Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

His jersey is blue... Bad sign. His shoe is red.... Good sign. Quick, anyone know which streets those are in NYC? That could be the subliminal hint!

:coffee:

This has been Memphis all the way from the get go.  Like Harris don't get your hopes up.  I'm honestly surprised Archie even wasted time hosting him for a visit.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

The “me culture” just continues to put a pit in my stomach. That’s the part about recruiting I HATE.

It used to bother me for a very long time too. Then I thought about it. These kids have worked almost their whole lives to get to this point. They’re also kids, and this is all they’ve seen in society. They grew up in the “selfie” era. That’s all they know, unless they were raised well.

Then I thought about all the guys that never make it to the NBA, and even the guys that end up in jail. For some of these players, it’s ends up being one of the biggest moment in their lives. 

After I thought about all that. It didn’t bother me anymore. I don’t agree with the spectacle, but thinking about all that.... it seems a lot more understandable.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

This has been Memphis all the way from the get go.  Like Harris don't get your hopes up.  I'm honestly surprised Archie even wasted time hosting him for a visit.

Is it like you guarantee that Romeo was not coming to IU

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

The “me culture” just continues to put a pit in my stomach. That’s the part about recruiting I HATE.

Cody and Romeo both held press conferences to make their announcements, and neither one are "all about me" people or players.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is it like you guarantee that Romeo was not coming to IU

Yes I was wrong like 6 months before his announcement.  I also said all along that if he announced in NA he was a Hoosier.  They made it sound for a while that he was announcing at the McDonald's game which pointed to Vandy.

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Cody and Romeo both held press conferences to make their announcements, and neither one are "all about me" people or players.

No I’m fine with press conferences. Actually totally fine. Just the overall constantly trying to self promote gets old. Just take your visits say what you like about schools and programs announce your date and announce and have fun. Idk...it’s mainly social media. It’s just old to me. I get it’s just what today is. That’s why I deleted my twitter account. Idc what a recruit are for lunch. 

1 hour ago, SeeYa@roys said:

It used to bother me for a very long time too. Then I thought about it. These kids have worked almost their whole lives to get to this point. They’re also kids, and this is all they’ve seen in society. They grew up in the “selfie” era. That’s all they know, unless they were raised well.

Then I thought about all the guys that never make it to the NBA, and even the guys that end up in jail. For some of these players, it’s ends up being one of the biggest moment in their lives. 

After I thought about all that. It didn’t bother me anymore. I don’t agree with the spectacle, but thinking about all that.... it seems a lot more understandable.

You’re right and it’s mainly how I was raised. I was just raised to enjoy people and successes in life but don’t puff your chest out all the time and don’t act like everything in YOUR life is so unbelievably important. Just serve and give and don’t make it a big deal. So how I was raised is SO contrary to how life is today. Just reality. But I still raise my kids the same way. We celebrate everything our kids do at home with them. Have special dinners, and give lots of hugs and do all kinds of neat stuff. And even in extended family too. But we just refuse to get into some of the “selfie” type culture. In my humble opinion it blinds you to a lot of suffering and sadness in the world around you because of the sheer volume of time effort and energy you pour into making sure everyone around you knows about you. 

Its me...I get it. I appreciate your post though...it does give me perspective. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

No I’m fine with press conferences. Actually totally fine. Just the overall constantly trying to self promote gets old. Just take your visits say what you like about schools and programs announce your date and announce and have fun. Idk...it’s mainly social media. It’s just old to me. I get it’s just what today is. That’s why I deleted my twitter account. Idc what a recruit are for lunch. 

Quinones took his visits, announced a date for announcement, and by all accounts is going to keep that date. He seems to be having fun. 

I wonder over 20 years ago if people thought I was being vain or selfish when we had graduation party after HS. I don’t see the difference between that and having an announcement party. It’s family and friends and they have a good time to celebrate the hard work and success this young man has achieved.

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

That's why I've chosen to remain off of social media for nearly 15 years now. Closed my only Facebook profile in 2005, and have never had profiles on any other SM outlet. I have a LinkedIn profile for professional purposes and that's it.

From that Zags article, I got a DJ Carton vibe. Remember, everyone thought Carton was between Michigan and IU and then he took that last visit to OSU. What he said about that visit is that he felt a family atmosphere and that he really bonded with the players. 

Im not saying Quinones picks IU by any means, but that’s twice now I’ve heard him comment about how well he bonded with the players at IU and then the Zags article tonight also mentioned “family” with IU. 

I’d still guess Memphis, but those quotes do sound promising. 

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

IF he picks IU, IMO this would be Archie’s best recruiting job yet. He would have pulled this off after getting in late, coming off a bad season, and what looked to be clear favorites already established. 

It's not like Memphis killed it last year.  Lost in the 2nd round of the NIT, so if last year's record is a deciding factor (I doubt it is), it would still be a toss-up.

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's not like Memphis killed it last year.  Lost in the 2nd round of the NIT, so if last year's record is a deciding factor (I doubt it is), it would still be a toss-up.

Memphis recruited their entire class this year and the top kids from last year from the Memphis area. Olive Branch, MS is a suburb of Memphis.  Wiseman is from Memphis, Jeffries if from Memphis, Dandridge is from Memphis, and Baugh is from Memphis.  That is their 2019 class so far.  2018 kids...Harris from Memphis, Lomax from Memphis,  Boyce from Memphis, and on.  Penny is really connected to the Memphis area from a HS and AAU perspective.  He got major push from AAU coaches in the area.  Mike Miller had an AAU program in the Memphis area as well.  Memphis has always been a good program when it can recruit the city.  Just like IU and Indiana.  

24 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Memphis recruited their entire class this year and the top kids from last year from the Memphis area. Olive Branch, MS is a suburb of Memphis.  Wiseman is from Memphis, Jeffries if from Memphis, Dandridge is from Memphis, and Baugh is from Memphis.  That is their 2019 class so far.  2018 kids...Harris from Memphis, Lomax from Memphis,  Boyce from Memphis, and on.  Penny is really connected to the Memphis area from a HS and AAU perspective.  He got major push from AAU coaches in the area.  Mike Miller had an AAU program in the Memphis area as well.  Memphis has always been a good program when it can recruit the city.  Just like IU and Indiana.  

I would add that Memphis also has a very "criminal" background with numerous coaches.

Archived