Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Like I said he gets 4 years from me.  But you can't tell me his seat won't be hot if we struggle again next year.   And I'm not talking about us winning a championship of any kind as an expectation.  But expecting to play in March in year 3 isn't much to ask for.  Is it?  

I'm 52 btw so you must be really old. Jk

Go Hoosiers!!!

I think you pretty much nailed it. Unless we implode again next year, year four is a guarantee. However, missing the tournament next year puts his seat on fire making year four a win or else year. 

There are some who will disagree because they think he should be gone if we miss the NCAA next year. There are others who will disagree because they can’t imagine the possibility that Archie isn’t some sort of basketball savant. 

For the record, I think they should make it in next year putting this rest. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Fans did not give Crean a near decade because a lot were calling for his head after year 3.  Just because he was not fired doesn't mean the fans were patient but the administration was.  Also the last 3 times we had an opening I did not see great coaches breaking down the door for this job so if we keep firing coaches after a few years it will be harder to get any quality coach to look at this job.

So you are saying IU can miss the tournament next year and the year after and not fire the coach?  Come on man.  The head coach has got to be accountable. 

AND no I'm not calling for his head now or even next year if we suck.   Just being realistic.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There are 68 teams but it is not the top 68 teams in the country with all the automatic bids.  If you don't win your conference then you have to be one of the top 36 teams in the country.

Really? 

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So you are saying IU can miss the tournament next year and the year after and not fire the coach?  Come on man.  The head coach has got to be accountable. 

AND no I'm not calling for his head now or even next year if we suck.   Just being realistic.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Where did I say that but why not wait until we see how it plays out until we decide if he can coach or not.  I have always said that you have to give any coach 4 years to see if he is the right guy or not and right now we are half way there with Archie.  if after 4 years he has not made the tournament then yes it would be time to look at a change but not before then.  I still think if Archie does not work out and we have to fire him after 4 years then our list of candidates won't be very strong.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where did I say that but why not wait until we see how it plays out until we decide if he can coach or not.  I have always said that you have to give any coach 4 years to see if he is the right guy or not and right now we are half way there with Archie.  if after 4 years he has not made the tournament then yes it would be time to look at a change but not before then.  I still think if Archie does not work out and we have to fire him after 4 years then our list of candidates won't be very strong.

I didnt say you did.  Just seeing where you were if it happened.  I think we are on the same page.  I said I give him 4 years.  I just think a miss next year makes his seat hot.  And that isn't good for recruiting or the program.

Go Hoosiers!!!

47 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think you pretty much nailed it. Unless we implode again next year, year four is a guarantee. However, missing the tournament next year puts his seat on fire making year four a win or else year. 

There are some who will disagree because they think he should be gone if we miss the NCAA next year. There are others who will disagree because they can’t imagine the possibility that Archie isn’t some sort of basketball savant. 

For the record, I think they should make it in next year putting this rest. 

Only thing I would change is year 4 is guaranteed even if we do implode again. Other than that, well said.

1 minute ago, IUaic said:

Only thing I would change is year 4 is guaranteed even if we do implode again. Other than that, well said.

You are probably right. I definitely think year four would be highly likely even with implosion, just not guaranteed. A hair length difference between those two stances. 

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Nope.  Friday May 10th announcement, 5 PM EST, Memphis / IU Final 2, no reason to believe he is going anywhere other than Memphis.

Maybe this will be another Jared Jefferies/Noah Vonleh last minute suprise.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Maybe a shoe company will incentivize him to come our way....it makes me so sick to watch nothing happen to any of these coaches etc. I know money running was going on for decades but now it’s organized and the shoe companies are running it. If Addidas can’t find us better players than why are we letting them use our University for advertising?

ok in all seriousness hopefully Lester gets wind that Boogie or Hampton is going to Memphis and he feels he has a better opportunity at IU. Unfortunately it seems he will commit before those kids so it may not matter he may already be committed when they choose.

6 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

As it should be in my opinion. Give him a cycle of his own recruits to develop and establish a system. This generation of people want instant results for everything, and it just doesn't work that way. Not gonna beat that dead horse again!

Hard to say people are impatient when we haven't sniffed a final 4 since 2002.  That is a long time.  I am not surprised the fans are impatient and want results immediately.  And personally, i don't think it takes a good coach 4 years to show results. 

This isn't Indiana State where we are lucky to have a 3 star player.  This is a high level Big time basketball school with plenty of talent on the team, regardless of who recruited them.  Does he need more than 2 years.  Yes, but unfortunately the 2 years he has had have been disappointing and with less success than the coach we fired for the exact same type of results. 

But please don't blame this generation of fans.  I am 45 and have watched IU basketball since i was about 10 and i am just a little fed up with mediocrity.  Unfortunately though i am more apathetic than i am upset.  

Some contract info:

1. If IU wants to buyout his contract, IU would owe Miller 100-percent of his remaining salary before March 31, 2022 and 50-percent of his remaining salary any date after that

2. This year he was the 13th highest paid coach of 2018

3. Miller’s base salary is $550,000 per year, payable in monthly installments. For his outside marketing and promotion, he will receive between $1.65 and $1.95 million a year. This income begins at $1,650,000 a year and increases by $50,000 every year

image.png.545c840bedb029d65adff6ce598d74ae.png

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah blame the generation. Because it’s not like every generation has said the same thing about younger people. 

And in regards to no hot seat of course Archie gets 4 years but failing 3 straight years will cool off recruiting more than it already is. Will become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Yes everyone has spoke bad about the younger generation but this time we really mean it...

😈🤪

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Hard to say people are impatient when we haven't sniffed a final 4 since 2002.  That is a long time.  I am not surprised the fans are impatient and want results immediately.  And personally, i don't think it takes a good coach 4 years to show results. 

This isn't Indiana State where we are lucky to have a 3 star player.  This is a high level Big time basketball school with plenty of talent on the team, regardless of who recruited them.  Does he need more than 2 years.  Yes, but unfortunately the 2 years he has had have been disappointing and with less success than the coach we fired for the exact same type of results. 

But please don't blame this generation of fans.  I am 45 and have watched IU basketball since i was about 10 and i am just a little fed up with mediocrity.  Unfortunately though i am more apathetic than i am upset.  

Some contract info:

1. If IU wants to buyout his contract, IU would owe Miller 100-percent of his remaining salary before March 31, 2022 and 50-percent of his remaining salary any date after that

2. This year he was the 13th highest paid coach of 2018

3. Miller’s base salary is $550,000 per year, payable in monthly installments. For his outside marketing and promotion, he will receive between $1.65 and $1.95 million a year. This income begins at $1,650,000 a year and increases by $50,000 every year

image.png.545c840bedb029d65adff6ce598d74ae.png

Well...then...let’s go Archie! :)

Guys I’m 36....was just sharing an opinion bc I’m a middle/high school teacher. I’m not saying anyone in particular, but many people want answers immediately, and I was just simply stating it’s more difficult than some think. The playing field seems to have leveled a lot in the past few years. I’m all for arch and being successful. The first game I ever watched start to finish was Syracuse in ‘87...been kinda hooked since! 

5 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Really? 

32 of the 68 bids go to conference tournament winners, so theoretically, top 36.  That number shrinks for every big conference tournament upset winner that snags a berth.  It's probably more like the top 30 non-conference-tournament winners.

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

32 of the 68 bids go to conference tournament winners, so theoretically, top 36.  That number shrinks for every big conference tournament upset winner that snags a berth.  It's probably more like the top 30 non-conference-tournament winners.

"Really" was... Yeah I know how it works.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Might be time to close the books on this class. Internal issues or not, you can't lose 12 of 13 games.

Have to win next year and that's all there is to it. Gonna be a long off-season. 

Yep.  Archie is just going to have to make due with the group he has and figure out a way to win with said group.  It’s certainly possible, a lot of talent there to work with, but it is concerning that Archie couldn’t pull in someone that can at least be serviceable from the perimeter.

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

That is not how it works. The top 36 are guaranteed to make it. In practice 10-15 of the tournament winners would be in anyway, so it is the top 50 or so teams that make the tournament.  

Archived