Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

We're all just tired of excuses and we're tired of losing.  It's downright comical how bad our administration is at making hires.  Once again we could have hired Aragorn or Gandalf but instead we hired Pippin.

Genuinely curious, what names could we have definitely gotten instead of Archie?

First- the premise that CAM couldn’t call a good play at the end of the game, but Holtmann did, is bogus. That wasn’t a called play. Smith went up to double on the bigger Wesson because he thought the  ball was going there. Smaller Wesson read that, slipped down and scored. It wasn’t a set play but instead a guy making the correct read and reacting to what was given to him. Not a coach making a good call. More, a kid having good BB IQ.

Second- one 5 second occurrence in this game told me everything I need to know about the problems facing this team. Green had just thrown up a horrendous 3 point shot that I think was an airball. Morgan, who should be the on court leader of this team came up to Green and kinda patted him on the head and from my observation, told him that it was okay. No getting in his face with a “what the hell” kind of attitude. As been said many times on here, and this just illustrated it perfectly, we have a bunch of nice kids, but no one who will challenge, no one who will ruffle feathers to get teammates to wake up and play harder. At some point CAM was tuned out by these guys and unfortunately we don’t have a leader in the lineup to be that guy.

Finally, this board has become just as bad as some of the others with all the snark and disrespect. Stayed off the game thread because it just becomes an ongoing ripping of players and coaches. This will be my only post here for the same reason. Pretty soon, this board should just merge with Peegs because the way it’s trending, there will be no discernible difference.

Any discussion of the talent or lack thereof on this roster needs to acknowledge that we're viewing said talent after coming up on two years of Archie and staff coaching and developing those players. I'm not happy with the inconsistent production we've received from Justin either. But he's a top 100 recruit and Archie is the only coach he's ever had at the college level. Talent isn't a static thing. It can be developed over time. If you don't trust most of the players on this roster, damn near two years in, that's not a reason to give the coach and staff a pass.

7 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I think the merge you are seeing with what the Peegs board looks like is the reality that we are just losing at such a high clip right now for there to be anything else to say. I guess you could say nothing, but then the board just ceases to exist. 

Would be better than some of the stuff posted on here 

3 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I think the merge you are seeing with what the Peegs board looks like is the reality that we are just losing at such a high clip right now for there to be anything else to say. I guess you could say nothing, but then the board just ceases to exist. 

I would think Peegs would be a better board for the coaching staff apologists right now.  The consensus among Rabjohns, Snow, and their minions is that IU’s roster is so bad that anyone who expects the team to win another game this season is a braindead moron.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

With that theory Duke had no idea that Coach K would turn out to be what he is after his first three years either so they were patient and it turned out well.  Not saying Archie will turn out well but two years is not long enough to determine that.

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with that. 2 years isn't enough. The problem is that the patience mantra is thin. IU basketball hasn't been relevant outside of the 2002 run since 1994. That's closing in on 30 years. We are 1-9 in our last 10 including a 7-game losing streak. We've lost our last 4 home games. If Michigan St. didn't have a horrific time shooting FT then we'd be 0-10 in our last 10. Patience was wearing thin 15 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would think Peegs would be a better board for the coaching staff apologists right now.  The consensus among Rabjohns, Snow, and their minions is that IU’s roster is so bad that anyone who expects the team to win another game this season is a braindead moron.

Will the team win another game this season? I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

That’s 5 players, so how many off of Nwestern, Rutgers, and Nebraska combined would replace those guys?  Roby is the only one I can think of.

If I could build a team by combining IU’s roster with each of those teams’ rosters you mentioned, the starting lineups would go like...

IU-Nebraska: Three of Nebraska’s starters, two from IU

Watson

Langford

Palmer

Morgan

Roby

Note: Copeland and Allen from Nebraska would probably be the first two off the bench (yes, ahead of Phinisee, Smith or Durham)

IU-Northwestern: 3 from NW, 2 from IU

Law

Langford

Taylor

Morgan

Parsons

Note: I’m a big Phinisee fan, but he’s not ready yet to be leading a top half Big Ten team, so I’m basically going with no point guard here. 

IU-Rutgers: 3 from IU, 2 from Rutgers

Baker

Langford

Durham

Morgan

Omoyuri (sp?)

Note: Only picked Durham because I had too pick someone. Not that I don’t like Durham, I really do, but as a sophomore he’s not a starter on a really good Big Ten team. 

59 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That is Houston not IU.  And KS is a proven commodity unlike Archie.  He gets the benefit of the doubt.

If Kelvin was such a great coach he should have been able to turn Houston around quicker.  Also Houston plays in a terrible conference so it should take less time to win that conference.

18 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with that. 2 years isn't enough. The problem is that the patience mantra is thin. IU basketball hasn't been relevant outside of the 2002 run since 1994. That's closing in on 30 years. We are 1-9 in our last 10 including a 7-game losing streak. We've lost our last 4 home games. If Michigan St. didn't have a horrific time shooting FT then we'd be 0-10 in our last 10. Patience was wearing thin 15 years ago. 

So, patience is wearing thin. So what?

Davis created his own legacy of being over his head during his tenure.

Sampson only took 2 years to fill the program with kids who had no reason being in college and valued partying over being a “student athlete.”

Crean was given 7 years to show that he wasn’t the guy to take IU where this fan base wants.

Archie has been here a year and a half. Not his fault what went on the previous 15.   Give him some time to earn respect or not based on what he does, not on what the 3 previous guys  failed to do 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

730672772_ScreenShot2019-02-10at6_12_32PM.png.e16590c89e9254142d5c1e30061159a7.png

Also, another prime example of why our season is where it is at. Only one kid on the roster putting in extra effort, smh.

I would reward that kind of effort.  I think this year is over so I would be fine with finishing this year with an eye towards next year.  If there are guys who are not going to be a part of the future then I would like to see their minutes diminished so that guys who are part of future plans get some more time.

If we are going to lose anyway, I want a kid like Forrester to get minutes.

33 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First- the premise that CAM couldn’t call a good play at the end of the game, but Holtmann did, is bogus. That wasn’t a called play. Smith went up to double on the bigger Wesson because he thought the  ball was going there. Smaller Wesson read that, slipped down and scored. It wasn’t a set play but instead a guy making the correct read and reacting to what was given to him. Not a coach making a good call. More, a kid having good BB IQ.

Second- one 5 second occurrence in this game told me everything I need to know about the problems facing this team. Green had just thrown up a horrendous 3 point shot that I think was an airball. Morgan, who should be the on court leader of this team came up to Green and kinda patted him on the head and from my observation, told him that it was okay. No getting in his face with a “what the hell” kind of attitude. As been said many times on here, and this just illustrated it perfectly, we have a bunch of nice kids, but no one who will challenge, no one who will ruffle feathers to get teammates to wake up and play harder. At some point CAM was tuned out by these guys and unfortunately we don’t have a leader in the lineup to be that guy.

Finally, this board has become just as bad as some of the others with all the snark and disrespect. Stayed off the game thread because it just becomes an ongoing ripping of players and coaches. This will be my only post here for the same reason. Pretty soon, this board should just merge with Peegs because the way it’s trending, there will be no discernible difference.

Steubenhoosier, I just created an account because this was going through my head as you were typing that.  Have been lurking forever, and had to sign up to quote your comment.  Where is the player on the court that holds others accountable for poor plays?  Where is the fiery role player that gets everyone to sack up and play in the midst of a 10-20 point run?  When we tied the game up late and needed a defensive stand, where was our guy at the top of the key slapping the floor as they brought the ball up the floor? (Not a huge fan of that move, but i like the emotion involved). It seems to be non-existent with this team. Where is this teams AJ Moye?  Thanks for this forum by the way, most enjoyable by far to lurk at. 

Archived