Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly, we don't know that.  The team sucked last year and the 2 best players are gone.  LQ probably won't start on this comimg team but he is starter material.  They need as much immediate help as possible.  

"Quinones has a reputation as one of the more accurate and dangerous 3-point shooters in the 2019 class. That alone would make him a valuable addition for the Hoosiers, who have posted their two worst 3-point shooting seasons in program history in the past two years."  Osterman.

yeah we don't need that....yesterday, today, tomorrow.  I get the love for Indiana kids.  I want them too but this is a massive need.  

I hear you I just don’t agree with you. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Its not that i dont agree or disagree with what you are saying.  I just believe the need is too immense to wait for guys generally described as less gifted than LQ.  

I understand but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the people doing the evaluations and I am an Indiana homer . If he chooses us over Memphis I will be all in on him. I think Franklin , Leal, Galloway and Lester Q could all play the two or wing spot but that might be to crowded with four players at around the same height 

I think he can start if he comes in and is knocking down shots. His size is s premium. Al is a perfect spark plug off the bench along with Green filling the back up point guard spot...plus Lester can play either wings because of his size. The one that may get pushed out is Damezi if he doesn’t step up...either way I think Lester gets 24 minutes a night right away...but If Memphis lands R.J. or Boogie...he will see even less time. That is why I’m hoping a shoe to drop before he commits...hopefully!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think he can start if he comes in and is knocking down shots. His size is s premium. Al is a perfect spark plug off the bench along with Green filling the back up point guard spot...plus Lester can play either wings because of his size. The one that may get pushed out is Damezi if he doesn’t step up...either way I think Lester gets 24 minutes a night right away...but If Memphis lands R.J. or Boogie...he will see even less time. That is why I’m hoping a shoe to drop before he commits...hopefully!

With Durham, Green, Hunter, and RP... there isn't 24 mins a night to go around. 15-18 mins probably. 

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Its not that i dont agree or disagree with what you are saying.  I just believe the need is too immense to wait for guys generally described as less gifted than LQ.  

It's like making good whiskey.  All the good stuff might be in the barrel, but it takes some time to mellow and mature.  How much time? Depends on the whiskey and the drinker. 

He may have the raw skills we need, but it may take him 10 games, 20 games or most of the season to adapt to college. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's like making good whiskey.  All the good stuff might be in the barrel, but it takes some time to mellow and mature.  How much time? Depends on the whiskey and the drinker. 

He may have the raw skills we need, but it may take him 10 games, 20 games or most of the season to adapt to college. 

And as it stands now, unless Galloway and Leal make big jumps in the next year, they are not starter material freshman.  The program needs immediate injections of talent.  6'5" one of the best shooters in the nation.  I don't understand why I'm trying to be talked out of this.  Someone help me.  I'm on the verge of becoming an all NBA guy because I'm sick and tired of losing and sick and tired of the corruption without consequences in NCAA.  If IU doesn't build something and build it quick, I'm taking a season or 2 or 3 or more off.  The only reason there isn't more apathy around the program is because it's the off season and we typically like our guys and hope and expect them to improve.  Rob, only a sophomore, is the only guy that would/will ever start on a B1G championship caliber team.  Not DG, not Al(love him), maybe Armaan down the road, not Demezi.  We need immediate help.  I don't know, maybe missing LQ means we get a grad transfer than can fill it up?  Is that hope?  Because if we roll out with these guys, the best we can hope is 6th.  I know, LQ maybe gets us to a 5th, but maybe he sways a Trendon Watford decision too.  Then we are talking top 3-4 again.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know.  I'm asking why I'm being talked out of this?  

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just saying, the key word is patience.  Yes, the kid is talented.  But not every 18 year old adapts to college the same way. If he hits the ground running, awesome.  But don't sound the alarm if he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just saying, the key word is patience.  Yes, the kid is talented.  But not every 18 year old adapts to college the same way. If he hits the ground running, awesome.  But don't sound the alarm if he doesn't.

Just saw your "retired mod" thing.  I usually post on my phone.  That's funny.  

I'm not penciling him in as a starter, nor was I the one that said he'd get 24 minutes a game.  If he couldn't supplant DG or anyone else as the starting 2 guard, then great, that means DG is taking his senior role and this amazing opportunity to be the man by the reigns.  If he can overtake a senior then bam, home run pick up of May.  

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

With Durham, Green, Hunter, and RP... there isn't 24 mins a night to go around. 15-18 mins probably. 

I'm not sure how we can come to that conclusion. None of those guys have proven to be consistent college players.

The reality is all five guys (including LQ) bring some good things to the table, but it is likely that LQ is the best and most consistent shooter in that group. The odds of him playing the fewest minutes, given that there isn't any reason to think he has some big limitation in another area, seems small. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure how we can come to that conclusion. None of those guys have proven to be consistent college players.

The reality is all five guys (including LQ) bring some good things to the table, but it is likely that LQ is the best and most consistent shooter in that group. The odds of him playing the fewest minutes, given that there isn't any reason to think he has some big limitation in another area, seems small. 

Meh.. Durham and RP can play. So can Hunter. I'll be big time disappointed if LQ can play ahead of Green. I guess the RP mins are irrelevant because LQ is not playing the point. So.. Hunter, Green, and Durham... yeah I think they'd all play ahead of him. 

I would be surprised.. but very happy.. if LQ shot 41% from 3 like DG did this past year.  

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Meh.. Durham and RP can play. So can Hunter. I'll be big time disappointed if LQ can play ahead of Green. I guess the RP mins are irrelevant because LQ is not playing the point. So.. Hunter, Green, and Durham... yeah I think they'd all play ahead of him. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not sure how you can have any confidence at all in that statement.

Two guys who have been wildly inconsistent in the multiple seasons of data we have and a third guy who hasn't played. I'm not a huge recruiting rankings guys, but LQ is the highest ranked recruit of the group. 

My takeaway on LQ is it would be a wonderful get. He addresses what is probably our biggest need (shooting) and would give us 5 guys who have potential at 3 spots. How the playing time shakes out I think would be really hard to say at this point. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If LQ can shoot 40%+ from 3 - he gets 20 to 25 mins a game and he may be the best guard of that bunch (he is a top 50 player!). If the last two years have taught us anything - don't underestimate the value of outside shooting. If he struggles with his shot - he probably struggles to get consistent minutes.

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just not sure how you can have any confidence at all in that statement.

Two guys who have been wildly inconsistent in the multiple seasons of data we have and a third guy who hasn't played. I'm not a huge recruiting rankings guys, but LQ is the highest ranked recruit of the group. 

My takeaway on LQ is it would be a wonderful get. He addresses what is probably our biggest need (shooting) and would give us 5 guys who have potential at 3 spots. How the playing time shakes out I think would be really hard to say at this point. 

Well my statement is certainly a guess, I do spend a fair amount of time looking at playing time and stats and all that though. I thought Durham was pretty solid all year long until those final 2 games, at least I thought. 

24 mins a game.. throughout a season is quite a bit to avg for a FR. 

9 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

If LQ can shoot 40%+ from 3 - he gets 20 to 25 mins a game and he may be the best guard of that bunch (he is a top 50 player!). If the last two years have taught us anything - don't underestimate the value of outside shooting. If he struggles with his shot - he probably struggles to get consistent minutes.

Are there many 40%+ FR 3pt shooters with any sort of volume?

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Are there many 40%+ FR 3pt shooters with any sort of volume?

Looking at similarly ranked big ten shooting guards who were freshman in 2018 - Aaron Wiggins ranked #47 at Maryland shot 41.3% and Joe Weiskamp ranked #55 shot  42.4%.

So no - I don't think it is unreasonable to expect LQ to shoot 40%+ from 3 as a Freshman.

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well my statement is certainly a guess, I do spend a fair amount of time looking at playing time and stats and all that though. I thought Durham was pretty solid all year long until those final 2 games, at least I thought. 

24 mins a game.. throughout a season is quite a bit to avg for a FR. 

But you think Hunter, a lower rated freshman coming off of injury, will play that much? 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But you think Hunter, a lower rated freshman coming off of injury, will play that much? 

The rankings are irrelevant to me. I do know how high Romeo was on JH before he was injuried. He has also spent a year on campus, I do think that matters. 

Just now, btownqb said:

The rankings are irrelevant to me. I do know how high Romeo was on JH before he was injuried. He has also spent a year on campus, I do think that matters. 

Yeah, I'm not the biggest ranking guy in the world either, but when we have three inconsistent players and another freshman, I'm not sure how they can be ignored. 

28 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

Oh yes, the value of outside shooting is immense. If the last two years have taught us anything though, it's that only guys who can play our defense will see major minutes. He may be a good shooter but LQ will only see the floor if he plays defense and takes care of the ball. For better or worse that's how I see it going.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Hunter was a 4*, #59 in his class.  Q is a 4*, #49 in his class. 

To me, that's dead even when it comes to recruit rankings.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Hunter was a 4*, #59 in his class.  Q is a 4*, #49 in his class. 

To me, that's dead even when it comes to recruit rankings.

Okay.... then how do you justify the guy coming off of injury playing more? 

I'm not saying he is wrong, just that any certainty that LQ is automatically the 5th guy in that group seems to be based on nothing. 

Archived