Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay.... then how do you justify the guy coming off of injury playing more? 

I'm not saying he is wrong, just that any certainty that LQ is automatically the 5th guy in that group seems to be based on nothing. 

I think our 1st 3 guards will be Rob, Durham and Green.  Anything beyond that is still up in the air.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think our 1st 3 guards will be Rob, Durham and Green.  Anything beyond that is still up in the air.

They could be, but I think ruling out two really talented freshmen from that equation is premature. It isn't like those guys have been a model of success and consistency - we've done nothing but lose games with those three. 

I'm not blaming them for that, but it is the reality is we couldn't win games when they were expected to be complementary pieces and now we think we can count on them to be the guys on a winning program? I see all 5 games as question marks that have potential. 

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm thinking Rob then Green then Al. Green will be a Sr and I think the light has really turned on for him. I'm expecting big things from him. Damezi was regarded as a good shooter and we see how he had to adjust. At this point, no way of knowing if Lester will push for a starting spot or take time to get up to speed with Archies system and B1G 10 play. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just saying, the key word is patience.  Yes, the kid is talented.  But not every 18 year old adapts to college the same way. If he hits the ground running, awesome.  But don't sound the alarm if he doesn't.

Patience is running out though.  Archie has to get this team to the Dance next year or his seat will be hot.  And when the seat gets hot... recruits will look elsewhere.    That's just how it is.

LQ could be the key.   He can shoot and he's got some size.    I like Devonte and Al but they have been so inconsistent.   I'm not going to name them starters just because they are upperclassmen.   Experience is great but right now all we got is guys experienced in losing.

I still have to wonder what Penny is feeding him right now.   I mean really what is he saying to him..."Uh we want you bad but just know we have 2 more guards ranked higher than you that we are in the lead for.   They're both better than you but we will start you probabaly".  Smh

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

With Durham, Green, Hunter, and RP... there isn't 24 mins a night to go around. 15-18 mins probably. 

Maybe not 24 unless he is playing really good but I see 20 easy. We lost Romeo who avg 34 mins a game...I can’t see Hunter playing all those...at least not all at the 3...I even expect to see 4-5 mins at the 4 for him if we go small so there is most likely 12-15 mins at the 3 to be had. Justin will likely lose mins and of course we have more mins at the 5 that Brunk and TJD will share from Morgan leaving. I don’t think Al will avg 28 mins a game again. He should avg closer to 20 unless he takes a big jump in his shooting. I love his effort but he just is limited offensively. I think you can easily get 12 at the 3 for Lester and 8 at the two....Green should split 12-12 at the pg and two. That leaves the 8 at the two for Lester....again if he is as advertised. Romeo played a ton of minutes...Jerome won’t be able to play that many...and Al shouldn’t play almost 29 a game...he had too out of necessity. 20 mins a game is fine for him...at least with Lester we have enough shooters to ride the hot hand.

14 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Patience is running out though.  Archie has to get this team to the Dance next year or his seat will be hot.  And when the seat gets hot... recruits will look elsewhere.    That's just how it is.

LQ could be the key.   He can shoot and he's got some size.    I like Devonte and Al but they have been so inconsistent.   I'm not going to name them starters just because they are upperclassmen.   Experience is great but right now all we got is guys experienced in losing.

I still have to wonder what Penny is feeding him right now.   I mean really what is he saying to him..."Uh we want you bad but just know we have 2 more guards ranked higher than you that we are in the lead for.   They're both better than you but we will start you probabaly".  Smh

Go Hoosiers!!!

We are not going to miss the NCAA this year, so no need to start the hot seat discussion.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe not 24 unless he is playing really good but I see 20 easy. We lost Romeo who avg 34 mins a game...I can’t see Hunter playing all those...at least not all at the 3...I even expect to see 4-5 mins at the 4 for him if we go small so there is most likely 12-15 mins at the 3 to be had. Justin will likely lose mins and of course we have more mins at the 5 that Brunk and TJD will share from Morgan leaving. I don’t think Al will avg 28 mins a game again. He should avg closer to 20 unless he takes a big jump in his shooting. I love his effort but he just is limited offensively. I think you can easily get 12 at the 3 for Lester and 8 at the two....Green should split 12-12 at the pg and two. That leaves the 8 at the two for Lester....again if he is as advertised. Romeo played a ton of minutes...Jerome won’t be able to play that many...and Al shouldn’t play almost 29 a game...he had too out of necessity. 20 mins a game is fine for him...at least with Lester we have enough shooters to ride the hot hand.

He already took one big jump in his shooting. He shot 35% from 3 last year... and hovered around 37-38% a good portion of the season. I don't see him limited offensively, I see him as an underclassmen. I think he could easily avg 10p a game this year and shoot 38% from 3. 

Rabjohns laughed about the hot seat talk. Said Archie gets at least four years almost regardless what the results are next season.

We should probably put the hot seat talk to rest. Unless Archie is caught sleeping with Fred Glass's wife, a fourth season is a foregone conclusion. 

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Rabjohns laughed about the hot seat talk. Said Archie gets at least four years almost regardless what the results are next season.

We should probably put the hot seat talk to rest. Unless Archie is caught sleeping with Fred Glass's wife, a fourth season is a foregone conclusion. 

As it should be in my opinion. Give him a cycle of his own recruits to develop and establish a system. This generation of people want instant results for everything, and it just doesn't work that way. Not gonna beat that dead horse again!

19 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

As it should be in my opinion. Give him a cycle of his own recruits to develop and establish a system. This generation of people want instant results for everything, and it just doesn't work that way. Not gonna beat that dead horse again!

Yeah blame the generation. Because it’s not like every generation has said the same thing about younger people. 

And in regards to no hot seat of course Archie gets 4 years but failing 3 straight years will cool off recruiting more than it already is. Will become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah blame the generation. Because it’s not like every generation has said the same thing about younger people. 

And in regards to no hot seat of course Archie gets 4 years but failing 3 straight years will cool off recruiting more than it already is. Will become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

I think the perception that Archie is on the hot seat hurts recruiting more than anything.  Every coach going against Archie in recruiting will bring this fact up ever time they get a chance an tell recruits that the fans are turning on him already and won't be there in two years.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This generation has more opportunities for instant gratification than in the past. Likes/views on social media are instant. That's all I'm saying. I get what you're saying as well, and agree. 

42 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh he gets 4 years from me.  I know it takes time.  But if we stink it up next year(miss the Dance/ long losing streak) Archie's seat will be hot.  It just will.   And that can and will kill any momentum with recruiting.  

I don't have lofty expectations for next year with what we have.  I'd be happy with a top half of the B1G finish and a bid to the tournament.  That's not too much to ask.   I mean seriously if after 3 years a coach making a Top 10 salary can't get his team in the Top 68 in March something is wrong.  

I really hope we get it together next year.  LQ would be a huge plus.

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Oh he gets 4 years from me.  I know it takes time.  But if we stink it up next year(miss the Dance/ long losing streak) Archie's seat will be hot.  It just will.   And that can and will kill any momentum with recruiting.  

I don't have lofty expectations for next year with what we have.  I'd be happy with a top half of the B1G finish and a bid to the tournament.  That's not too much to ask.   I mean seriously if after 3 years a coach making a Top 10 salary can't get his team in the Top 68 in March something is wrong.  

I really hope we get it together next year.  LQ would be a huge plus.

Go Hoosiers!!!

to be fair... it's not the top 68

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the perception that Archie is on the hot seat hurts recruiting more than anything.  Every coach going against Archie in recruiting will bring this fact up ever time they get a chance an tell recruits that the fans are turning on him already and won't be there in two years.

Then coach your way off of it.  All he had to do was make the dance this year.  That should have been very easy given our roster.  Now we need to make the dance this season or he's toast.  It is what it is Scott.  We gave Crean a near decade so we're a very patient fan base with top notch resources.  It won't be hard to find a quality replacement if that time comes.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then coach your way off of it.  All he had to do was make the dance this year.  That should have been very easy given our roster.  Now we need to make the dance this season or he's toast.  It is what it is Scott.  We gave Crean a near decade so we're a very patient fan base with top notch resources.  It won't be hard to find a quality replacement if that time comes.

Fans did not give Crean a near decade because a lot were calling for his head after year 3.  Just because he was not fired doesn't mean the fans were patient but the administration was.  Also the last 3 times we had an opening I did not see great coaches breaking down the door for this job so if we keep firing coaches after a few years it will be harder to get any quality coach to look at this job.

39 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Like I said he gets 4 years from me.  But you can't tell me his seat won't be hot if we struggle again next year.   And I'm not talking about us winning a championship of any kind as an expectation.  But expecting to play in March in year 3 isn't much to ask for.  Is it?  

I'm 52 btw so you must be really old. Jk

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yea, yea 68, 66.  Whatever it takes.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

There are 68 teams but it is not the top 68 teams in the country with all the automatic bids.  If you don't win your conference then you have to be one of the top 36 teams in the country.

Archived