Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

I wouldn't enjoy IU success if I knew we achieved it by cheating.  Far more satisfying to win knowing you did it within the rules, and against teams that cheat.  We all hate Kentucky.  Why would anyone endeavor to become them?

This isn't a generational thing.  Pearl, Self, K, Calipari.  They're the vanguard of college cheating.  The boosters coming up with the money are all boomers.  In almost every story about cheating, it's the parents/uncles/handlers that are negotiating these deals and getting the cash and houses.  It's obnoxious that you can even twist this in a way to blame on the younger generation.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s really not even cheating... It’s completely condoned by the body that governs college basketball.  Fake classes lead to national championships.  Buy hookers for recruits, you’re back in the tournament next year.  Personally discuss cash offers to recruits on tape, you get a conference championship and Sweet 16.  Heck, as the other recruiting thread that got derailed recently demonstrated, even fans of opposing teams will die on a hill defending programs that are clearly cheating their asses off.

I have a close friend that’s become involved with college coaching at various levels over the last 5 years, and it’s really opened my eyes.  Mentioning “morals” in the same sentence as “college basketball” is just comical.  There are no morals anywhere in college basketball, at any level.

All day long. 

5 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I wouldn't enjoy IU success if I knew we achieved it by cheating.  Far more satisfying to win knowing you did it within the rules, and against teams that cheat.  We all hate Kentucky.  Why would anyone endeavor to become them?

This isn't a generational thing.  Pearl, Self, K, Calipari.  They're the vanguard of college cheating.  The boosters coming up with the money are all boomers.  In almost every story about cheating, it's the parents/uncles/handlers that are negotiating these deals and getting the cash and houses.  It's obnoxious that you can even twist this in a way to blame on the younger generation.  

Good post

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s really not even cheating... It’s completely condoned by the body that governs college basketball.  Fake classes lead to national championships.  Buy hookers for recruits, you’re back in the tournament next year.  Personally discuss cash offers to recruits on tape, you get a conference championship and Sweet 16.  Heck, as the other recruiting thread that got derailed recently demonstrated, even fans of opposing teams will die on a hill defending programs that are clearly cheating their asses off.

I have a close friend that’s become involved with college coaching at various levels over the last 5 years, and it’s really opened my eyes.  Mentioning “morals” in the same sentence as “college basketball” is just comical.  There are no morals anywhere in college basketball, at any level.

Just because others does it does not make it right or something we should want IU to do.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.... you just proved my point. Don't group the younger generation together. Sorry but that was a ridiculous post. 

To me it is the younger generation that has tried to change everything about sports that I grew up loving and to me a lot is not for the better.

9 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I am talking about the younger IU fans because in the past I never saw any IU fans ever say they would be good with cheating or breaking the rules.  It is not like I am real old but I am 48 and have lived through 3 championships without cheating and it still can be done since 3 of the last 4 champions seem to do it the right way.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is the younger generation that has tried to change everything about sports that I grew up loving and to me a lot is not for the better.

Define "younger" generation.... give me specifics? What "young" people are changing things?

Are people in the NCAA committees young? What about Adam Silver? Roger Goodell are they young? Give me specifics or this is a weak stance. 

2 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Image result for get off my lawn gif

Well if you think I take that as a put down I don't because I take it as a compliment.  Also this has done on for generations because my grand father and father generation did not like how things changed when they got older as well.  To me all the changes to rules and how the game is played is to get the interest of the younger people and it makes the older people feel like they don't matter.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First of all, I am lots older than you.

The younger generation has not changed everything about sports. If you have anger or concern or whatever, direct it towards the people that are guiding the young folks. That would be people your age, my age, but definitely not the young folks. 

The younger generations are the future. Like it or not, Scott they will lead the way...on the court, in the classrooms, in public life. Change is inevitable. What our generations should hope for is that the younger generations take our successes and improve on them, and file our mistakes away so they don't repeat them.

If the only way IU can become a top level program again is to cheat and fans approve and recommend of that strategy, then I'll just have to find a new hobby. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Define "younger" generation.... give me specifics? What "young" people are changing things?

Are people in the NCAA committees young? What about Adam Silver? Roger Goodell are they young? Give me specifics or this is a weak stance. 

Saying all the changes to the rules and how the game is played to get the interest of the younger people and don't really care about what the older people think.  Just like the time of games in baseball is all started because the younger generation did not have the time or the attention span to watch something for 3 hours.

3 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Every coach currently cheating isn't young whatsoever. The people running the ncaa who have let this go on aren't young. 

Did not say the coaches were young but the win at all cost for IU fans I think come from the younger generation.  it is win at any cost which was not the mentality of the older IU fans that we are starting to see today.

Saying all the changes to the rules and how the game is played to get the interest of the younger people and don't really care about what the older people think.  Just like the time of games in baseball is all started because the younger generation did not have the time or the attention span to watch something for 3 hours.

lol how do you know it's the younger generations fault? This is an awful, awful argument you've tried to form. You still have provided any specifics. Rules have changed? What has changed in how the game is played? 

Did not say the coaches were young but the win at all cost for IU fans I think come from the younger generation.  it is win at any cost which was not the mentality of the older IU fans that we are starting to see today.

Jesus christ... I am a YOUNG IU fan (even though you still won't define young) and I don't have the mentality of win at all cost. So, please... stop pretending that all "young people" want that. 

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is basically the point I was coming here to make. What is "cheating" exactly?

-UNC: Fake classes aren't cheating as long as they're fake for non-athlete students.

-Auburn with Cam Newton and COUNTLESS other examples: Paying a player's family, giving no-show jobs to mom & dad, etc. is NOT cheating if you don't pay the player.

I’ve never understood the need to bash a younger generation.  I am a Gen Xer and we got bashed, so I know the feeling.  The Baby Boomers were obviously bashed by the WWII generation.  And, a generation is so diverse that it’s very hard to generalize anyway. Overall, younger folks have inherited a raw deal in many ways in terms of future debt, shaky job prospects, divisive politics and bad leadership from Boomers and Gen Xers. 

Just now, btownqb said:

lol how do you know it's the younger generations fault? This is an awful, awful argument you've tried to form. You still have provided any specifics. Rules have changed? What has changed in how the game is played? 

The use of analytics and that every sport is geared toward offense.  Also my last point on this and that is that my main point starting this was due to IU fans not mind cheating.  To me the majority of the fans who think just win at any cost is from the generation that is probably from age 18-30 who has not seen that you can win without cheating.  I don't care what other fans bases think or do but I do care about the integrity of this fan base and have not liked what I have seen from it the last few years.

49 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I said I wasn't for it.  I don't want us to do it and I don't think we should do it.  But if it would ever come to light that we were, I am just saying we had better get caught going after WHALES rather than minnos.  Cuz if we get the book thrown at us over #184 in the rankings (random number) I would be even more pissed than if it was #1-10.

I'm sorry sir, but still strongly disagree. If IU EVER got mixed up in what you implied it had better be minnows and NOT whales. We can recover from a minnow, we would get the death sentence with whales.....

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Jesus christ... I am a YOUNG IU fan (even though you still won't define young) and I don't have the mentality of win at all cost. So, please... stop pretending that all "young people" want that. 

I say the fans I am targeting is probably between 18-30 and probably did not grow up living and dying with IU basketball.  I think the fans who did not grow up being IU fans and only became fans once they went to IU for college doesn't care about the past and how things use to work around here.

Archived