Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

My last post for a few hours guys. I've got to get back to studying for my lab practicals and pharmacology exams but if you think the problem is the players I would disagree. Archie has managed to make one of the most prolific scorers in high school basketball history look underwhelming. Archie has an all big ten stretch 5 in Morgan, an athletic 4, a pass first point guard, a 40% 3 point shooter at the 2 guard, a 40% plus stretch 5 grad transfer off the bench, and a dynamic combo guard as a back up guard and we can't score 50 a game....let that sink in.

To be honest, I think Romeo is doing that himself.  

15 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Duke should have fired Coach K in year 3 too right?

I'm not saying it's wrong but this is horrible thinking. No, Duke shouldn't have fired Coach K after year 3, but you are making the assumption that CAM is in fact Mike Krzyzewski therefore it would be a mistake to fire Archie Miller because of what K did at Duke.  It doesn't work that way. The correct way to look at this is how many coaches in D1 basketball didn't workout after the first 2-3 years. Archie isn't getting fired. We all know that, but the constant comparisons to what Duke did early with Krzyzewski or what Villanova did early with Wright is dishonest. None of these decisions are being made in a vacuum.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

both because I don't see us having much talent.  I see players who maybe athletic gifted but not having quality basketball talent

I don’t think we have a ton of talent either.  I do however think we have more than Northwestern, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Ohio State whom we all lost to.  

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If this team has “no talent,” then how the hell did it beat Marquette, Louisville, and MSU?

There is talent on this team but no basketball IQ. They are not good shooters, not physical, not mentally tough and not fundamentally sound. In many ways we are trying to mix oil and water to form a team and it just isn't working. Both the coaching staff and the players share the responsibility. 

We just aren't a fan base that deals with losing well.  Over the past 25 years, we probably are not a top 25 program.  How does a program keep their membership card to the "blue blood" club if there are 25 programs that have a better run over the past quarter century?  None of us like what we see, or have seen for years.  I think we all agree that CAM is expected to coach a team that produces quality outcomes, and he has not.  The split in the fan base is not based on results, but whether Archie can achieve the expected results.  None of us know, we just don't. Just like I can't say definitively that CAM will fix things, no one can definitively say he won't.  It is painful to stick with a coach if you don't believe he can fix it, and it is also painful to think about dumping someone who may be the savior just to start over and find ourselves in the same sad position with a new guy.  Those who want CAM gone may be right.  Those who want to give him time to build his team may be right.  At some point, part of the fan base will be able to puff out their chest and say "I knew it, and I was right."  Which group of fans will it be?  Nobody knows, so let's just all agree that this sucks right now.  Of course, debating is the point of these forums.

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Well what the heck do we do now? 

Wait.  Wait and pray that our eyes are lying to us or that it is really just a player personality/coaching conflict that can start to be resolved with an amicable parting of ways at seasons end.  I really do not want to be doing a coaching search again, so I am hoping for the best.  If we get more of the same next year though, we really need to question whether we should cut bait...and if we have to cut bait, I think we end up with a name that most of us have not super familiar with.

Don't forget swimming/diving season. IU has 2 top 10 teams. Likely multiple NCAA champions, a few olympians, and a WRDon't forget swimming season. IU has 2 top 10 teams. Likely multiple NCAA champions, a few olympians, and a WR holder. 

But, yes, this season had been quite predictable. 

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Get ready for baseball season.

Edit: not sure why my font changed. 

This board is in melt down mode, and rightfully so.  Its not the loss. I’m over it and most here are I’m sure.  It wasn’t meaningful like the Syracuse loss   

It would be sad if the fan base didn’t have injured pride about the state of the program.  It would certainly be worse if people weren’t concerned after the debacle we’ve seen for 5-6 weeks.  

I’m afraid the next step is apathy, though.  

I haven't given up on the program, but I could care less if this team wins a single game from here on out. They're terrible and the coaching staff is obviously not doing anything to correct whatever is going on. That said, I still will watch every game because as a fan of watching train wrecks come to their logical conclusion, I have a vested interest. 

2 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Don't forget swimming/diving season. IU has 2 top 10 teams. Likely multiple NCAA champions, a few olympians, and a WRDon't forget swimming season. IU has 2 top 10 teams. Likely multiple NCAA champions, a few olympians, and a WR holder. 

But, yes, this season had been quite predictable. 

Well I'm excited......😉

37 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I respect your opinion, but,...IMO, I totally disagree! Yes, "Crean's" kids have been with Archie for 2 years now, but it does not mean that those kids are going to be the right fit for offense and defense. That also doesn't mean they are all going to automatically buy in either.  Yes, this team is a dumpster fire right now and probably done for the year. It really pains me, but sometimes things get worse before they get better.

Thanks for the perspective and I hope you’re right on this one....

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This board is in melt down mode, and rightfully so.  Its not the loss. I’m over it and most here are I’m sure.  It wasn’t meaningful like the Syracuse loss   

It would be sad if the fan base didn’t have injured pride about the state of the program.  It would certainly be worse if people weren’t concerned after the debacle we’ve seen for 5-6 weeks.  

I’m afraid the next step is apathy, though.  

Bob I think it has already happened. My 87 year old mother in law has quit watching this debacle...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is time to go ahead and offer Leal and get players like Morton and brown who know how to play the game instead of players who try to get by on their athletic ability.

I agree on Leal and hopefully Galloway if they can stomach the dumpster fire train wreck that we call an offense!!! No way morton comes here over Michigan unless he is blind or believes the stuff that is being peddled. Why would Brooks come here because he is a hoosier fan to funny he wants to make it in the NBA. Not much player development going on here. Just my honest opinion 

7 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

We just aren't a fan base that deals with losing well.  Over the past 25 years, we probably are not a top 25 program.  How does a program keep their membership card to the "blue blood" club if there are 25 programs that have a better run over the past quarter century?  None of us like what we see, or have seen for years.  I think we all agree that CAM is expected to coach a team that produces quality outcomes, and he has not.  The split in the fan base is not based on results, but whether Archie can achieve the expected results.  None of us know, we just don't. Just like I can't say definitively that CAM will fix things, no one can definitively say he won't.  It is painful to stick with a coach if you don't believe he can fix it, and it is also painful to think about dumping someone who may be the savior just to start over and find ourselves in the same sad position with a new guy.  Those who want CAM gone may be right.  Those who want to give him time to build his team may be right.  At some point, part of the fan base will be able to puff out their chest and say "I knew it, and I was right."  Which group of fans will it be?  Nobody knows, so let's just all agree that this sucks right now.  Of course, debating is the point of these forums.

This probably the post we all need to see but don’t want to believe. 

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The Marquette and L'ville games seem so long ago. I would imagine it safe to say the outcomes would be very different if they played again.

As for MSU? They beat themselves with bad FT shooting.

Louisville did lose to Pitt at some point too, so they are capable of sucking

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

There is talent on this team but no basketball IQ. They are not good shooters, not physical, not mentally tough and not fundamentally sound. In many ways we are trying to mix oil and water to form a team and it just isn't working. Both the coaching staff and the players share the responsibility. 

This is a fair take.  The players definitely bear a large portion of the blame as well.  But there is more than enough talent on this team for an elite coach to win with.  Archie obviously isn’t there yet, hopefully he can get there before it’s too late.

Archived