Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Then we will keep repeat and rinse because there will be no homerun hires and will have to hope we hit one out of the park.  Some just think because we are Indiana that we will have the pick of the litter of coaches when we have openings and that has been so far from the truth in the past.  Unless Donovan or Stevens wants to come back to college we ill have to hire an up and comer and there are no guarantees there.  Archie was considered the hottest young coach in the country and some want him gone after 2 years. 

If some of our fans were in charge at UVA  they would have  fired  Bennett since he did not make the tournament the first few years at UVA.

It doesn't happen too often, but I gotta agree with Scott. We won't get anybody better because a. the pressure and b. we'll have a bad rap for not giving coaches enough time. Take the rose colored glasses off and ask yourself what proven coach wants to walk into that buzzsaw. If we get somebody of the same caliber as CAM then we'll be in the same situation 2-3 years after that - it will just be an endless cycle. 

If Archie has a bad season next year, I still think the administration gives him another year and they should. Yes, I'll be frustrated and I may yell at the him through the TV, but it'll be a catch 22. I'd rather just stay with the hand we were dealt in this scenario and give it another year. 

That said, and being a sunshine pumper right now, I think we make tournament next year and things will start looking up. The naysayers will compare him to Holtman, the sunshine pumpers will compare him to Bennet, but the reality is that all those comparisons are apple to oranges. There are simply too many variables to make an accurate coaching comparison. All we know is that Archie is about as far as an opposite to Crean as you will get - it will take time. The team went off the rails last year and caught the injury bug, BUT they still did improve. We did get glimpses of some GREAT defense. AND in the end, we were only ONE win away from the tournament in a season filled with close, unlucky and excruciating losses.

#teamsunshinepumper

Edit: Sorry for the CAPS, but when I find the need to pump sunshine I learn from the best sunshine pumper in the history of IU forums: Craighoops

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well there were plenty of  your friends over at rivals that have been calling for his head starting in January.

You are talking about two posters out of hundreds. There are nearly as many negative posters over there as you claim there too be. 

22 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

You are talking about two posters out of hundreds. There are nearly as many negative posters over there as you claim there too be. 

I agree. I read many “disappointment  posts” but virtually no “fire him posts”. 

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree. I read many “disappointment  posts” but virtually no “fire him posts”. 

Because most IU fans want him to have succeess. Despite what some people think 99% of people on these boards do not want IU to fail. Alot of people are just every frusturated with the state of the program right now. 

6 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Because most IU fans want him to have succeess. Despite what some people think 99% of people on these boards do not want IU to fail. Alot of people are just every frusturated with the state of the program right now. 

Repeating myself again, take the discussion outside of this recruitment to another thread.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then we will keep repeat and rinse because there will be no homerun hires and will have to hope we hit one out of the park.  Some just think because we are Indiana that we will have the pick of the litter of coaches when we have openings and that has been so far from the truth in the past.  Unless Donovan or Stevens wants to come back to college we ill have to hire an up and comer and there are no guarantees there.  Archie was considered the hottest young coach in the country and some want him gone after 2 years. 

If some of our fans were in charge at UVA  they would have  fired  Bennett since he did not make the tournament the first few years at UVA.

I have yet to hear of a single poster say that he wants him gone after two years. I cannot even think of a single poster who wants him gone already after next year. I’ve only heard people say that if he has another year again his seat is going to be really hot and it might be hard for him to recover if he can’t at all. I think that’s a very reasonable opinion. Do you believe that if he has a year like last year again this next year that that will be an easy hole for him to dig out of?I have yet to hear of a single poster say that he wants him gone after two years. I cannot even think of a single poster who wants him gone already after next year. I’ve only heard people say that if he has another year again his seat is going to be really hot and it might be hard for him to recover if he can’t at all. I think that’s a very reasonable opinion. Do you believe that if he has a year like last year again this next year that that will be an easy hole for him to dig out of?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly and why keep doing the same thing over and over again with the same results.

So you are one of those people that keeps bringing up this myth that we have a 3 or 4 year revolving door of coaches, you are completely wrong on that.

I looked into this and had a post on another board about it:

Going back to Everett Dean we have had 3 coaches who coached less than 5 years. Kelvin Sampson (sanctions), Jerry Oliver (interim year), and Harry Good (WW2). This idea that Indiana does not give coaches a chance is asinine. Mike Davis got 6 and Tom Crean got 9. Sampson only got 2 but that was his fault for the phone calls and running a program that was bringing in a criminal element so that nobody wanted to protect him. Watson got 5 years (split with one interim year by Oliver.) You have to go back to the early 1920's to find a real revolving door.

You can keep repeating the revolving door stuff but it is a complete fabrication.  Miller will probably get until 2022 if the contract details I saw were true about his payout if let go before then, but to say that Indiana has been an impatient fanbase is a complete crock.  And pointing to a couple people on a message board who wanted to make moves earlier is not support for your position.  The majority of fans stuck with previous coaches longer than a few years.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So you are one of those people that keeps bringing up this myth that we have a 3 or 4 year revolving door of coaches, you are completely wrong on that.

I looked into this and had a post on another board about it:

Going back to Everett Dean we have had 3 coaches who coached less than 5 years. Kelvin Sampson (sanctions), Jerry Oliver (interim year), and Harry Good (WW2). This idea that Indiana does not give coaches a chance is asinine. Mike Davis got 6 and Tom Crean got 9. Sampson only got 2 but that was his fault for the phone calls and running a program that was bringing in a criminal element so that nobody wanted to protect him. Watson got 5 years (split with one interim year by Oliver.) You have to go back to the early 1920's to find a real revolving door.

You can keep repeating the revolving door stuff but it is a complete fabrication.  Miller will probably get until 2022 if the contract details I saw were true about his payout if let go before then, but to say that Indiana has been an impatient fanbase is a complete crock.  And pointing to a couple people on a message board who wanted to make moves earlier is not support for your position.  The majority of fans stuck with previous coaches longer than a few years.

Do the math since 2000 we are on our 6th coach RMK, Davis, Samson, DD, Crean and Miller.  I am saying if you start changing coaches after 3 years you candidates will dwindle.

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Those odds look pretty long on LQ, but it's not over until it is I guess.  Lester likely trying to beat the rush at Memphis from what I can see.  The question is, where does everyone else go?

Not a shock at all to be honest. I do not think anyone really thought he was going to pick IU as memphis is the flavor or the month right now. 

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do the math since 2000 we are on our 6th coach RMK, Davis, Samson, DD, Crean and Miller.  I am saying if you start changing coaches after 3 years you candidates will dwindle.

Talk about skewing math to try and support your position. That’s ridiculous.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I am not happy about the number of coaches, I am just alarmed by the lack of good coaches in that bunch! The IU administration has really dropped this ball! Davis had ample time to show what he could do. What I remember is every year it got worse. Samson we all know why he had to go. Crean got worse every year after he lost Zeller an that group early to the NBA draft. He never really recovered if I remember right. Some of our short coming now are the result of his recruiting. DD he just filled in. Impossible for him to show us he could but really ? Now Miller, I think he can coach, we need shooters. When Devonte started making shots things open up. We beat some big teams. If we’re having trouble recruiting then Archie needs to figure out how to get the kids he needs! If he can’t then he will be in trouble and should be. The NCAA finale four is full of great players that no one knew until they made the final four. He needs to get some hungry kids with chips on their shoulders. 

Memphis has all the hype etc so everyone just assumes he is going there. IU has much better campus, facilities, trainers, and yes I think coach...there are plenty of reasons to believe we have a shot...we also play much better competition on national tv...a lot more exposure. There is only one basketball and there are a lot more mouths to feed in Memphis than here at IU were it will be much more team oriented and actually we will look for someone to help with the scoring from him.

Archived