Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think my preference at this point would be to add two grad transfers (Brunk and a guard/wing that can shoot) and then Windham. I'm not usually a big grad transfer guy, but I don't think this roster needs two more freshmen. Plus that way you're adding players that can impact next season and you can then even potentially redshirt Windham. 

Although where the issue comes into play and kind of hamstrings Archie a bit is that he's got a bunch of above average players that in my opinion aren't good enough to make your team really, really good, but are just good enough to make a grad transfer not want to come.

For example, our backcourt is currently Phinisee, Green, Durham, Franklin and Anderson. Not a bad group, but also not a high level group either. But as a grad transfer you look at that and you know Phinisee is starting, Durham just started basically his entire sophomore season and Green is a senior who has been a starter. I think this could be a really good team with a grad transfer at the 2 and Green/Durham coming off the bench, but would that work from a chemistry perspective and would a grad transfer want to deal with that?

Archie is in a really interesting spot with this roster. A lot of questions marks, a lot of unproven guys, and a lot of guys that have played minutes but at the same time haven't really seized the opportunity (Green, Smith, etc.). Not sure what you do with that?

Agreed. Which would have made it easier to just take lumps from the beginning, let Archie clean house (if needed) and add his own guys.

Where would we be if we had McKinley Wright on the roster?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think my preference at this point would be to add two grad transfers (Brunk and a guard/wing that can shoot) and then Windham. I'm not usually a big grad transfer guy, but I don't think this roster needs two more freshmen. Plus that way you're adding players that can impact next season and you can then even potentially redshirt Windham. 

Although where the issue comes into play and kind of hamstrings Archie a bit is that he's got a bunch of above average players that in my opinion aren't good enough to make your team really, really good, but are just good enough to make a grad transfer not want to come.

For example, our backcourt is currently Phinisee, Green, Durham, Franklin and Anderson. Not a bad group, but also not a high level group either. But as a grad transfer you look at that and you know Phinisee is starting, Durham just started basically his entire sophomore season and Green is a senior who has been a starter. I think this could be a really good team with a grad transfer at the 2 and Green/Durham coming off the bench, but would that work from a chemistry perspective and would a grad transfer want to deal with that?

Archie is in a really interesting spot with this roster. A lot of questions marks, a lot of unproven guys, and a lot of guys that have played minutes but at the same time haven't really seized the opportunity (Green, Smith, etc.). Not sure what you do with that?

Very well put I couldn’t agree more! So what to do is the 3.5 million dollar question for Archie. I certainly hope that we fulfill our needs by grad transfer but I think that area of recruiting is very competitive also. Hoping for the best preparing for the worst

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Agreed. Which would have made it easier to just take lumps from the beginning, let Archie clean house (if needed) and add his own guys.

Where would we be if we had McKinley Wright on the roster?

Agree.  I had a discussion on here towards the end of last season where I said I felt the biggest mistake was not just cleaning house when Archie got here. At the time I wasn't aware of the apparent APR issues which are rumored to have prevented that.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree.  I had a discussion on here towards the end of last season where I said I felt the biggest mistake was not just cleaning house when Archie got here. At the time I wasn't aware of the apparent APR issues which are rumored to have prevented that.

I'm not sure what the penalties for short term APR issues are, but it may have even been best to just eat the penalties. I think loss of scholarship(s) was a potential penalty, but that may have even been beneficial to eat, as opposed to forcing a new coach to work with another coach's players.

5 minutes ago, ephul said:

I'm not sure what the penalties for short term APR issues are, but it may have even been best to just eat the penalties. I think loss of scholarship(s) was a potential penalty, but that may have even been beneficial to eat, as opposed to forcing a new coach to work with another coach's players.

UConn received a post season ban one year I do believe.

9 minutes ago, ephul said:

Unable to compete in championships as Rico mentioned and loss of practice time are the two main penalties.

Since it based on a four year average, it may have caused a post-season ban in year 3 or 4 instead of just trying to "eat the penalty" and take it right away.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/academic-progress-rate-explained

38 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Unable to compete in championships as Rico mentioned and loss of practice time are the two main penalties.

Since it based on a four year average, it may have caused a post-season ban in year 3 or 4 instead of just trying to "eat the penalty" and take it right away.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/academic-progress-rate-explained

If true it wasn’t worth it...

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Speaking of your fix....did you see Brian Snow and Keion's Mom Sarita acting all in the comments of Keion's tweet yesterday. I'll say this again and again. When Snow posts something that is a slant against IU pay attention....he's being used as a voice box for recruits or in this case their parents for years...and honestly he seems to enjoy it.

Still can't believe the other site would employ a guy like that to work on IU information.  Not that hard to see his stance on IU over the years.

247 employs him, not Peegs.

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

Thanks very informative. Comparing Archie and John B styles I would have to unfortunately feel Lester Q would be more attracted to Michigan. Hopefully Archie will improve his offense to more up tempo or I can see us finishing second in a lot of recruiting battles. These first two years have been unimpressive to say the least and I hope Archie does not loose any more momentum and has a good year next year. Again as the roster stands today I don’t see that.  We need to make significant improvements on the roster and pretty much everywhere else. 

Bet our offense is viewed much better once we have some guys that can hit open looks.  How many times did Archie's system create great looks that guys failed to execute?  Guess we'll see going forward. 

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

Bet our offense is viewed much better once we have some guys that can hit open looks.  How many times did Archie's system create great looks that guys failed to execute?  Guess we'll see going forward. 

I hope you are right, hitting shots makes any coach look better. Some of my thinking is that Archie likes to work through the post on every possession that isn’t in transition. By up tempo I not only mean transition but half court offense as well. I believe teams are mor effective on offense that are encouraged to shoot the open 3  even if we haven’t passed it 2 or 3 times. This does take better judgement by the players on when to shoot or feed the post. Many times last season we past up good shots to feed the post and that resulted in a lowering shot clock and some more contested shots. Also many times giving up a 3 and scoring a2 results in very close games. Yes we have the opportunity to win those games but so does the other team. Our 12-2 start this year was peppered with a lot of close wins sometimes over very poor teams. Hindsight is easy but we definitely need to improve the product on the floor. I agree we will see going forward and hope we land brunk and 2 outside shot makers

28 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I hope you are right, hitting shots makes any coach look better. Some of my thinking is that Archie likes to work through the post on every possession that isn’t in transition. By up tempo I not only mean transition but half court offense as well. I believe teams are mor effective on offense that are encouraged to shoot the open 3  even if we haven’t passed it 2 or 3 times. This does take better judgement by the players on when to shoot or feed the post. Many times last season we past up good shots to feed the post and that resulted in a lowering shot clock and some more contested shots. Also many times giving up a 3 and scoring a2 results in very close games. Yes we have the opportunity to win those games but so does the other team. Our 12-2 start this year was peppered with a lot of close wins sometimes over very poor teams. Hindsight is easy but we definitely need to improve the product on the floor. I agree we will see going forward and hope we land brunk and 2 outside shot makers

Great points on emphasizing the post over taking an early open three. Hopefully he and Devonte really do learn from each other, and Archie sees the value in putting pressure on the defense with spacing the floor in transition. Doesn't mean we have to take wild, contested shots, but emphasizing opportunities to push.  Time will tell.

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

Great points on emphasizing the post over taking an early open three. Hopefully he and Devonte really do learn from each other, and Archie sees the value in putting pressure on the defense with spacing the floor in transition. Doesn't mean we have to take wild, contested shots, but emphasizing opportunities to push.  Time will tell.

I agree completely 

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Your story and line...you can tell it however you want.  We got who we got...let's deal with it.

Or if you don't want to partake in the conversation, just don't read it. Or ignore it. I really don't care.

It's a message board to discuss IU hoops. Potential players that Archie had on board at Dayton, and IU APR potential issues seem somewhat relevant to IU Basketball.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Probably without Rob Phinisee.....

Using your post as a jumping off point for a larger discussion. This is what I don't understand and what I think needs to change about IU recruiting. It seems like we only ever have one guy at every position. Even going back to Crean, we had Yogi for 4 years and then no backup pg when he left. We had Zeller, then Vonleh, then nobody and then Bryant and then really nobody again. But none of those guys ever played together. We never had two good point guards or two good bigs at the same time. 

Look at these good teams making run, they have multiple guys at key positions How are they selling it? While not exactly the same, Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome are similar players. Guy is more a pure shooter and Jerome is more a ball handler, but they offer similar things and are a similar size. They not only play together but they came to UVA in the same class. 

Texas Tech had both Moody and Moretti in the backcourt. They had both Owens and Odiase on the inside. I realize you're most likely not going to get something like two McDonald's AA point guards in the same class, but no reason guys like Phinisee and Wright can't play together and coexist. Our season next year is going to basically count on Phinisee and Green playing together. 

UK had PJ Washington and Nic Richards coming back but was still able to get the big from Stanford to grad transfer in. Villanova had Brunson, Booth and DiVencenzo in the backcourt for their most recent title but was still able to recruit Gillespe as a freshmen that year. Gillespe played a reserve role last season and then took over when two of those three left. 

Auburn had multiple, similar guards in the backcourt that could handle, penetrate and shoot.

13 minutes ago, ephul said:

Or if you don't want to partake in the conversation, just don't read it. Or ignore it. I really don't care.

It's a message board to discuss IU hoops. Potential players that Archie had on board at Dayton, and IU APR potential issues seem somewhat relevant to IU Basketball.

Not in the Lester Q thread....

Archived