Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Seems hard for me to reconcile Smith starting every game with Smith being asked to leave at the end of the season.

Does not compute.

Giving someone every opportunity to prove themselves I guess.

Maybe it is just wishing on my part, I have a hard time pulling for Justin anymore.  I view him as a major part of the problem.  And if he gets his panties in a twist over a freshmen coming in with more talent and accolades, whose to say he does not do that again if Brooks and TJD show up on campus this summer?  Then you have the same stuff again.

I hope he goes.  I know they are "kids" and support them and all that, but I am not a big fan anymore.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin is a great athlete who can do two things well.  He can play help defense at the bucket very well.  Because of his athleticism, he can rotate over, get up, and alter or block shots.  He can also cut quickly around the bucket and get some quick, darting buckets around the rim.  

But so much of his game is untapped. He doesn’t play hard on the ball defense.  It’s lazy to be blunt. He could actually lock people down if he set his mind to it.  He’s too casual with his passing.  He can’t shoot a lick, even at the free throw line.  He can rebound well at times, but I can’t call that a strength because he’s an inconsistent rebounder.  

He could be a very good player if he wanted to be.  Quick cuts to the bucket, block out consistently and get more boards, actually play hard in man defense.  But, no, he doesn’t play within himself.  He makes asinine moves with the ball when he has no playmaking abilities. He takes jumpers that are the equivalent of turnovers.  

He has the potential to be a very good player his last two years but to me his lack of energy and hustle, along with poor b-ball IQ out on the floor,  are unforgivable traits. His game is not my cup of tea as it stands now.  I don’t see any signs that he’s going to commit to winning basketball.  Archie sticks with him, maybe because he doesn’t think he has a choice.

I’d bench him, reduce his minutes significantly until he shows a level of busting his ass and smarter play.  His minutes can be absorbed by others.  He needs to be coached hard.  He may not be the type to accept it.  

6 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Can anyone answer when we might see Race play?  I understand when a guy isn't conditioned, however I think DeRon needs more minutes(assuming he's not in foul trouble) and Race needs to start playing already. 

I can't tell you when we might see Race play again.  Other than he is just now starting to come around.  His condition was much more serious than many gave him. Blurred vision, lights flashing in his eyes, feeling so badly on many days, that he was unable to make class many days.

As for DeRon.  Though he was not on the floor a ton of time during the Ohio State game, he was plus 11 scoring 6 points. Agree with you. DeRon needs to see more time.  And Archie has admitted as much.

This season reminds me a lot of the season we eventually had to let Perea and Devin Davis go.  Sometimes players just aren't good for the whole of the group despite their abilities.  The next year we showed minor improvement, and the year after that we won the Big ten with a good, but still relatively young roster.  The biggest thing was having a veteran PG.  I think RP is that guy. I also think Archie will get the roster balanced out.

I know Crean had a tendency to recruit extremely athletic guys who carried big egos.  I think we have a couple of those right now, and the sooner they go, the better.  I'm pretty confident, in a couple years we will be back at the top of the Bigten, and this time Archie will need to keep us up there with balance recruiting classes, which crean could not maintain.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Someone on Twitter now reporting a locker room dispute.  Said from a reliable source it was 3-4 players.  I don’t recognize the name but found it interesting.  Someone replied asking if he heard it on here.😂

This may be the second time from someone else I communicate with.  Last time it was just 2 guys...

I think it hasn't been mentioned much because of our current losing streak, but the last 4 games Romeo has hit 40% or over at the 3 point line.  He's done a good job helping to fill that void along with Durham.  So certain guys are improving, but others are not.  I think it is more evidence that certain guys need to be benched now. 

We finished the game with a horribly blown defensive snafu, and another player who fired up a 3 while being double teamed from beyond nba range, when that was not the play call, and you can tell that by the look on morgan and romeo's faces.

I think we can all agree that we'd rather see guys who want to be coached, playing, as opposed to guys who are out there to self serve, no matter how it affects the overall team record.

5 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I think it hasn't been mentioned much because of our current losing streak, but the last 4 games Romeo has hit 40% or over at the 3 point line.  He's done a good job helping to fill that void along with Durham.  So certain guys are improving, but others are not.  I think it is more evidence that certain guys need to be benched now. 

We finished the game with a horribly blown defensive snafu, and another player who fired up a 3 while being double teamed from beyond nba range, when that was not the play call, and you can tell that by the look on morgan and romeo's faces.

I think we can all agree that we'd rather see guys who want to be coached, playing, as opposed to guys who are out there to self serve, no matter how it affects the overall team record.

@milehiiu mentioned it in another thread.  Not sure which thread.  Yes his shot is improving.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, Muddy River said:

Personally, I hope it was Morgan grabbing some guys by the throat and explaining to them that his Senior season was not going to go down like this.

Whose to say Morgan is not a part of the issue? He seems disinterested way to often in my opinion. I am wondering if he is jealous because he thinks he should be in the NBA with his best bud OG and is pouting his senior year away.

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I'm hearing Archie was involved in the altercation and security was called,still haven't heard any names of players but one name does keep popping up...sounds like a build up of over the last couple months finally blew up.

If that is the case, whoever it was should not be suspended, they should be done at IU forever.

Archived