Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Memphis has all the hype etc so everyone just assumes he is going there. IU has much better campus, facilities, trainers, and yes I think coach...there are plenty of reasons to believe we have a shot...we also play much better competition on national tv...a lot more exposure. There is only one basketball and there are a lot more mouths to feed in Memphis than here at IU were it will be much more team oriented and actually we will look for someone to help with the scoring from him.

You have me sold! 🙂

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Do the math since 2000 we are on our 6th coach RMK, Davis, Samson, DD, Crean and Miller.  I am saying if you start changing coaches after 3 years you candidates will dwindle.

RMK was here for 27 years, Davis for 6, Sampson for 2, counting Dan Dakich is pretty flimsy given he coached what, six games or so on an interim basis?  He was not hired, he was a caretaker put in place to finish out the year.  Crean was here for 9.  So really outside of Kelvin Sampson who was fired by way of phone calls for turning the b-ball team into Felon U. and Dan taking over because the firing came in the middle of the year, we were averaging a little over 5 years per coach.

Going back to 1924 our coaches average nearly 9 years on the job.  We have had 11 coaches during that timeframe.  One of them coached for 3 years because Branch McCracken was involved in WW2.

Now I am not arguing to fire Miller, but I just get tired of people acting like we have had a revolving door here.  I would assert that our reluctance to fire coaches sooner than we have is part of why the program is in the shape it is in.  It is another item that the administration can take the blame for in their push to de-empbasize the basketball program.  The people that run IU have made just about every bad decision you could make since Knight was fired and part of it was based on logic like yours.

This is my point WE ARE IU. Alabama football had 4 coaches from 2003 to 2007. Then they quit trying to fine coaches of smaller schools to be these homerun coaches. They went out to hire Nick Saban who coached Mich St and LSU  big Programs and was a proven Winner at those schools. Proven big time coaches. I’ll give Archie next year, must show big time improvement. If not go after big time coaches, start talking to the Mark Fews guys in that caliber! Am I wrong 

39 minutes ago, Bob said:

This is my point WE ARE IU. Alabama football had 4 coaches from 2003 to 2007. Then they quit trying to fine coaches of smaller schools to be these homerun coaches. They went out to hire Nick Saban who coached Mich St and LSU  big Programs and was a proven Winner at those schools. Proven big time coaches. I’ll give Archie next year, must show big time improvement. If not go after big time coaches, start talking to the Mark Fews guys in that caliber! Am I wrong 

Wasn’t nick saban failing with the dolphins before he went to Alabama?

This board is borderline unbearable with doom & gloom. Archie is our coach! Such a fragile fan base the way we move from hot to cold on a guy over one year. Not one single player or coach at IU has been exempt from going through a down stretch!

as for Lester Q, best of luck! Not too heartbroken to lose this recruiting battle. 

1 minute ago, DocHoosier said:

This board is borderline unbearable with doom & gloom. Archie is our coach! Such a fragile fan base the way we move from hot to cold on a guy over one year. Not one single player or coach at IU has been exempt from going through a down stretch!

as for Lester Q, best of luck! Not too heartbroken to lose this recruiting battle. 

We are nowhere near as bad as UK fans. UNC fans ran Gut and and the guy who followed him out of town pretty damn fast. 

Those schools are serious about their basketball programs and are actually able to make great hires while our school really doesn't know what the hell it's doing. They claim to have blue bloods expectations while shopping in the bargain bin and then wonder why we aren't winning or respected.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I am not happy about the number of coaches, I am just alarmed by the lack of good coaches in that bunch! The IU administration has really dropped this ball! Davis had ample time to show what he could do. What I remember is every year it got worse. Samson we all know why he had to go. Crean got worse every year after he lost Zeller an that group early to the NBA draft. He never really recovered if I remember right. Some of our short coming now are the result of his recruiting. DD he just filled in. Impossible for him to show us he could but really ? Now Miller, I think he can coach, we need shooters. When Devonte started making shots things open up. We beat some big teams. If we’re having trouble recruiting then Archie needs to figure out how to get the kids he needs! If he can’t then he will be in trouble and should be. The NCAA finale four is full of great players that no one knew until they made the final four. He needs to get some hungry kids with chips on their shoulders. 

I agree and think that Sampson is still likely here if not for the sanctions etc.. I absolutely can’t stand that he couldn’t follow the rules, as minor as they may have been, even if it was perfectly legal the next season... the guy put IUBB in a position that it’s never seen before and we still haven’t recovered from. That being said, the guy could flat out coach the game, and I think that we could honestly have hung another banner or two of those sanctions never happen. 

8 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I agree and think that Sampson is still likely here if not for the sanctions etc.. I absolutely can’t stand that he couldn’t follow the rules, as minor as they may have been, even if it was perfectly legal the next season... the guy put IUBB in a position that it’s never seen before and we still haven’t recovered from. That being said, the guy could flat out coach the game, and I think that we could honestly have hung another banner or two of those sanctions never happen. 

Rabjohns was pretty adamant in a recent Peegs podcast that the phone call violation was NOT the reason Kelvin was let go.  That was just the excuse given to fire him after he lost control of his program.  Too many of the players he recruited (1) did not attend class and (2) did not pass drug tests (even showed up drunk laughing about failing).  There were rumors of unsavory "associates" of the players hanging around the team and even rumors of drug dealing (and not just weed).  To put it bluntly, there were a bunch of thugs on the team.  It was bad enough that Eric Gordon moved off campus to get away from it.

Did Kelvin learn from that experience or will the problems resurface in Houston?  Stay tuned...

6 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

We are nowhere near as bad as UK fans. UNC fans ran Gut and and the guy who followed him out of town pretty damn fast. 

Those schools are serious about their basketball programs and are actually able to make great hires while our school really doesn't know what the hell it's doing. They claim to have blue bloods expectations while shopping in the bargain bin and then wonder why we aren't winning or respected.

Saying we aren’t “as bad” as the worst fan base in the nation is hardly defending ourselves. Kentucky fans blow—let’s stop using them as the marker for comparisons. 

3 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Saying we aren’t “as bad” as the worst fan base in the nation is hardly defending ourselves. Kentucky fans blow—let’s stop using them as the marker for comparisons. 

And as terrible as they are, it sure hasn't hurt their recruiting or on court success. We need to stop using that as an excuse.

Notre Dame football fans bought billboards and space in the student newspaper advocating for Kelly and Swarbrick to be fired a few years ago when they went 4-8. They are doing just fine.

Maybe Indiana University just needs to get their (edit: please watch the language-blue)  together when it comes to their basketball program. 

Just now, Long Duk Dong said:

And as terrible as they are, it sure hasn't hurt their recruiting or on court success. We need to stop using that as an excuse.

Notre Dame football fans bought billboards and space in the student newspaper advocating for Kelly and Swarbrick to be fired a few years ago when they went 4-8. They are doing just fine.

Maybe Indiana University just needs to get their shit together when it comes to their basketball program. 

Brian Kelly changed his coaching style and complete staff.... he made the adjustments necessary to succeed

9 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

We have missed the NCAA tournament 7 of the last 11 years and our new coach has missed it the past 2.  We lost our 2 leading scorers off a team that struggled to score for a good portion of the year.  We had an internal issue that I believe was related to Romeo Langford but I had people fighting tooth and nail to defend the kid, so if it was not related to him, then the internal issue is probably still on the team.  I do not think that was the case but perhaps that topic, while interesting, is still verboten.  I think one could make the assertion that losing Romeo may end up being addition by subtraction.....

We have 11 players on scholarship.  3 of them have been injury prone their entire IU career.  A 4th had an issue with a concussion last year.  We bring in a pretty good big man who is not a OAD talent, so I think expectations for him should be tempered.  He should be good but I doubt he replaces Morgan's production.  We have Franklin who is rated around where most of our guards not named after a Shakespearean character were ranked last year, so expecting much more out of him than Rob or Damezi is kind of unrealistic IMO.  And we have Brunk who is a good pickup but he was not all world at Butler.

We have question marks everywhere this year.  There is not 1 position that I think you can be really comfortable in what you are going to get.  PG?  Do we get Rob against Butler or do we get end of year Rob?  SG?  Do we get good Green for most of year or do we get high turnover and bad shot selection Green?  SF?  Is Hunter going to be healthy enough to play?  If he is not, what do we do here?  PF?  How will TJD's game translate to college?  Does Justin Smith still play this position?  Will he still play like a lazy butt if he does?  Center?  How does Brunk integrate into the team?  Is Davis healthy?  Can he stay healthy?

Again, based on what we actually know right now, our ceiling would appear to be barely squeaking into the tournament.  Our middling will be a year similar to the one we just had.  Disaster would be like year one of the Miller regime.  The largest part of our bell curve is still centered around not being a tournament team right now.  That would be missing 4 years in a row and 8 out of the last 12.  What exactly does it take to hit the panic button?

Now that is not saying that there may be hope.  Purdue was looking to be really pedestrian at the beginning of last year and they ended up in the Elite 8.  Sometimes magic happens, but I don't necessarily believe you can build expectations off of magic.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We have missed the NCAA tournament 7 of the last 11 years and our new coach has missed it the past 2.  We lost our 2 leading scorers off a team that struggled to score for a good portion of the year.  We had an internal issue that I believe was related to Romeo Langford but I had people fighting tooth and nail to defend the kid, so if it was not related to him, then the internal issue is probably still on the team.  I do not think that was the case but perhaps that topic, while interesting, is still verboten.  I think one could make the assertion that losing Romeo may end up being addition by subtraction.....

We have 11 players on scholarship.  3 of them have been injury prone their entire IU career.  A 4th had an issue with a concussion last year.  We bring in a pretty good big man who is not a OAD talent, so I think expectations for him should be tempered.  He should be good but I doubt he replaces Morgan's production.  We have Franklin who is rated around where most of our guards not named after a Shakespearean character were ranked last year, so expecting much more out of him than Rob or Damezi is kind of unrealistic IMO.  And we have Brunk who is a good pickup but he was not all world at Butler.

We have question marks everywhere this year.  There is not 1 position that I think you can be really comfortable in what you are going to get.  PG?  Do we get Rob against Butler or do we get end of year Rob?  SG?  Do we get good Green for most of year or do we get high turnover and bad shot selection Green?  SF?  Is Hunter going to be healthy enough to play?  If he is not, what do we do here?  PF?  How will TJD's game translate to college?  Does Justin Smith still play this position?  Will he still play like a lazy butt if he does?  Center?  How does Brunk integrate into the team?  Is Davis healthy?  Can he stay healthy?

Again, based on what we actually know right now, our ceiling would appear to be barely squeaking into the tournament.  Our middling will be a year similar to the one we just had.  Disaster would be like year one of the Miller regime.  The largest part of our bell curve is still centered around not being a tournament team right now.  That would be missing 4 years in a row and 8 out of the last 12.  What exactly does it take to hit the panic button?

Now that is not saying that there may be hope.  Purdue was looking to be really pedestrian at the beginning of last year and they ended up in the Elite 8.  Sometimes magic happens, but I don't necessarily believe you can build expectations off of magic.

I can promise you Devonte Green is much more of a problem than Romeo Langford could ever possibly be. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I can promise you Devonte Green is much more of a problem than Romeo Langford could ever possibly be. 

And if that is the case, he is still on the team.  If he is a big cause of the lockerroom issue this past year, is it not worrisome that he is a senior and is probably going to be looked at to be a leader on the team?

Like I said, there are a TON of issues surrounding this team right now that should be setting off alarms and yet anyone who looks at what is plainly in all of our faces is being treated like a leper.  Whether some of you want to admit it or not, we may have a really big problem.  

And I think Miller is a pretty good coach to be honest, sometimes one decision can sink you though.  You get so far behind that you just never catch up.  I am a bit worried that is happening to him right now.

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And if that is the case, he is still on the team.  If he is a big cause of the lockerroom issue this past year, is it not worrisome that he is a senior and is probably going to be looked at to be a leader on the team?

Like I said, there are a TON of issues surrounding this team right now that should be setting off alarms and yet anyone who looks at what is plainly in all of our faces is being treated like a leper.  Whether some of you want to admit it or not, we may have a really big problem.  

And I think Miller is a pretty good coach to be honest, sometimes one decision can sink you though.  You get so far behind that you just never catch up.  I am a bit worried that is happening to him right now.

I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about any of this, especially in LQ thread. I just wanted to point out Romeo wasn't an issue. 

21 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Last couple of few sentences is exactly my fear as well. By the time it takes him to dig out of IU's hole it's going to be a bit late. 

21 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Patience, young grasshopper!  

kung-fu.jpg

11 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

RMK was here for 27 years, Davis for 6, Sampson for 2, counting Dan Dakich is pretty flimsy given he coached what, six games or so on an interim basis?  He was not hired, he was a caretaker put in place to finish out the year.  Crean was here for 9.  So really outside of Kelvin Sampson who was fired by way of phone calls for turning the b-ball team into Felon U. and Dan taking over because the firing came in the middle of the year, we were averaging a little over 5 years per coach.

Going back to 1924 our coaches average nearly 9 years on the job.  We have had 11 coaches during that timeframe.  One of them coached for 3 years because Branch McCracken was involved in WW2.

Now I am not arguing to fire Miller, but I just get tired of people acting like we have had a revolving door here.  I would assert that our reluctance to fire coaches sooner than we have is part of why the program is in the shape it is in.  It is another item that the administration can take the blame for in their push to de-empbasize the basketball program.  The people that run IU have made just about every bad decision you could make since Knight was fired and part of it was based on logic like yours.

It is not a revolving door but my main point is it is the fans that cause the perception of IU being impatient.  The administration isn't impatient but the fans are and the first sign of trouble the fans lose it and start calling for the coaches head.  I just think the fans need to start showing some patience and stop calling for coaches head after 2 or 3 years.  Most coaches won't leave their establish job for IU because they know if they don't turn it around right away they will lose the fan base.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about any of this, especially in LQ thread. I just wanted to point out Romeo wasn't an issue. 

Fair enough, my hope honestly is that he kind of was.  If that was the case then I could kind of hope for a better lockerroom by him leaving.  If that is not right, then "Danger Will Robinson!!!  Danger!!"

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is not a revolving door but my main point is it is the fans that cause the perception of IU being impatient.  The administration isn't impatient but the fans are and the first sign of trouble the fans lose it and start calling for the coaches head.  I just think the fans need to start showing some patience and stop calling for coaches head after 2 or 3 years.  Most coaches won't leave their establish job for IU because they know if they don't turn it around right away they will lose the fan base.

Missed tournament 7 of last 11 years.  Missed first 2 years of new coach's tenure and not getting the warm and fuzzies about next year.  Since you keep appointing yourself the fan police, when exactly is it ok to be upset with the results?  3 missed tournaments in a row?  4?  Missing 3 of 4?  4 of 5?  Remember that Tom Crean started from ground zero and was in the Sweet 16 in year 4 and 5.  I patiently watched Davis decline every year.  I patiently watched Sampson get hired because he fit a demographic and he did what Sampson does at that time and blew up the program.  I watched Crean be wildly inconsistent...patiently, for 9 years.  I have watched Miller fumble the ball his first two years and expressing any displeasure in how he has done things is "not being patient".  

He is going to get 4 years and probably more because he will cost a fortune to get rid of, but patience does not require blindness Scott.  I blindly followed IU in my 20's and got a bit jaded in my 30's.  Guys like Rabjohns have been pulling back the veil on IU and showing how bad we have all been ripped off by Indiana for the past 19 years.  I am not willing to just give the benefit of the doubt anymore.  Nobody at the school has shown that they have earned that.  Not the BOT, not McRobbie, not Glass, and not Miller.  Sports is performance based.  This is not a participation trophy league.  You pay millions of dollars a year for a program to win.  Period.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Numbers don't lie

No they absolutely CAN and that is a perfect example of. It was already explained by someone else. It’s literally a logical fallacy. But have at it if it makes you feel better. The best is counting an interim as a part of your list of “coaches.” Right...

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

No they absolutely CAN and that is a perfect example of. It was already explained by someone else. It’s literally a logical fallacy. But have at it if it makes you feel better. The best is counting an interim as a part of your list of “coaches.” Right...

Also bookended his example with Knight's firing (reducing 26 years to 0) and Miller (only been here 2 years), to skew the numbers further. 

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Missed tournament 7 of last 11 years.  Missed first 2 years of new coach's tenure and not getting the warm and fuzzies about next year.  Since you keep appointing yourself the fan police, when exactly is it ok to be upset with the results?  3 missed tournaments in a row?  4?  Missing 3 of 4?  4 of 5?  Remember that Tom Crean started from ground zero and was in the Sweet 16 in year 4 and 5.  I patiently watched Davis decline every year.  I patiently watched Sampson get hired because he fit a demographic and he did what Sampson does at that time and blew up the program.  I watched Crean be wildly inconsistent...patiently, for 9 years.  I have watched Miller fumble the ball his first two years and expressing any displeasure in how he has done things is "not being patient".  

He is going to get 4 years and probably more because he will cost a fortune to get rid of, but patience does not require blindness Scott.  I blindly followed IU in my 20's and got a bit jaded in my 30's.  Guys like Rabjohns have been pulling back the veil on IU and showing how bad we have all been ripped off by Indiana for the past 19 years.  I am not willing to just give the benefit of the doubt anymore.  Nobody at the school has shown that they have earned that.  Not the BOT, not McRobbie, not Glass, and not Miller.  Sports is performance based.  This is not a participation trophy league.  You pay millions of dollars a year for a program to win.  Period.

Each coach should not be blamed for the previous coaching problems.  Each coach coming in should get a minimum of 4 years so they can get a whole recruiting cycle through before making a judgment on them.  If you were in charge Toney Bennett would have been fired because he did not make the tournament his first few years at UVA but they were patient and it worked out fine.  Not saying Archie will turn out like Bennett but he should be given time to prove if he can or not.

Archived