Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

We're all just tired of excuses and we're tired of losing.  It's downright comical how bad our administration is at making hires.  Once again we could have hired Aragorn or Gandalf but instead we hired Pippin.

I don't understand the wizard specific details here, but agree with the premise.  

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

We can argue back and forth about if Arch is or is not the guy..  but I can tell you right now. nothing short of Jesus himself coaching this team will produce a high scoring offense.   We literally can not shoot!  I dont agree with everything Arch is doing. But my lord, when a team cant shoot,  its severely limited.  Streaky is what we are.  a big brown streak of bad shooting

I have actually heard that Jesus would not feature the 3 point shot either, if he were coach.  He considers it a sign of greed and feels it displays a lack of humility.  :coffee:

57 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I'm not saying it's wrong but this is horrible thinking. No, Duke shouldn't have fired Coach K after year 3, but you are making the assumption that CAM is in fact Mike Krzyzewski therefore it would be a mistake to fire Archie Miller because of what K did at Duke.  It doesn't work that way. The correct way to look at this is how many coaches in D1 basketball didn't workout after the first 2-3 years. Archie isn't getting fired. We all know that, but the constant comparisons to what Duke did early with Krzyzewski or what Villanova did early with Wright is dishonest. None of these decisions are being made in a vacuum.

With that theory Duke had no idea that Coach K would turn out to be what he is after his first three years either so they were patient and it turned out well.  Not saying Archie will turn out well but two years is not long enough to determine that.

Not saying this could be the reason for bad play but we really don't know what is going behind the scenes with ay team.  I just go back to watching the journey a few weeks ago and the story about Ward at MSU.  Last year he went through a horrible stretch where he did not play well and he was getting ripped by the fans and media.  To find out he was having family problems with his mom being really sick and had to have serious surgery.  Ward kept driving from the MSU campus to his home in Columbus nd this was what was causing his bad play.  Not saying this is what is happening with this team but we really ever no what is going on with these players lives.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying this could be the reason for bad play but we really don't know what is going behind the scenes with ay team.  I just go back to watching the journey a few weeks ago and the story about Ward at MSU.  Last year he went through a horrible stretch where he did not play well and he was getting ripped by the fans and media.  To find out he was having family problems with his mom being really sick and had to have serious surgery.  Ward kept driving from the MSU campus to his home in Columbus nd this was what was causing his bad play.  Not saying this is what is happening with this team but we really ever no what is going on with these players lives.

This

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Despite all that was going on with Ward, Michigan State found a way to grind out a 30-5 record last season, including a 16-2 league mark.  :coffee:

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me this is the most embarrassing and disgraceful IU team in my lifetime.  Right now I wouldn't care if we totally cleaned hose and started over from the top to bottom.  Like I said if we fired the coach we will not get any top coaching candidates but if they want to do that the fine.

Wow! I have not been on the boards at all today...did not expect this to be the first comment in the postgame thread. Change of heart I see...

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hope this season doesn’t parallel year three of Crean’s regime.  Crean was rightfully given a free pass for two years, but in year three he had legitimate players.  They may have been young but couldn’t beat anybody. You might say they regressed.  

This team is similarly underachieving. There aren’t many league games easier than today’s on paper, and they couldn’t do it.  It’s not just W’s and L’s.  The team isn’t clicking or playing well.  It’s one thing to lose despite playing well or at least progressing.  This team isn’t gelling or coming on.  It’s been disjointed if not outright regression.  

There may be a cautionary flag out there, but I’d say at this point, there is not enough data about Archie’s ability.  For example, I can’t stand the fact that a guy like Justin Smith plays 30 minutes a game.  He’s a good athlete and can be helpful if he channels himself properly.  But, unless he changes, he’s not an IU type of player. He is a slow learner as far as low basketball IQ, and is outright lazy frequently.  Archie is permissive with this.  I’m giving Archie the benefit of the doubt that he doesn’t feel like he has a choice.  Because, if Archie freely believes he’s doing the right thing in this regard, well now I’m going to lose confidence.  We will just have to wait and see if that’s who Archie is or if his hands are tied.   If Justin plays hard, doesn’t try to do too much, and scores on quick cuts to the basket, he can be valuable. Whether he wants to ever be that player, I can’t answer. 

As another point, there are times where Romeo drives and three guys collapse on him, yet we don’t see a kick out.  Maybe Archie feels like he doesn’t have the shooters.  And as far as scoring threes, I hope Archie prioritizes it properly. The data may be concerning but hopefully, again, his hands are just tied and he actually gets it.

Crean used to recruit to physical potential, but mainly to the offensive end.  Archie may be constrained by that. The roster is short on experience, especially with high motor, high IQ, team players.  

Archie says the right things.  Hopefully he will focus his player moves on motor, attitude, team play, and develop complementary players (guys who can defend different positions, and complementary offensive players who can handle different levels of scoring, i.e., post, slashers, long range bombers). Archie says he wants all that but his roster has almost none of it, at least with experience.  Archie may be best when he has class balance and has more veteran presence of guys who have motors and are all about winning.  He’s going to need time to get that installed.  But, this season is the first cautionary flag that may end up looking like a flashing red light if we are struggling in the spring of 2021. 

What choice does Archie have? I suppose we could try playing 4 guards, but man that seems like a bad idea. Short of that we have to play Smith 30 minutes. Davis is lucky if he can play 20. Morgan can get 30. Someone has to eat up the other 30. Let's not pretend that Forester is ready for big minutes. Most 150th ranked big men are not ready to play their freshman year: he is no exception. 

We can't shoot and we have severely limited options down low. That's not a roster that can easily win. 

Not giving up on this team because we have an opportunity to beat a handful of ranked teams and still make the tourney. 

I know we all aren't happy with Coach Miller right now but the reality is good luck recruiting/keeping kids that can change the future like TJD & KBJ when they feel like everyone is bashing the staff constantly. We can talk about another coaching hire we could have made till the cows come home but he's the guy we hired and we aren't getting anyone better anytime soon.

As for this team, IMO it's a combo of bad coaching and lack of talent. We need to stop spending the first 15 seconds of our offensive possessions weaving the ball around. We've become so stagnant on offense because of it and we force up bad shots late in possessions as a result. We need to space the floor more because Phinisee, Durham, Langford can all finish at the rim when it's not so congested. 

However, in Archie's defense, he can't do anything about Langford missing his opportunity to prove why he's a lottery pick at the end of the game, Smith airballs 5 FT jumpers and dribbles the ball off his foot, Fitz gets stuffed by a smaller player at the rim because he refuses to utilize his 6'11 frame, JMO couldn't hit wide open 3's to save his life, etc.

Most of these winnable games come down to us not being able to hit open jumpers vs our opponents hitting fadeaway 3's from halfcourt with a second on the shot clock. These kids need to get in the gym more and work on their shooting because the opportunity to become that consistent 3rd scoring option is there for anyone ready to seize it.

Archived