Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

If LQ and everyone else we are swinging at decide IU isnt for them and we dont see some improvement in on court play this next year, im really going to have some doubts if CAM is the right guy or not.  I know the guy can coach, but if he cant get some ball players (dont care about stars or ratings), then its not guna matter how good he is with a knife in a gun fight.  "Insert Cocodile Dundee jokes here....."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

If LQ and everyone else we are swinging at decide IU isnt for them and we dont see some improvement in on court play this next year, im really going to have some doubts if CAM is the right guy or not.  I know the guy can coach, but if he cant get some ball players (dont care about stars or ratings), then its not guna matter how good he is with a knife in a gun fight.  "Insert Cocodile Dundee jokes here....."

You can bring knives to a gunfight and win:

2847-bielik05-vforvendetta.jpg

Just now, 3Ballin said:

IMO Will be fine if he keeps recruiting the state as well as he has. I think we will Surprise people this year especially if Hunter is healthy. Last year really sucks just because the season got completely derailed before it could even start with injury’s otherwise we Woukd be dancing easily. Heck we were one win away from dancing with all the crap that happened. I really like CAM people just need to be patient!! I know everyone hates hearing that but it really is the truth. 

7 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

So you are going to base you opinion on missing two players this year in Brooks and LQ but you forget all the players who chose IU the last 2 years.

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

IMO Will be fine if he keeps recruiting the state as well as he has. I think we will Surprise people this year especially if Hunter is healthy. Last year really sucks just because the season got completely derailed before it could even start with injury’s otherwise we Woukd be dancing easily. Heck we were one win away from dancing with all the crap that happened. I really like CAM people just need to be patient!! I know everyone hates hearing that but it really is the truth. 

Im a CAM fan as well....but id have to say the worst thing we can be is average.  If we totally suck then the next new shiny thing is what will get us back on track.  If we are really good then we get a lot of new shiny things and stay good.  If we are average, make a move and stay average....then its hard to move up without going down first.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you are going to base you opinion on missing two players this year in Brooks and LQ but you forget all the players who chose IU the last 2 years.

Honestly, in the last couple of months, I've felt bad for TJD and Armaan. People acting like since IU missed out on some recruits, the roster is full of scrubs. Just imagine if TJD had strung his recruitment out until now. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

sound slike it is time to hit the grad transfer market for a shooter or two.  At least with the grad transfer it would still give us 4 scholarships for next year but the transfers would help this year.

Problem is, IU has kind of missed the boat with the guard/wing grad transfers. Most of the good ones are off the table by now. Archie would have to get lucky and find one or two that randomly announce late. I've kind of been puzzled as to why he hadn't hit the grad transfer market already (outside of Brunk), with two scholarships available. There were some really accomplished, experienced shooters/scorers on the grad transfer market this year.  

Ok, i went back thru the threads and counted about a dozen of players we were after that cut IU or committed somewhere else.  I dont expect CAM to hand out 2 or 3 offers a year and get all of them to commit.  I understand there are going to be misses or bad fits.  Also, my statement has nothing to do with anyone on or incomming to the roster.  We could be dangerous next year, we could also limp our way thru another "Season on the mend".  All i know is, to me, it looks like some kids have passed up for situations that didnt look to be as promissing as what we had to offer.  Could be that im obviously biased and we arent as desirable as i think we are???  Or maybe i just huffed too much paint at work today....who knows?

12 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Ok, i went back thru the threads and counted about a dozen of players we were after that cut IU or committed somewhere else.  I dont expect CAM to hand out 2 or 3 offers a year and get all of them to commit.  I understand there are going to be misses or bad fits.  Also, my statement has nothing to do with anyone on or incomming to the roster.  We could be dangerous next year, we could also limp our way thru another "Season on the mend".  All i know is, to me, it looks like some kids have passed up for situations that didnt look to be as promissing as what we had to offer.  Could be that im obviously biased and we arent as desirable as i think we are???  Or maybe i just huffed too much paint at work today....who knows?

See I don't count every person we offer as a miss if they choose elsewhere.  I think it is a miss when we go all out and recruit them hard and that the coaching staff has an in home visit or get an official visit.  If are name is linked to a recruit for a long time it is a miss but if we just offer but don't recruit them hard then it is not a miss.

10 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

You guys are giving up too easily. Who knows where LQ ends up - but I guarantee that if RJ Hampton and Boogie end up at Memphis - LQ will not be at Memphis.

And I won't mind being a consolation prize.  IU was my consolation prize after transferring out of IWU, taking a year off to join the National Guard, and landing at IU because it was the biggest school and I had already experienced Ball State, Indiana State, and Southern Indiana, via friends and family.  IU being my consolation prize worked out great for me.  

Edit: Purdue was not a consideration because I hated them and thought it was a cow school.  

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Problem is, IU has kind of missed the boat with the guard/wing grad transfers. Most of the good ones are off the table by now. Archie would have to get lucky and find one or two that randomly announce late. I've kind of been puzzled as to why he hadn't hit the grad transfer market already (outside of Brunk), with two scholarships available. There were some really accomplished, experienced shooters/scorers on the grad transfer market this year.  

I was a little surprised he didn’t got that route as well. I know he wants true freshmen to build into 4 year guys. But since it seems like we really don’t have a shot with Watford and Lester Q is 50/50 at best Why not just get another grad transfer that can shoot and help this year but still have 4 scholarships for 2020? Maybe In the end that will end up Happening if Q does go to Memphis as expected. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

LQ and Watford need to have their eyes set on final four in Indianapolis 2021.  Memphis will not live up to expectations, just like the recent Duke and UK classes have proven.  And this Memphis class isn't near what they typically haul.  

I think Memphis will be pretty good this year. They had a pretty bad team this past year and I thought Hardaway overachieved. That said I don’t see how he can sustain the recruiting momentum. His relations with the Memphis area kids sold them and then they brought some others with them...but that won’t happen year in and out. Penny will have to show he can stand 3-4 years or will he up and leave and coach the Grizzlies in a couple years?

At this point if Lester goes somewhere else pocket the scholarships take Leal, Galloway, and Morton plus a big man and 2021 land the top 5 kids in the state Landers, Furst, Kaufman, Thomas and the Brown kid if he grows....see no worries lol!!!!

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At this point if Lester goes somewhere else pocket the scholarships take Leal, Galloway, and Morton plus a big man and 2021 land the top 5 kids in the state Landers, Furst, Kaufman, Thomas and the Brown kid if he grows....see no worries lol!!!!

Wonder if any of the '20s could reclassify. I believe Leal is old for a '20.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

IU doesnt allow auto admits on Grad Transfers. Each dept. has to admit the kid based on grades. If they aren't A,B students Archie is out of the running. No favors at IU just because they play basketball.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Not sure you saw my post in another thread, but I heard in an interview this week that IU doesn’t make exceptions on grades with grad transfers like a lot of schools. The gist of the interview was that a lot of grad transfers are not options for us because a lot of them don’t academically qualify for grad school. 

I do agree we should have been more aggressive in this market while there were more options on the table. 

35 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Not sure you saw my post in another thread, but I heard in an interview this week that IU doesn’t make exceptions on grades with grad transfers like a lot of schools. The gist of the interview was that a lot of grad transfers are not options for us because a lot of them don’t academically qualify for grad school. 

I do agree we should have been more aggressive in this market while there were more options on the table. 

You know what? I saw that post and then completely forgot about it. Thanks as well to IndyKev for pointing that out. It definitely changes things. 

That's got to be really frustrating for Archie. About 10 years ago I was the lead on a marketing campaign with Ralph Friedgen the former University of Maryland football coach. They were still in the ACC at the time. But, I had the opportunity to go out to dinner with him and also spend a few afternoons with him in his office. Maryland is also a school where they don't bend academic requirements to get athletes in. Ralph used to complain about that constantly. In his opinion at least, it really really handcuffed him in terms of who he could recruit. 

At least in this case for IU it's just a grad transfer thing. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You know what? I saw that post and then completely forgot about it. Thanks as well to IndyKev for pointing that out. It definitely changes things. 

That's got to be really frustrating for Archie. About 10 years ago I was the lead on a marketing campaign with Ralph Friedgen the former University of Maryland football coach. They were still in the ACC at the time. But, I had the opportunity to go out to dinner with him and also spend a few afternoons with him in his office. Maryland is also a school where they don't bend academic requirements to get athletes in. Ralph used to complain about that constantly. In his opinion at least, it really really handcuffed him in terms of who he could recruit. 

At least in this case for IU it's just a grad transfer thing. 

One more thing, I heard in the same interview that there are a couple of guys IU is kicking the tires on, but no names were mentioned due to the uncertainty of their academic standing. 

3ballin and others, I’m sort of in the camp of Archie (or any coach) by year three needs to show we are trending in a better direction. And I don’t even think it has to be purely wins either! But IF, and I know it’s an IF, we have another season like this past one combined with a “feeling” (and I know it’s just a feeling but all of this is about perception), that we aren’t exciting for potential recruits, it’s going to be an extremely hard hole to dig out of.

im one of those “recruitniks” out there that follow college basketball and football recruiting and have for YEARS. A team can suck SO bad and when a coach comes in he or she has a few years of “buzz” they can create and sell. “Hey this is my vision and YOU are the perfect person to fit it!” But after three classes like that you have to change your pitch and it gets harder and harder to sell. 

Not saying it can’t be done, but the second half of this recruiting class is quickly becoming a fizzle and if it ends that way it puts even a tad more pressure on the season to work out really well as far as in the perception of the bulk of the fan base.

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

3ballin and others, I’m sort of in the camp of Archie (or any coach) by year three needs to show we are trending in a better direction. And I don’t even think it has to be purely wins either! But IF, and I know it’s an IF, we have another season like this past one combined with a “feeling” (and I know it’s just a feeling but all of this is about perception), that we aren’t exciting for potential recruits, it’s going to be an extremely hard hole to dig out of.

im one of those “recruitniks” out there that follow college basketball and football recruiting and have for YEARS. A team can suck SO bad and when a coach comes in he or she has a few years of “buzz” they can create and sell. “Hey this is my vision and YOU are the perfect person to fit it!” But after three classes like that you have to change your pitch and it gets harder and harder to sell. 

Not saying it can’t be done, but the second half of this recruiting class is quickly becoming a fizzle and if it ends that way it puts even a tad more pressure on the season to work out really well as far as in the perception of the bulk of the fan base.

I am of the opinion if we  become known as firing coaches after 2 or3 years you won't attract the type of coaches who can recruit at a high level.

37 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

One more thing, I heard in the same interview that there are a couple of guys IU is kicking the tires on, but no names were mentioned due to the uncertainty of their academic standing. 

Iirc rabjohns says he's not going to name any names but there are some guys IU is interested in but it may not matter due to quinones  and Watford recruitments.

Archived