Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

9 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

We are nowhere near as bad as UK fans. UNC fans ran Gut and and the guy who followed him out of town pretty damn fast. 

Those schools are serious about their basketball programs and are actually able to make great hires while our school really doesn't know what the hell it's doing. They claim to have blue bloods expectations while shopping in the bargain bin and then wonder why we aren't winning or respected.

Guthridge was anything but run out of Chapel Hill. In 3 seasons, he went to two Final Fours and won national coach of the year in 1998. He voluntarily retired because of the normal reason: he was 63 years old. Everyone knew he wasn't going to be there forever, but they'd have let him stay as long as he wanted.

And while Doherty's results were mediocre at best, what ultimately did him in at UNC was the fact that he behaved like an ass.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Missed tournament 7 of last 11 years.  Missed first 2 years of new coach's tenure and not getting the warm and fuzzies about next year.  Since you keep appointing yourself the fan police, when exactly is it ok to be upset with the results?  3 missed tournaments in a row?  4?  Missing 3 of 4?  4 of 5?  Remember that Tom Crean started from ground zero and was in the Sweet 16 in year 4 and 5.  I patiently watched Davis decline every year.  I patiently watched Sampson get hired because he fit a demographic and he did what Sampson does at that time and blew up the program.  I watched Crean be wildly inconsistent...patiently, for 9 years.  I have watched Miller fumble the ball his first two years and expressing any displeasure in how he has done things is "not being patient".  

He is going to get 4 years and probably more because he will cost a fortune to get rid of, but patience does not require blindness Scott.  I blindly followed IU in my 20's and got a bit jaded in my 30's.  Guys like Rabjohns have been pulling back the veil on IU and showing how bad we have all been ripped off by Indiana for the past 19 years.  I am not willing to just give the benefit of the doubt anymore.  Nobody at the school has shown that they have earned that.  Not the BOT, not McRobbie, not Glass, and not Miller.  Sports is performance based.  This is not a participation trophy league.  You pay millions of dollars a year for a program to win.  Period.

I think you are better suited over at Rivals where you can be with the rest of the doom and gloom crowd.  I left that place to get away with those type of fans but it seems like a few is trying to spread their gloom to other boards now.  This board is made up of mainly level headed fans who can see it will take a few years for Archie to build his type of team but we are now getting some of the rivals fans coming over here.  at least I know that the mods on here won't take some of the crap that rivals board did because they really have no mods.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Each coach should not be blamed for the previous coaching problems.  Each coach coming in should get a minimum of 4 years so they can get a whole recruiting cycle through before making a judgment on them.  If you were in charge Toney Bennett would have been fired because he did not make the tournament his first few years at UVA but they were patient and it worked out fine.  Not saying Archie will turn out like Bennett but he should be given time to prove if he can or not.

He is being given time.  You want him to be free from any and all criticism during that time though.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think you are better suited over at Rivals where you can be with the rest of the doom and gloom crowd.  I left that place to get away with those type of fans but it seems like a few is trying to spread their gloom to other boards now.  This board is made up of mainly level headed fans who can see it will take a few years for Archie to build his type of team but we are now getting some of the rivals fans coming over here.  at least I know that the mods on here won't take some of the crap that rivals board did because they really have no mods.

There are not Rivals fans and there are not HSN fans Scott.  There are IU fans.  I am sure I am not the only one who gets tired of you being a gatekeeper on who can have what opinion and the only opinion you can accept is the one that aligns 100% with yours.

Miller may build a team in a few years and he may not.  You simply sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "will too" is not a better argument than what has been laid out before you as a potential counter outcome.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is being given time.  You want him to be free from any and all criticism during that time though.

I just think all the fans doom and gloom toward the coach and the program hurts a lot more than you realize.  To me the main reason the recruiting this spring has went down is not because of the product on the floor but how the fans reacted to the season.  If the fan base turns on the coach after two short years then why would you want to come here and play.  Every coach who goes against IU in recruiting will use this as a negative tactic in recruiting and these kids and families can see the responses on social media.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There are not Rivals fans and there are not HSN fans Scott.  There are IU fans.  I am sure I am not the only one who gets tired of you being a gatekeeper on who can have what opinion and the only opinion you can accept is the one that aligns 100% with yours.

Miller may build a team in a few years and he may not.  You simply sticking your fingers in your ears and saying, "will too" is not a better argument than what has been laid out before you as a potential counter outcome.

Never said he will turn it around but I think he should be given a normal time to turn it around.  If patience wasn't shown the world would have never seen how good of a coach K was because his first 4 seasons was pretty bad.  Villanova was pretty mediocre in wright's first few seasons but they were patient and now he has won 2 championships. 

@IU Scott this is the second time you habe skimmed over this question or similar.  It's a very fair question.  His posts this morning have been jam packed with stats and facts.  There are more hope so's going into next season than promises.  

I have a question.  Will you list all the promises you see going into next season?  Will you also answer crazys question?  "when exactly is it ok to be upset with the results?  3 missed tournaments in a row?  4?  Missing 3 of 4?  4 of 5?"

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think all the fans doom and gloom toward the coach and the program hurts a lot more than you realize.  To me the main reason the recruiting this spring has went down is not because of the product on the floor but how the fans reacted to the season.  If the fan base turns on the coach after two short years then why would you want to come here and play.  Every coach who goes against IU in recruiting will use this as a negative tactic in recruiting and these kids and families can see the responses on social media.

If the product was decent on the court the negative reaction would never have been an issue.  

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And that is your opinion.  In my opinion the negative recruiting would be more along the lines of:

1.  Did Romeo's draft stock improve while at IU?  Did it stay the same?  Did it get worse?

2.  Does IU appear to run an offense that will highlight your strengths?

3.  They lost 12 of 13 games last year.  It appeared they had an internal issue that the coaching staff could not fix.  Almost all of the players are still there...are you walking into another toxic lockerroom at IU?

Then way down the list...hey, they have missed the tournament 70% of the time for the past few years and the fans are pretty pissed about that.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not seeing the doom and gloom that you speak of. I see fans expressing their displeasure with the state of the program over the past 20 years. I like CAM, I think he was the best that we could do. That says a lot. Not a KNock oN CAM but a hug knock on our program. 

Why is it a big deal for fans to say they see red flags and have concerns about next year. Do we really think we improved from year 1 to year 2. We had a senior all conference type player a heart and soul of your team and a lottery pick and we won 3 more games than the previous year. I know injuries were huge but all teams have them and yet do not lose 12/13. The locker room issues should have been addressed and taken care of before it killed a good thing. At the end of the day as coach you make 3mil a year to be the CEO of this program and it's all on you, good and bad.

Call it gloom but I do not see us being better but I do expect us to make the tournament and that is important. That is the key to recruitment. 

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@IU Scott this is the second time you habe skimmed over this question or similar.  It's a very fair question.  His posts this morning have been jam packed with stats and facts.  There are more hope so's going into next season than promises.  

I have a question.  Will you list all the promises you see going into next season?  Will you also answer crazys question?  "when exactly is it ok to be upset with the results?  3 missed tournaments in a row?  4?  Missing 3 of 4?  4 of 5?"

I told you the coach should be given 4 years to build their team and should not be on the hot seat from t he fans until then.  I really don't know what to expect this year but I think you will see improvement playing more as a team and not being reliant on just two players.  I think the 3 point shooting will be better because the two guys to shoot the most were the two with the worst shooting percentage.  I really feel like RP will be a lot better and be a great leader and I also think Brunk's mentality will help this team.  I see Hunter coming in next year and showing what everyone saw in practice last year before his injury.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Now that's crazy. If any recruit and family would be honest they will tell you that losing , the chemistry issue and the negative recruiting is what turns them off of our program.  Saying it's the fans is the easy way out. To think any differently is absurd. 

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And that is your opinion.  In my opinion the negative recruiting would be more along the lines of:

1.  Did Romeo's draft stock improve while at IU?  Did it stay the same?  Did it get worse?

2.  Does IU appear to run an offense that will highlight your strengths?

3.  They lost 12 of 13 games last year.  It appeared they had an internal issue that the coaching staff could not fix.  Almost all of the players are still there...are you walking into another toxic lockerroom at IU?

Then way down the list...hey, they have missed the tournament 70% of the time for the past few years and the fans are pretty pissed about that.

Every coach in America worth anything is using that against us. Not our impatient crazy fans. Trust me. I am no insider but I am close to many people close to some of our targets. 12/13 has been said by most coaches recruiting against us as well as how Romeo was used and his draft stock

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Now that's crazy. If any recruit and family would be honest they will tell you that losing , the chemistry issue and the negative recruiting is what turns them off of our program.  Saying it's the fans is the easy way out. To think any differently is absurd. 

You saw it with the tweets between Brook's mother and Franklin's mother about the fans after one of the losses.  I also read an interview with Biancardi the ESPN recruiting expert say that fans can have a negative impact on a program.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You saw it with the tweets between Brook's mother and Franklin's mother about the fans after one of the losses.  I also read an interview with Biancardi the ESPN recruiting expert say that fans can have a negative impact on a program.

I'll just chime in and say this. It's an easy out for recruits parents to say that when they intend to choose the death star. That's why they had Brian Snow float the idea out there 30 or so days before. When I tweeted back to Keion's Mother saying hey...you did see what Kentucky fans did to the official, you did see they rip their players apart, you did see they wish players would transfer or leave,etc.....she didn't reply. Why? Because she knew her original comment about fans was 1 Hundy percent hypocritical. 

16 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys -- Again, let's get this thread back on track. If you want to continue the above discussion you can start a thread on the main board. Thanks.

There are a lot of threads/topics already discussing this topic ad nauseam. Please take it there. I for one am not interested in dissecting this in every single thread. We get it, we really do. 

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

There are a lot of threads/topics already discussing this topic ad nauseam. Please take it there. I for one am not interested in dissecting this in every single thread. We get it, we really do. 

Yes, so is the consensus that we are out on LQ? 

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I told you the coach should be given 4 years to build their team and should not be on the hot seat from t he fans until then.  I really don't know what to expect this year but I think you will see improvement playing more as a team and not being reliant on just two players.  I think the 3 point shooting will be better because the two guys to shoot the most were the two with the worst shooting percentage.  I really feel like RP will be a lot better and be a great leader and I also think Brunk's mentality will help this team.  I see Hunter coming in next year and showing what everyone saw in practice last year before his injury.

Thank you for responding.   You posted the 4 year answer above me as I typed the question.  

The only promises on that list are that our 2 worst and 2 volume 3 point shooters are off the team.  We HOPE that translates to improvement with addition by subtraction bit that is no guarantee.  As crazy pointed out, Green historically has been a streaky shooter and has his major ups and major downs.  We HOPE he can become.more consistent and I think he will.  We HOPE Rob takes the sophomore jump and I think he will, he's a gamer.  We HOPE Hunter is serviceable and even close to pre injury.  We HOPE Brunk has the moxie to be a culture shifter.  I'll add.  We HOPE Deron can stay healthy.  We HOPE Smith improves his shot, handle and decision making.  We HOPE Al,  Rob, Hunter, and Smith can bring improved shooting.   We HOPE Demezi can get it.  

I think I can hang one promise on the board and I started a thread on it.  DEFENSE, I promise we won't roll out undersized 4 guys to defend the five.  That is huge and should be talked about, a lot.  

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It's all crap. Are u going to believe the parents of a kid that strung us along and then when the only coach in America that says I see you as a OAD and my track record speaks for it self on getting guys to the NBA, or believe the many others that say and freely share it on what is being said about the STATE of our program not the FANS

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just chime in and say this. It's an easy out for recruits parents to say that when they intend to choose the death star. That's why they had Brian Snow float the idea out there 30 or so days before. When I tweeted back to Keion's Mother saying hey...you did see what Kentucky fans did to the official, you did see they rip their players apart, you did see they wish players would transfer or leave,etc.....she didn't reply. Why? Because she knew her original comment about fans was 1 Hundy percent hypocritical. 

Agree 100%. I'd may buy that excuse from the Brooks if they went somewhere like Virginia or Michigan. I get it, they needed a front because they were leaving the state and disappointing local fans. I hate Kentucky, but I'm not going to fault a kid for choosing there - just be up front and say you want a better chance at winning and Archie hasn't yet proven he can develop guys for the NBA. I'd respect that; I won't like it, but i'll respect it. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree 100%. I'd may buy that excuse from the Brooks if they went somewhere like Virginia or Michigan. I get it, they needed a front because they were leaving the state and disappointing local fans. I hate Kentucky, but I'm not going to fault a kid for choosing there - just be up front and say you want a better chance at winning and Archie hasn't yet proven he can develop guys for the NBA. I'd respect that; I won't like it, but i'll respect it. 

Exactly. Using Brian Snow as a stool pigeon isn't a good look. Funny part is they have to know those of us who have followed recruiting for decades can see right past their nonsense, right?

Archived