Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

10 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

I have wanted to weigh in, but I honestly don’t have any thing positive to say. I have seen a lot of criticism of Romeo out there on the internet, some of it fair, but I can’t help to wonder where this team would be without him. One positive- 40% from 3 last 4 ballgames for Romeo. D Davis playing well, besides his fouling propensities.Al- a great kid, and a hard worker. I was inspired to see Jake out there working after the game. But that’s about it.

I can’t help but think that this season could have turned out much differently, and that’s the real source of our disappointment. I also can’t help but think about the effects of vocal fan discontentment, led by a jilted former player/ coach has had on some of these kids. This site is too civil; there is a mob mentality brewing out there, folks. Fitzner for one, is terrified to play now.No matter what part of the state you live in, here in the South we are watching UK gel and play great, and Louisville far exceed expectations. In the North, you have to see Purdue and Michigan excel. Tough. Painful.

There is most likely a dynamic behind the scenes that has destroyed this year’s team. It seems by observation, there are a couple of players who think that they can take over games, and try to make plays- more than likely against the coach’s wishes, most often resulting in really bad shots or turnovers. I don’t want to add my speculations, but, it’s obvious to me there are at least 2 who fall into this category. ( one has already been suspended once, and one’s father let the cat out of the bag on Twitter- my opinion only) Hope Archie can “Crean” a few bad apples. Like the real Crean has lamented he couldn’t do at GA.

This game season has been wasted. Romeo has been wasted. And if Archie can’t get ahold of things, he will be gone before he has a chance to put “his guys” in there.

That being said,  I’m “ride or die” for IU, and if anyone out there doesn’t want your tickets, I’ll take them. I’ll need 3. 

You would have to take just 2 or all 4 and they will not be cheap, but reasonable given what I have invested in them. Hard to believe after all these years that I am honestly open to the possibility of taking a break for the rest of the year - disheartening.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archie will get at least 5 seasons before he would get axed(THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN).  A coach can only do so much, his message is sent to the players but they are not responding.  I think Archie is leaning on Romeo and Juwan ALOT which when they are your best two players on the team that makes sense, especially with all the injuries that have occurred.  I think Davis needs a to dominate playing time when another big his size plays a lot(aka yesterday vs Ohio St Morgan stood no chance).  

Can anyone answer when we might see Race play?  I understand when a guy isn't conditioned, however I think DeRon needs more minutes(assuming he's not in foul trouble) and Race needs to start playing already. 

👀 I hate the way our team looks. Eyeball test is brutal. When you have a talent like Romeo, Not only should he have a Carson Edwards type role, he should be out on fast breaks every chance we get. I don’t understand as a team why we don’t get down the court to beat the defense back. Everything we do seems so difficult. Also if we don’t have shooters run a high low with Morgan up high and Davis down low. Smith is not the answer. Green is not the answer. 

13 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I was told there was an altercation in the locker room between 3 players today.  Just got an email and when/if I hear what happened I’ll post more.  

Edit-After the game that is.  

Not good at all but it would explain why this team doesn't look like they want to be on the court together.  after the season it will be time to clean out some of the trouble makers and start fresh. If this kind of thing s what is holding up Brooks decision maybe Archie needs to really clean hose now and not until the end of the season.

53 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Watch us win the BTT. 

The thing is we all kknow this team can do it.  You don’t beat 3 of the top 16 teams without some talent and decent play.  This is why I don’t see Archie benching people and playing the freshmen more.  He knows they can make a run at any time if they can just get it back together.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Personally, I hope it was Morgan grabbing some guys by the throat and explaining to them that his Senior season was not going to go down like this.

I don't think Morgan even talks to anyone.  It would show on the floor if he was the one.  He is the most uninspired Senior i haven seen on the floor in years.  Great player and great roll player to have on a team, not a leader though. 

11 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Ran some numbers on the packline to see how it compared to his opponents. Pretty underwhelming. He generates 13% more steals but that's lost due to the fact that his system leaves shooters open. Ranked 151st in three point defense on average. 

His teams average per season / opponents average per season. .

Steals: 200 / 173.

Blocks: 108 / 119.

Redounds: 1095 / 1052.

His offensive philosophy is atrocious and his defensive philosophy does what exactly? The way that he wants to play is great for winning at a mid major level where he's facing poor coaches with mid-major level talent but it's been exposed here in the big 10. 

Of course data isn't everything so there's that at least? 

You running these "numbers" tells me that you don't know what the pack line defense is. It is never going to generate a bunch of turnovers through steals, or block a lot of shots. His last 3 years at Dayton, they were no lower than 27th in defensive efficiency and they were 45th, 82nd and 35th in opponents points per game. Those numbers support a system built on forcing tough shots, and being efficient.

Thing is, if it was just a player trying to hold some guys with issues accountable, are those guys gonna react positively and take it as motivation and the kick in the rear they needed, or are they gonna take it negatively and cry about it, being the softies a lot of people think they are, and react in a bad way because they didn’t enjoy being called out and getting their widdle feewings hurt. Depending which way that goes could drastically change the effort level we see the remainder of the season (not that the effort level was acceptable to begin with)...unless it ends up being something Archie rids of right away and says enough is enough.

11 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Ran some numbers on the packline to see how it compared to his opponents. Pretty underwhelming. He generates 13% more steals but that's lost due to the fact that his system leaves shooters open. Ranked 151st in three point defense on average. 

His teams average per season / opponents average per season. .

Steals: 200 / 173.

Blocks: 108 / 119.

Redounds: 1095 / 1052.

His offensive philosophy is atrocious and his defensive philosophy does what exactly? The way that he wants to play is great for winning at a mid major level where he's facing poor coaches with mid-major level talent but it's been exposed here in the big 10. 

Of course data isn't everything so there's that at least? 

Because UVA's pack-line hasn't had any success in that Mid-Major ACC with poor coaching they play in...

And Arizona, too...very flukey for them to win the PAC 10 and be a 4-seed or higher in pretty much every year Sean Miller has coached there.

The pack-line is not without faults...but it's not the issue.

This team has several issues. 

On the court the lack of size is a major issue.  As Deron gets back healthy it seems he can be part of the solution.  TJD is coming and Jake looks promising.  Moore I don't know but in the case of him and Jake, they are players that hopefully projected to be solid contributors by the time they became upperclassmen. Fitz didn't really work out but as a grad transfer he was just bandaid until the underclassmen matured.

Shooting is clearly bad.  Hopefully Rob another over extended Frosh will be much more reliable next year. Damezi is supposed to be a shooter but insn't he just another Frosh who is more suited to being developed into a solid upperclassmen.   

Off the court, there seems to be chemistry issues and now reports of players who don't like each and fighting/arguing.  Let's see what happens with transfers.  I wonder if Archie is ready to turn the page to his Frosh recruits next year when they are Sophs though Davis and Al seem needed for a successful year. Hopefully Hunter and Race can get on the court next season.  I wonder if Archie, recognizing this dumpster fire has decided to try to redshirt Race another year. Doesn't seem like he'd want to stay that long (6 years)but if he has grad school ambition it could be good for him either for IU or as a grad transfer. Don't know thathe is even eligible for a Redshirt if he is cleared to play. 

I kind of quit on the team mid way through the losing streak but keep watching and see no need to slam Archie at this point in time. This team had the pieces in place but nothing has good right this year especially on the injury front.  Lets see how who land on the recruiting trail and who leaves via xfer. I really hate to see Smith leave but if is part of the locker room chemistry maybe it needs to happen.

To be it's pretty simple. We are at the bottom and Pudue is at the top of the conference.  The same team we made fun of as a 1 man show. 1 star and a bunch of role players. We can sugar coat however we want with all excuses in the book, some legit. CMP is going to be Coach of the year in the conference and a shot at National coach of the year. I dont want to hear another word about locking up the borders etc... find a way to win. ITS INDIANA FREAKING UNIVERSITY find a way to win. I have never been more pissed off, embarrassed, ashamed disappointed more from any sports team ever as I am this one. I am getting to the point where if we are not cheating then maybe it's time to start.  At least the UK fans can enjoy the season. College basketball is my favorite sport to watch and because of our team I cannot enjoy 1 second of it. That's terrible and I never thought I would feel that way. I really dont care if its year 1 or 2 or 600 win a basketball game. Everyone else is finding a way.  I blame everyone involved. Right now we suck enough for everyone to get a big piece of the blame. Yesterday I watched a group of 5th graders score and shoot better than Indiana University. 

37 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

On the court the lack of size is a major issue.  As Deron gets back healthy it seems he can be part of the solution.  TJD is coming and Jake looks promising.  Moore I don't know but in the case of him and Jake, they are players that hopefully projected to be solid contributors by the time they became upperclassmen. Fitz didn't really work out but as a grad transfer he was just bandaid until the underclassmen matured.

Shooting is clearly bad.  Hopefully Rob another over extended Frosh will be much more reliable next year. Damezi is supposed to be a shooter but insn't he just another Frosh who is more suited to being developed into a solid upperclassmen.   

Off the court, there seems to be chemistry issues and now reports of players who don't like each and fighting/arguing.  Let's see what happens with transfers.  I wonder if Archie is ready to turn the page to his Frosh recruits next year when they are Sophs though Davis and Al seem needed for a successful year. Hopefully Hunter and Race can get on the court next season.  I wonder if Archie, recognizing this dumpster fire has decided to try to redshirt Race another year. Doesn't seem like he'd want to stay that long (6 years)but if he has grad school ambition it could be good for him either for IU or as a grad transfer. Don't know thathe is even eligible for a Redshirt if he is cleared to play. 

I kind of quit on the team mid way through the losing streak but keep watching and see no need to slam Archie at this point in time. This team had the pieces in place but nothing has good right this year especially on the injury front.  Lets see how who land on the recruiting trail and who leaves via xfer. I really hate to see Smith leave but if is part of the locker room chemistry maybe it needs to happen.

Really great post!

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I think you are dead on that next years keys to success start th DD and Al.  They need to be the leaders with next years sophomores taking a step up and the freshman battling for time against said returning players.  But DD and Al need to be the ones that lead by example and push the younger classes to be better.

51 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To be it's pretty simple. We are at the bottom and Pudue is at the top of the conference.  The same team we made fun of as a 1 man show. 1 star and a bunch of role players. We can sugar coat however we want with all excuses in the book, some legit. CMP is going to be Coach of the year in the conference and a shot at National coach of the year. I dont want to hear another word about locking up the borders etc... find a way to win. ITS INDIANA FREAKING UNIVERSITY find a way to win. I have never been more pissed off, embarrassed, ashamed disappointed more from any sports team ever as I am this one. I am getting to the point where if we are not cheating then maybe it's time to start.  At least the UK fans can enjoy the season. College basketball is my favorite sport to watch and because of our team I cannot enjoy 1 second of it. That's terrible and I never thought I would feel that way. I really dont care if its year 1 or 2 or 600 win a basketball game. Everyone else is finding a way.  I blame everyone involved. Right now we suck enough for everyone to get a big piece of the blame. Yesterday I watched a group of 5th graders score and shoot better than Indiana University. 

Never I and I mean should we stoop to cheating and you really need to chill because it is just a game.  I understand right after game feeling like this or during the game but after 24 hours it is time come up for sir.  I can still enjoy the college basketball season without IU be great and will still take off Thursday/Friday of the 1st round like I do every year.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Never I and I mean should we stoop to cheating and you really need to chill because it is just a game.  I understand right after game feeling like this or during the game but after 24 hours it is time come up for sir.  I can still enjoy the college basketball season without IU be great and will still take off Thursday/Friday of the 1st round like I do every year.

And that is your opinion.  The cheating was tongue in cheek. There is no excuse with 10 plus scholarship players to be in the bottom tier of the big ten. Everything else is true except for the cheating comment.  I am beyond sick of losing. This team has taken all enjoyment out of the game for me. I am so over all of the excuses, legit or not. Man up have a set and win a game. Is that asking too much. My opinion is my time is better spent doing something else than watching basketball. I cant compartmentalize it. Watching Michigan and Wisconsin on Saturday,  why cant we fill in the blank.  That does not make me less of a fan or I need to chill. We have been chill for 20 years and I have accepted it that long and for the first time ever I dont enjoy anything about the game at this time

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Have you seen the picture posted with a little over 3 seconds left in the game that shows how wide open Phinisee is when Green put up his shot?

I think the savior treatment that Romeo was getting going into the year did not play well with some of the guys who have been around for awhile.  I think Smith is one of those guys, that being the case, I hope he and his Dad are sent packing.  They both have an oversized opinion of where he should be in the pecking order and frankly, if we land Brooks and Hunter is able to come back as advertised, Justin's role is going to be off the bench.  I do not think he would he able to handle that and that just allows the cancer to spread more.

All I know is that it should be more than just Romeo and the seniors moving on next year.

Seems hard for me to reconcile Smith starting every game with Smith being asked to leave at the end of the season.

Does not compute.

Archived