Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

36 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Memphis recruited their entire class this year and the top kids from last year from the Memphis area. Olive Branch, MS is a suburb of Memphis.  Wiseman is from Memphis, Jeffries if from Memphis, Dandridge is from Memphis, and Baugh is from Memphis.  That is their 2019 class so far.  2018 kids...Harris from Memphis, Lomax from Memphis,  Boyce from Memphis, and on.  Penny is really connected to the Memphis area from a HS and AAU perspective.  He got major push from AAU coaches in the area.  Mike Miller had an AAU program in the Memphis area as well.  Memphis has always been a good program when it can recruit the city.  Just like IU and Indiana.  

Sounds like the whole roster is Memphis.  A New York kid would be a bad fit.:coffee:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2019 was a strange recruiting class. Started with autolocks and since? Well let's just say it feels like we've been bouncing from kid to kid. I'm glad LQ had some nice things to say but right now Memphis has the momentum that a program like IU should have had going into 2nd full recruiting cycle. I don't expect a yes with LQ.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The stench of Dana Kirk and John Calapari lingers. And in Kirk's case, it was criminal

In Kirk's case, it was criminal.  In Calipari's case.....it probably was criminal, but he makes John Gotti look like an amateur when it comes to covering his tracks. 

Quinones would be a real difference maker for us.  CAM has shored up our defensive problem which was guarding bigs as he went out and got Brunk and Jackson-Davis.  If any one of these guys or as a group can own the defensive boards, our defense will likely be elite.

Quinones can get his own shot, and he is very good from deep.  Although he doesn't have the play making ability of Yogi, he is much more advanced than Yogi as a freshman from deep.  He should fill our need for a shooter to open up the floor half-court which was our main offensive problem last year.  With him Green and an improved from deep RP (or Anderson, etc.) shooting from deep could become a strength.  He can also get to the basket.

47 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Quinones would be a real difference maker for us.  CAM has shored up our defensive problem which was guarding bigs as he went out and got Brunk and Jackson-Davis.  If any one of these guys or as a group can own the defensive boards, our defense will likely be elite.

Quinones can get his own shot, and he is very good from deep.  Although he doesn't have the play making ability of Yogi, he is much more advanced than Yogi as a freshman from deep.  He should fill our need for a shooter to open up the floor half-court which was our main offensive problem last year.  With him Green and an improved from deep RP (or Anderson, etc.) shooting from deep could become a strength.  He can also get to the basket.

And Hunter

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

He's "etc.", and we really can't count on him at this time.  However, if he does have an impact, it is gravy.

Fair that we can't necessarily count on him as he didn't play, but he's not just "etc." in my book. He was right there behind Romeo coming into the season, had just won a gold jersey, and he can flat out shoot.

21 minutes ago, slojoe said:

He's "etc.", and we really can't count on him at this time.  However, if he does have an impact, it is gravy.

If you’re saying that purely from a health point of view I totally get it. But if it’s a “idk if he has the skill set to help a lot...” that might be a reach. I’d be SHOCKED if he doesn’t come in (if heathy) and immediately average in double figures.

1 hour ago, Hoosier98 said:

I'm feeling this is a smokescreen to keep people guessing.  I think he will be a Memphis Tiger.  I'm not getting any hopes up, done that too much the last 3 months.

I expect him to pick Memphis too, but I don't think this is a smokescreen situation. I think Archie, IU and the current players really made an impression on Quinones and his family. 

If he picks Memphis, I hope we don't do that thing where we claim the kid dragged IU along just to build suspense or his brand. I know that happens, but I really don't think it's the case in this one. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I expect him to pick Memphis too, but I don't think this is a smokescreen situation. I think Archie, IU and the current players really made an impression on Quinones and his family. 

If he picks Memphis, I hope we don't do that thing where we claim the kid dragged IU along just to build suspense or his brand. I know that happens, but I really don't think it's the case in this one. 

I agree.  LQ has carefully done his due diligence and is in a good position to make his best choice.  I think either choice is a good one for him.

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You may be right
I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light
Don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know
But you may be right

18 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Let me be first to say I really hope that we get both Galloway and Leal. If that means no Lester I am fine with that.

And for all we know Lester's the better of the three fills the immediate need from a team that needs him badly this year makes perfect sense

While I think Lester will be a good get, I don't see him starting over Rob, DeVonte and Jerome - who I predict will be our starters. Whether he starts off as a situational shooter or takes on a bigger role will be determined by his defense and how quickly he acclimates to college ball. He will be fighting for minutes with Al and Armaan. IMO, his real value is in years 2-4. I think IU is a better long term fit while Memphis is more immediate gratification. 

Good points.  And I think he will raise the competition level on the wings.  Guys like Damezi will need to compete or fall into the abyss.  Hunter and Durham will get pushed, etc.  And with our catastrophic injury situation last year, it'd be nice to get a hedge in here.  He would help our depth considerably.  

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And for all we know Lester's the better of the three fills the immediate need from a team that needs him badly this year makes perfect sense

We don’t know that, I can take or leave him I feel the long term health of the program is better served with Leal and Galloway 

12 minutes ago, Cutter said:

We don’t know that, I can take or leave him I feel the long term health of the program is better served with Leal and Galloway 

Exactly, we don't know that.  The team sucked last year and the 2 best players are gone.  LQ probably won't start on this comimg team but he is starter material.  They need as much immediate help as possible.  

"Quinones has a reputation as one of the more accurate and dangerous 3-point shooters in the 2019 class. That alone would make him a valuable addition for the Hoosiers, who have posted their two worst 3-point shooting seasons in program history in the past two years."  Osterman.

yeah we don't need that....yesterday, today, tomorrow.  I get the love for Indiana kids.  I want them too but this is a massive need.  

Archived