Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I agree on Leal and hopefully Galloway if they can stomach the dumpster fire train wreck that we call an offense!!! No way morton comes here over Michigan unless he is blind or believes the stuff that is being peddled. Why would Brooks come here because he is a hoosier fan to funny he wants to make it in the NBA. Not much player development going on here. Just my honest opinion 

You never know.  That Edwards kid is supposedly committing to the Clapper tomorrow.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I'm not saying it's wrong but this is horrible thinking. No, Duke shouldn't have fired Coach K after year 3, but you are making the assumption that CAM is in fact Mike Krzyzewski therefore it would be a mistake to fire Archie Miller because of what K did at Duke.  It doesn't work that way. The correct way to look at this is how many coaches in D1 basketball didn't workout after the first 2-3 years. Archie isn't getting fired. We all know that, but the constant comparisons to what Duke did early with Krzyzewski or what Villanova did early with Wright is dishonest. None of these decisions are being made in a vacuum.

It's not dishonest, it's the obvious idea that you could pull the trigger too soon on someone who is in the process of building something great, because of impatience. Everything you said is nonsense, this is basketball, not physics.

Maybe Tony Bennett is a better analogy for you?  Does that take the decision out of the vacuum?

Honest question - what, exactly, is the offensive philosophy/strategy that this coaching staff is trying to employ? Aside from a few points scored on run-outs after a missed shot on the other end, the half-court offense is a joke. All I see is a three-man weave at the top of the key, with someone hoping that a seam opens up for a drive or dump-off to Juwan. But opposing teams know our outside shooting sucks, so they just clog the lane, which usually ends up with a turnover or someone driving into a double or triple team situation. It's really ugly to watch. 

Public warning for everyone to make sure you keep it clean in here!  I've seen a few posts that come close to the line in this thread and other places.  We'll start handing out warning points if necessary.

Frustrating game -- I was in the game thread right there with you all -- but we're all Hoosiers here and we will be tomorrow, too.

40 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

There’s only one answer in my mind.

It’s  the coach or it’s the players.

I just can’t figure out which it is.  

I don’t believe it’s both. A good coach should have a good product on the floor.

Good teams with 2 big impact players like Morgan and Langford should win these games. 

Time will tell!

Lol.  During the game I was thinking : "We're so bad I don't know who to blame!"

A great coach can win with average players.  Great players can make a bad coach look good.  All I am certain of is that the current combination of players and coaches just ain't gettin' it done.

Had the chance to see this game at AH and Al was waiting on me to use the buffalouies bathroom after me, hood up head down. I told him he gave a nice try and he nodded and never looked me in the eye. Looked upset to be recognized at all. 

Just the cherry on top for one of the most pathetic performances I've seen. Our players are totally dejected and we have a coach who cant do anything to fix any of our problems. Just wonder where our true rock bottom is. It seems a ways further down

15 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I haven't given up on the program, but I could care less if this team wins a single game from here on out. They're terrible and the coaching staff is obviously not doing anything to correct whatever is going on. That said, I still will watch every game because as a fan of watching train wrecks come to their logical conclusion, I have a vested interest. 

Too bad We couldn’t win a good draft pick for this tanking job we are doing! 😥

I’m probably going to get killed on this board for saying the because of who Archie brought in this year but I think we do need to take a wait and see approach. Every body is saying well look at last year and how great holtman did which is true but look at him this year not a great team. You can even point to Mack at Louisville and say what a great job he’s doing but can he sustain it? What will his team look like next year? Yes this year has been tough but I think it also showed how flawed this team really is and has been we just didn’t know it because of the Romeo effect. I mean holtman I believe has a top ten class for next year and every one is excited for what he’s going to possibly do next year even with the tough year they are having. I think we just have to wait and see what a team full of players Archie actually recruited can do then we can really start to pass judgement. Just my two cents. They usually don’t mean much anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Hey Mods can somebody unlike "The next win" thread or should we start a new one?  

7 games left.  I see one win.  Yep Rutgers and that one is not a gimme.  Anyone else see anything different?  Convince me I'm wrong.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Somehow if that one win is Purdue, there will be a tiny bit of satisfaction. 

9 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

It's not dishonest, it's the obvious idea that you could pull the trigger too soon on someone who is in the process of building something great, because of impatience. Everything you said is nonsense, this is basketball, not physics.

I am tired of some talking about Duke.  The made it to the Elite Eight the year before K got there.  He didn't invent the wheel.  Their former coach left.......now hear me out, HE WASN'T fired.....

I hope this season doesn’t parallel year three of Crean’s regime.  Crean was rightfully given a free pass for two years, but in year three he had legitimate players.  They may have been young but couldn’t beat anybody. You might say they regressed.  

This team is similarly underachieving. There aren’t many league games easier than today’s on paper, and they couldn’t do it.  It’s not just W’s and L’s.  The team isn’t clicking or playing well.  It’s one thing to lose despite playing well or at least progressing.  This team isn’t gelling or coming on.  It’s been disjointed if not outright regression.  

There may be a cautionary flag out there, but I’d say at this point, there is not enough data about Archie’s ability.  For example, I can’t stand the fact that a guy like Justin Smith plays 30 minutes a game.  He’s a good athlete and can be helpful if he channels himself properly.  But, unless he changes, he’s not an IU type of player. He is a slow learner as far as low basketball IQ, and is outright lazy frequently.  Archie is permissive with this.  I’m giving Archie the benefit of the doubt that he doesn’t feel like he has a choice.  Because, if Archie freely believes he’s doing the right thing in this regard, well now I’m going to lose confidence.  We will just have to wait and see if that’s who Archie is or if his hands are tied.   If Justin plays hard, doesn’t try to do too much, and scores on quick cuts to the basket, he can be valuable. Whether he wants to ever be that player, I can’t answer. 

As another point, there are times where Romeo drives and three guys collapse on him, yet we don’t see a kick out.  Maybe Archie feels like he doesn’t have the shooters.  And as far as scoring threes, I hope Archie prioritizes it properly. The data may be concerning but hopefully, again, his hands are just tied and he actually gets it.

Crean used to recruit to physical potential, but mainly to the offensive end.  Archie may be constrained by that. The roster is short on experience, especially with high motor, high IQ, team players.  

Archie says the right things.  Hopefully he will focus his player moves on motor, attitude, team play, and develop complementary players (guys who can defend different positions, and complementary offensive players who can handle different levels of scoring, i.e., post, slashers, long range bombers). Archie says he wants all that but his roster has almost none of it, at least with experience.  Archie may be best when he has class balance and has more veteran presence of guys who have motors and are all about winning.  He’s going to need time to get that installed.  But, this season is the first cautionary flag that may end up looking like a flashing red light if we are struggling in the spring of 2021. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

RP, AD, and DD...can’t tell about the bench yet...Romeo and Juwan have underwhelmed me honestly...they are just as much of the problem as Green or others...they play lazy uninspired sometimes too.

I feel the same way.  I sometimes feel like people don't want to critique Romeo simply because he's Romeo, but he made some really poor decisions at the end of the game, and he frequently forces drives and shots where he should pass it back out.  His lack of a consistent three point shot has been brutally exposed in the big ten, and it's almost entirely taken his ability to drive away.  He's slowly getting better from three, but teams are still packing it in against him so he has to force a good number of his shots.

Juwan also forces, but he usually finishes those shots better.  If you're looking for a chemistry issue, it's my opinion that this dynamic is at least a contributing factor.  I'm not saying it justifies other players' feelings and attitudes to Morgan and Langford, but I know that even playing town league basketball in high school, I got pretty sick of watching the best player on our team continually force his way into three defenders and chuck up a prayer while at least three of us were wide open.

I also think IU has talent, but it doesn't have a good roster.  We don't have the balance other teams have, and I think we have a bad mix of players who signed up for different styles of play.  We are also significantly undersized/young in the frontcourt, and Morgan has played out of position all year.  And let's not even get into the fact that we have no reliable shooting.  I'm not even just saying threes, but twos as well.  People are lambasting the offense, but I see a good number of open shots every game that just don't go in or aren't even taken. Phinisee had several open threes today he passed up for example.

So in short, at least on offense, we have our two best players forcing it up in traffic too much, and when they do kick it out, players either pass up open shots or have issues consistently hitting shots.  It's pretty hard to win with that combination, and it's not hard to see why chemistry issues are probably happening.  I think there's blame to go around the whole team and staff.

IU fans also don't give enough credence to how different Miller and Crean are.  They and their styles of play are polar opposites, and I think the problems IU has in this area were greatly exacerbated by the continuous injury situation IU has been saddled with.  It's not really all that shocking to me to see IU play good defense for a stretch and then revert to what they were under Crean.   I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, either, but another effect the injury situation has had is that it's hard to instill and reinforce a new system and culture when you can barely practice 5 on 5.

I'm not saying Miller is above reproach or doesn't deserve some criticism, but I still think he's going to be a very good coach.  Right now, the circumstances are not in his favor, but I see that changing in the next couple years.  His Dayton teams looked a lot different than what we have seen so far, and it's not like he suddenly became a bad coach.

I do get why people are frustrated, though.  It's hard watching your favorite team who used to be one of the best struggle for so many years to get back to that, and patience is wearing thin, but most good coaches struggled at their respective programs until they were able to establish at least 2-3 recruiting classes that then established their systems and culture.

I honestly think the only way Miller truly solves the issues with this team at this point is through off-season roster management and bringing in kids who are going to buy in to his system.  

We can argue back and forth about if Arch is or is not the guy..  but I can tell you right now. nothing short of Jesus himself coaching this team will produce a high scoring offense.   We literally can not shoot!  I dont agree with everything Arch is doing. But my lord, when a team cant shoot,  its severely limited.  Streaky is what we are.  a big brown streak of bad shooting

8 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Had the chance to see this game at AH and Al was waiting on me to use the buffalouies bathroom after me, hood up head down. I told him he gave a nice try and he nodded and never looked me in the eye. Looked upset to be recognized at all. 

Just the cherry on top for one of the most pathetic performances I've seen. Our players are totally dejected and we have a coach who cant do anything to fix any of our problems. Just wonder where our true rock bottom is. It seems a ways further down

That sounds accurate. Al seems to have some fire. That is why most seem to like him, myself included. 

Archived