later...

All I want is for Taylor to have a fair chance to determine his own outcome on the field, using as much of his skillset to the fullest -in any manner possible that addresses team needs. 

Time in the program and as a DB last season helps but on the field,  it could be another year of adjustment for Taylor.The quality of talent a player is familiar with facing in practice matters in games too. It is an undeniable advantage in a DBs development having the luxury of practicing against experienced, All-B1G caliber WRs 

So, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor makes an impact right away if he can play his way into the 2 deep..That would be proving something to some degree for a guy switching positions.Best case is it goes as well as Chris Covington returning to LB a few years ago- .or better.

• 1 month later...

I think no names on jerseys was something that was better in theory than in practice.  I like the whole idea of one team, and playing for the name on the front, etc., but it just doesn't translate great to IU football.  I think it's ok for ND, PSU, and some other big name programs.  They have more exposure, a more passionate fanbase, and more tradition.  It is expected at those places, so people know that they need to learn the numbers.  IU fans just aren't going to put in the effort needed for that.

Archived